US Values

JM1

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello vegan community, I'm here to research what are your your core values that inspire and motivate you to have the discipline to remain vegan???

I too love my vegan food and actually find it very freeing to not have to decide if I should have a donut or a chocolate bar or some other fast food when I am out and about. The answer is always no and that makes it easy.

I believe you will find one of 3 reasons people go vegan. For the animals, for the environment or for their health and eventually stay vegan for all three reasons. I, personally, finally made the decision for health reasons and because Dr McDougall showed me a way that appealed to me and made it easy to stay eating this way. The animals and the environment are now as important to me and I continually remind myself by watching things like MILKED just out on YouTube and other docs like Game Changers, What the Health etc.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
There's also the very basic reality that we not only don't need any animal products, but healthier without any in our diet
You don't need to even like animals to vegan, just understand how very wrong it is to use them.
You don't need to like anyone to not wish harm on them.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC
Brown rice and beans with hot peppered oil collard greens.
I grew up eating rice and beans so that's my norm also but those collard greens sound like an additional tasty health health incentive.

Is this your lunch and dinner meal?? How often do you enjoy this meal???

I grew up eating rice and beans so that's my norm also but those collard greens sound like an additional tasty health health incentive.

Is this your lunch and dinner meal?? How often do you enjoy this meal???
I usually make a big pot and use it until it runs out.

I use all kind of beans ( though only one at a time ), peas, and lentils. That makes the flavors different.

I cook the collard greens separately. They are very nutritious, but require a lot of cooking time. I've found frozen collard greens to be easier to digest. Simmer them for 20 minutes, drain, saute with oil, and top with hot peppered sesame oil.

I usually make a big pot and use it until it runs out.

I use all kind of beans ( though only one at a time ), peas, and lentils. That makes the flavors different.

I cook the collard greens separately. They are very nutritious, but require a lot of cooking time. I've found frozen collard greens to be easier to digest. Simmer them for 20 minutes, drain, saute with oil, and top with hot peppered sesame oil.
Unless you have an Instant Pot! :grinning:
I used to make spicey black eyed peas and collards quite frequently, I forgot about that
I now prefer kale, with onions, loads of nooch, lemon juice, salt/pepper

:)I usually make a big pot and use it until it runs out

I like the sound of your recipe :)

How did you learn how to cook vegan food?

Were you ever on the fence, wavering back and forth, or were you intentional to strategize the discipline of being vegan?

I always enjoyed my food. I never felt like was denying myself anything. No "discipline" involved.

I went vegetarian at 14 after Diet For A Small Planet by Frances Moore Lappe.

I then went vegan after reading Diet For A New American by John Robbins.

Each time I was enthused by what I read so I didn't have to push myself.

I just tried new products, tried new recipes and built up from there.

Reactions: Lou
Remaining vegan doesn't really require any discipline for me. It's not difficult, and, after all these years, it's automatic.

I consciously decided to be an ethical vegan because I want to avoid contributing to animal exploitation and abuse, but I'd likely still eat an almost entirely vegan diet even if I hadn't made that decision because animal products gross me out and are expensive, and because I'm worried about certain health effects (like mercury in seafood). I think I started eating vegan before I even became an ethical vegan. I also wouldn't buy stuff like fur because the fur industry is violent and totally unnecessary.

Remaining vegan doesn't really require any discipline for me. It's not difficult, and, after all these years, it's automatic.

I consciously decided to be an ethical vegan because I want to avoid contributing to animal exploitation and abuse, but I'd likely still eat an almost entirely vegan diet even if I hadn't made that decision because animal products gross me out and are expensive, and because I'm worried about certain health effects (like mercury in seafood). I think I started eating vegan before I even became an ethical vegan. I also wouldn't buy stuff like fur because the fur industry is violent and totally unnecessary.
You mean to tell me that after years of eating animals you quit cold turkey, LOL :grinning: just like white no gray area in between?

Here is a collection of introductory vegan diet resources I put together a long time ago. Still very useful

• Informative
Reactions: Lou
😃Here is a collection of introductory vegan diet resources I put together a long time ago. Still very useful

Thanks alot buddy 😃

Hello JM1,

It isn't a matter of "discipline".

I completely enjoy my food.
I understand food is good and to be enjoyed, but with so much variety.
WHA TMAKES YOU CHOOSE THE VEGAN DIET?
WHY ARE YOU VEGAN/ DID YOU GROW UP VEGANOR DID YOU ADOPT IT LATER IN LIFE? AND FOR WHAT REASONS

I too love my vegan food and actually find it very freeing to not have to decide if I should have a donut or a chocolate bar or some other fast food when I am out and about. The answer is always no and that makes it easy.

I believe you will find one of 3 reasons people go vegan. For the animals, for the environment or for their health and eventually stay vegan for all three reasons. I, personally, finally made the decision for health reasons and because Dr McDougall showed me a way that appealed to me and made it easy to stay eating this way. The animals and the environment are now as important to me and I continually remind myself by watching things like MILKED just out on YouTube and other docs like Game Changers, What the Health etc.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
ARE YOU AT LIBERTTY TO SHARE WHAT Dr McDougall showed YOU, that appealed to YOU and made it easy to stay eating this way. .?