Advice regarding already bought food with milk in it

piggyangelz

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello cool people! I am having trouble navigating my values in this situation as a brand new vegan. I'd appreciate some more seasoned vegans giving their 2 cents as I have no vegans around me to rely on.
Last week, as a vegetarian, I went to the store and bought a pack of English muffins. I thought they were a great choice.. Until I watched dominion. Welp, no more milk. The muffins have milk in them and I was debating internally on whether or not to eat them. 2 of my other family members are vegan, and 1 doesn't eat English muffins. My question is this: Is it morally acceptable or justifiable to eat these muffins considering I would not actively create demand, as I won't be buying these again? Or should I jut toss them because it's just baseline not vegan to have cow's milk?

THANK YOU!

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I never advocate wasting food, so I wouldn't toss the English muffins. If you are super uncomfortable eating them, maybe give them to someone you know who would eat them. That said, you bought them as a pre-vegan, and if you're OK with eating them, chalk it up to the vegan learning curve, given that you won't be buying them again.

I've been on the vegan path since 2007, and I still mess up, either misreading labels or forgetting to read them once in a while. There's no way to be a perfect vegan, and given that you're new at it, it's going to take a while to learn the ins and outs. I can't take credit for the following quote, but I read it years ago on another veggie board, and it serves me well: Veganism is a journey, not a destination. :)

Wow. Thank you so much for your advice. This helped me a ton. I think I'll maybe give them to my neighbor, I don't know why I didn't think of that lol. Have a great day, and thank you again!

Something to think about. Veganism is not the idea that you suddenly can't eat meat and milk etc. Rather, it's about not contributing to demand or the use/harm of other animals, as you note. So, eat those muffins because that's already happened. Of course some people find that they cannot in all good conscience eat or use animal products anymore and that's fine. It just is not a requirement of the ethical principles.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou