Why do some vegans succeed and others fail?

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, I disagree strongly with the implication, or rather the use of the word "vegan"
If you are eating meat 1 meal in 3, sure, any reduction is positive, but being "vegan" is an philosophical decision based on morality. You don't get to be a "passable" husband only beating your wife 1 weekend in 3...

I don't think anyone was advocating describing someone who occasionally eats meat as vegan.

The important takeaway is that ideological purist (regardless of the subject matter) are often not fun to be around.

Reactions: Lou
I don't think anyone was advocating describing someone who occasionally eats meat as vegan.

The important takeaway is that ideological purist (regardless of the subject matter) are often not fun to be around.
Maybe not meat, but there are some who want eggs to be 'vegan friendly' if they fit certain standards, and g0rph was responding to this, which suggests it's okay-

I'm going to ignore "societal pressure" for now but just keep in mind that it pretty much up to each individual. Can I get away with saying it's only as important as you want it to be?

IMHO, there is too much emphasis on personal purity. Trying to be perfect drives people crazy. In school, 70% is passing. So a "passable" vegan only needs to eat vegan 2 out of 3 meals. :)

Reactions: KLS52
It will never be they'll just have to be happy being vegetarian
Yeah, what is up with that? I read so many posts on vegan forums that include non vegan foods, and just one comment on how those additions and the OP gets in a huff about being vegan but still eats.... :ignore: . Usually a whole bunch of others will come to their defence, saying we shouldn't put people down or something. Ends with vegans being called extremists and why no one likes us....

I don't care about people being mostly vegan or whatever, but own up to it! Eggs and dairy aren't vegan regardless of how they're found. Same reasoning as why we have laws on humans called abuse of a corpse. It isn't done, it's unacceptable

I was rewatching a Hell’s Kitchen episode was kinda cringey when she said she’ll eat meat if she’s drunk, Ramsay says you’re a part time vegetarian and she says no I’m a full time vegetarian…. Btw I’ll taste the food because I know that’s important.

Sure, it's always possible to find some vegan products, but in many parts of the country, selection/variety is extremely limited.
The lack of convenience and easy availability is still remarkable.

Yes, compared to some years ago variety and availability is now stunning in many places but compared to omnivore products... 90% of products or even more available at a "normal" grocery store/supermarket are simply not suitable for vegans. (Nope, not everyone is a wfpb vegan.)

Yes, compared to some years ago variety and availability is now stunning in many places but compared to omnivore products... 90% of products or even more available at a "normal" grocery store/supermarket are simply not suitable for vegans.
There is no "normal" store in the world(except a butcher's shop) where 90% of products are not suitable for vegans. This is plainly nonsense unless I am somehow misinterpreting the statement?

Last edited:
Well, I guess you did misinterpret the statement then...
Please explain in that case.

I go into pretty much ANY store...`(I will go through 1 from memory)
On my left, fruit and veg.
100% vegan
On my right, hardware (possibly 90+% vegan)
A little further...bread (98% vegan)
A little further...Biscuits, cakes (20% vegan)
Further, on my left, dry pasta and sauces (90% vegan)
Next, various rices and dried beans, peas, lentils (100% vegan)

Next, the meat and fish section (1% vegan)

Next, the vegetarian and vegan section (80% vegan)

Next canned goods, tomatoes, beans, lentils, mushrooms, etc (80% vegan)

Next, juices, sauces, butters, milks (40% vegan)

Next, beers (90% vegan)

Next Frozen food (50% vegan)

Next Crisps, nuts, popcorn etc (50% vegan)

Next Sweets, chocolate (10% vegan)

Next pet supplies (30% vegan)

Next kitchen stuff (90% vegan)

So, please, tell me how that store is 90+% non-vegan??

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Emma JC
oh, and a fish market.
Well I include that in "butchers"
But yes, there are also "delicatesan" shops too, although I doubt they reach 90% non-vegan. As for a "normal store", that's plainly wrong.

I think that sometimes new vegans are a little too strict with themselves, and it causes them to fail. I remember one new vegan that failed. He had posted a video, several months previous, about this long multi store search trying to find a gelatin free antihistamine. All while he was wheezing and could barely breathe.

I think going cold turkey without doing any planning is a recipe for failure. Do the reading and research. Sign up for a vegan meal delivery service. Go to the library and check out some books. Sign up for an app that plans meals and gives a shopping list. All before making the plunge.

And most of all. When they fail, just encourage them to remove as many animal products from their diet, and allow them to move gradually toward being vegan.

Remember, vegetarians are just future vegans.

Last edited:
I think that sometimes new vegans are a little too strict with themselves, and it causes them to fail. I remember one new vegan that failed. He had posted a video, several months previous, about this long multi store search trying to find a gelatin free antihistamine. All while he was wheezing and could barely breathe.
Yep, this is plainly a bit silly.
I haven't even given my hayfever tablets a second thought to be honest. I simply buy the unbranded ones which cost 1/3 the price. I've no idea on ingredients although I'll probably check now.

Reactions: Lou
Yep, this is plainly a bit silly.
I haven't even given my hayfever tablets a second thought to be honest. I simply buy the unbranded ones which cost 1/3 the price. I've no idea on ingredients although I'll probably check now.

I just bought some in the tablet form. The capsules seem to be the issue.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
A lot of it has to do with a persons ability to find (and afford) vegan products. Also social pressure and family dynamics plays a role.

In the end, and movement toward veganism should be seen as a positive thing. It should be seen as a spectrum, not black and white, and an all or nothing mindset is not helpful.
Vegan grains, beans, veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds are NOT expensive. Packaged and frozren foods tend to be pricey, but those
do not have to be when you make them yourself. Studies show that whole food vegans spend less than omnivore humans do
on food. ALSO, you have to figure in any "cost" as the health benefits which result in less heart disease, diabetes, arthritis,
and many cancers, among other issues. If you think its' pricey, you either pay now, or LATER. I prefer to have my health NOW.

Of course, the lives of the animals are another issue of moraility and ethics. Are you aware that US citizens subsidize the entire animal ag industry (factory farms actually) with $40 billion every year?. This is deliberately done to lower the cost of animal ag products and get humans to buy
\and eat MORE of them. Animal ag also gets much lower prices on the soy and corn they buy as well...
Look up www.meatonomics.com

Vegan grains, beans, veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds are NOT expensive. Packaged and frozren foods tend to be pricey, but those
do not have to be when you make them yourself. Studies show that whole food vegans spend less than omnivore humans do
on food. ALSO, you have to figure in any "cost" as the health benefits which result in less heart disease, diabetes, arthritis,
and many cancers, among other issues. If you think its' pricey, you either pay now, or LATER. I prefer to have my health NOW.
Not everybody is mentally capable of sustaining such a harsh diet. (You might not find it harsh but not everybody is you) Some of us need fake meats which are expensive, plus we have to buy supplements and specifically vegan products that cost twice as much as their animal counterparts.

Not everybody is mentally capable of sustaining such a harsh diet. (You might not find it harsh but not everybody is you) Some of us need fake meats which are expensive, plus we have to buy supplements and specifically vegan products that cost twice as much as their animal counterparts.
We all make our own choices. If you wnt to eat beyiond burgers, etcetera thats's your option. However, there is a medical study that evaluated vegan processed food eating versus whole food vegan. The results were not favorable for processed foods, even vegan. However, I do believe veganism is much more than food, and most humans "fail" at it for social reasons.

He is almost there. But reducing meat consumption from multiple times per day to 1-2 times in 10 days is quite an accomplishment.

Hopefully, he can go the last mile to vegan.

Alex Rodriguez lost 32 pounds last year. He says one of the biggest changes to his diet is eating way less meat.

• Alex Rodriguez says the biggest change he's made to his diet recently is eating less meat.
  • He told People he now eats meat one or two days out of 10, rather than eight days out of 10.
  • Research has shown that people who eat less meat have a lower risk of cancer than heavy meat eaters.
"It all came down to me making some key changes in my habits: 1. More plants, less red meat. 2. Intermittent fasting. 3. Night walks. Small changes led to big results, and I'm feeling better than ever," Rodriguez wrote in the caption.

Rodriguez retired in August 2016. In October 2023, he told Men's Health that he used to eat steak, potatoes, rice, and beans across six or seven meals a day when he was in season.

IMO, I think newer vegans are more likely to fail. Well established vegans in my experience wouldn't consider such a thing. However, in my humble opinion this question has many variables.

Just to name a few:

1/ Personal willpower
2/ Environment (relates to willpower. Like who you live with, etc.)
3/ Goals & motivations (people change, goals change)
4/ Dislike of the foods or the skills to cook them (many people complain of GI issues when starting a vegan lifestyle)

There are many other reasons that come to mind why a person would give up the lifestyle, but again, I think this is more of a new vegan issue. Even for me as a former chef, learning to shop and cook vegan was a bit of a learning curve.

Thank you for sharing. I admire your tenacity to overcome obstacles. I do find it takes courage to be vegan, cheers.

speaking only from my personal experience.... I think for many it is journey as we grow as people

I started learning about it back over 25-30 years ago and tried it and failed, tried many other options and failed and finally the right person at the right time motivated us and now it has been 8 years and no failing.

Some people just never grow in that direction and the ones that we hear about are the "influencers" who may be doing it to grow a channel etc and maybe some day they will go back to it in their journey and mean it for real next time.

Because it is more prevalent now, younger people are learning about veganism and compassion and so their journeys start earlier, thankfully.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
Congratulations on your willingness to change