Which Daily supplements do you Consume?

kislyjviktor45

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello everyone! I'm a newbie to the vegan scene and would love to hear your thoughts on food supplements. What kinds of supplements do you incorporate into your daily life? How do you view them in terms of veganism and overall well-being? Appreciate any advice and recommendations!

Reactions: Micks
lots of whole foods
I don't think "Whole Foods" is considered a supplelment.

However....Brian is eating walnuts , I suppose as a boost for Omegas
I used to eat a bag of apricots just before giving blood. So I guess one can sometimes consider some foods as supplements. also there are all the fortified foods - foods fortified with B12, or calcium, etc.

I add ground flax seed to my oatmeal for the ALA Omegas. And I sometimes eat fortified nutritional yeast. Also I have some Chia seeds and Hemp seeds in the frig. but I don't eat them on a regular basis.

My multi is vegan - it's DEVA tiny tablets.
My Omega 3 is a vegan DHA/EPA blend
My B12 is vegan
I went back to non-vegan D. the Non-vegan D is way cheaper and supposed to work better.
almost forgot ....
at night I sometimes take Melatonin and sometimes a Tums (calcium).
I've been worried about my Magnesium levels so I may start supplementing that too.

Reactions: Micks and Emma JC
@Lou I thought about Magnesium recently, but found out that many of my favorite foods are good sources.

Currently I take a B-12 supplement and a Vitamin D with calcium supplement. Some time ago I was found to be low enough in D to need a prescription-strength supplement. I had thought I was getting enough D from sunshine during the warmer months.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
B12 2000 mcg once weekly
D3 (non vegan) 2000 IU a day (I've been tested and retested)
Algae DHA/EPA combined value 300
I capsule powdered tumeric and black pepper 4:1 ratio. I take one or two a day
I also now capsule organic amla (for cholesterol) and take one a day

@Lou I thought about Magnesium recently, but found out that many of my favorite foods are good sources.

Currently I take a B-12 supplement and a Vitamin D with calcium supplement. Some time ago I was found to be low enough in D to need a prescription-strength supplement. I had thought I was getting enough D from sunshine during the warmer months.

I do Chronometer and Magnesium and Potassium intake are usually an issue. Potassium can be toxic so I just plan on supplementing Mg.

I too was diagnosed with a D - deficiency. I'm not taking a prescription strength supplements but I am taking what my doctor recommended

• Friendly
Reactions: Tom L. and Emma JC
So, since I'm on my 30-day Wall Pilates challenge more info about you can find here, I've been focusing on nutrient-rich foods. I find that B12 is essential for vegans, so I incorporate a supplement for that. Also, omega-3 from algae oil has been great for overall health. Remember, supplements can support your vegan lifestyle, but a well-rounded diet is key.
It's DHA from algae

Reactions: Micks
Yes. but .

At some point algae was taken from the ocean. but then its grown in a vat or tank. then its harvested. Then several laboratory processes are involved with the extraction and purification.

Yes. but .

At some point algae was taken from the ocean. but then its grown in a vat or tank. then its harvested. Then several laboratory processes are involved with the extraction and purification.
Are you referring to my comment-about dha from algae?
The op referred to omega 3's from algae and I didn't see the reason to get algae for omega 3s when it's the only preformuated source of DHA
Omegas alone don't guarentee you the conversion to the useable DHA/EPA, only ala

Edit: I meant to say omegas only provide ALA, which has a poor conversion rate to DHA, which is only found in sea foods, both fish (which eat the plants) and the direct source which is plants

Last edited:
Are you referring to my comment-about dha from algae?
yes
The op referred to omega 3's from algae and I didn't see the reason to get algae for omega 3s when it's the only preformuated source of DHA
huh?
Omegas alone don't guarentee you the conversion to the useable DHA/EPA, only ala
um. I don't think ALA is a guarantee either. From what I understand the conversion process from ALA to DHA/EPA is slow and slows down even further as we age.

yes

huh?

um. I don't think ALA is a guarantee either. From what I understand the conversion process from ALA to DHA/EPA is slow and slows down even further as we age.
Omega 3 is only ala, you're right, it's not a guarentee of the bio available DHA! That was my point. No reason to take algae oil for omega 3's, we can get those from regular foods.
Algae is the best (only?) source of formulated DHA/EPA

I now see what I worded poorly and edited

Omega 3 is only ala, you're right, it's not a guarentee of the bio available DHA! That was my point. No reason to take algae oil for omega 3's, we can get those from regular foods.

I now see what I worded poorly and edited
You're still saying it wrong. or maybe you are already experiencing dementia from not getting enough Omega 3 in your diet.
I know you know this stuff. We have discussed it in other threads.

But for the sake of clarity and for anyone else reading this.
Omega 3 refers to a group of fatty acids. Fatty acids. play a role in heart health and they also think it plays a role in "brain health".

There are like 10 different types of Omega 3s found in our bodies and our foods. ALA, DHA, and EPA are the most common and best known.

ALA can be found in seeds and nuts. DHA and EPA are found fish and some sea vegetables.

Our bodies can convert ALA to DHA and EPA but it's not something that we can safely rely on. Especially as we get older.

So for most of us the most reliable source of DHA and EPA are supplements made from algae.

'nuff said?

• Agree
Reactions: Brian W
I have a vegan multivitamin and
another vegan tablet with extra minerals.

I would recommend them anyway with any diet to help the body’s immune system, I have given them to friends and I give some smaller ones to my children.
I have been used to multivitamins since childhood it is not a new thing for me at 50,

Reactions: Brian W
You're still saying it wrong. or maybe you are already experiencing dementia from not getting enough Omega 3 in your diet.
I know you know this stuff. We have discussed it in other threads.

But for the sake of clarity and for anyone else reading this.
Omega 3 refers to a group of fatty acids. Fatty acids. play a role in heart health and they also think it plays a role in "brain health".

There are like 10 different types of Omega 3s found in our bodies and our foods. ALA, DHA, and EPA are the most common and best known.

ALA can be found in seeds and nuts. DHA and EPA are found fish and some sea vegetables.

Our bodies can convert ALA to DHA and EPA but it's not something that we can safely rely on. Especially as we get older.

So for most of us the most reliable source of DHA and EPA are supplements made from algae.

'nuff said?
Where was I wrong? You've just reworded what I've been saying. 🙄

Where was I wrong? You've just reworded what I've been saying. 🙄
Well you Did ask.

Omega 3 is only ala,
Omega 3 is not only ALA. It has Three main Components.
ALA, DHA, and EPA.
There are even more components, too.

you're right, it's not a guarentee of the bio available DHA! That was my point.
agreed
No reason to take algae oil for omega 3's, we can get those from regular foods.
if you substitute ALA for Omega 3, you are right. But since Omega 3 does not equal ALA, that statement is incorrect. I suppose its and easy mistake to make
probably. I'm not sure but maybe all the worlds DHA and EPA ultimately come from algae. That is probably where the fish get it too.

The three main omega-3 fatty acids are alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). ALA is found mainly in plant oils such as flaxseed, soybean, and canola oils. DHA and EPA are found in fish and other seafood.​

I'm not sure but maybe all the worlds DHA and EPA ultimately come from algae. That is probably where the fish get it too.

The three main omega-3 fatty acids are alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). ALA is found mainly in plant oils such as flaxseed, soybean, and canola oils. DHA and EPA are found in fish and other seafood.​

Algae is the primary source of DHA/EPA, and yes, how fish get theirs
My real point in my first comment was algael oil would be for DHA while omega 3 is found in so many other plant foods

• Agree
Reactions: Lou