Do the Salvation Arm still make people sing hymns?

Yep, there are a lot of organizations who help the homeless, elderly, and disabled. They just don't have the budget that SA has to advertise with.

I don't see it as a problem with advertizing. I fault the press. For example, here in Nashville they are constantly mentioning the Second Harvest Food Bank. This may be a decent organization, but there are many others that never get mentioned.

Here is an online version of a guide to charitable resources in Nashville:

Resources | Where to Turn in Nashville

It does not provide any information about the charity's policies toward LBGT nor things like requiring attendance at prayer services or other religion-connected activities.

It has numerous, weirdly-named categories. For example, shelters are not listed under "shelters"--they are listed under "day shelters," a term I could not find defined in any on-line dictionary. No cross-reference, either.

one thing that annoys me is the idea that the poor need saving.
What is it about being poor that means someone isn't already saved?
Is being poor a sin?

I think the idea is more that, people in general, need saving. It's just easier to target the needy because they are probably vulnerable and more likely to be willing to listen if they are having a basic need met.

Reactions: Amy SF
well a bit of discussion, and trying to convert people by persuasion is probably ok, but not forcing people to take part in religious ceremonies and prayer(as I keep going on about).
A homeless Christian wouldn't like to have to take part in Islamic rituals, in order to get a bun and some soup.....it wouldn't be fair.

One day I was with a group of people feeding and giving out toiletries to homeless people in Santa Monica. The homeless people said the local churches would sometimes come feed them, but they always had to listen to a sermon before eating...always. They said they never listened to what was said though, all they could think about was how hungry they were. :(

They said it was nice change to get help and have people talk to them without getting preached to. The person who put the group together brought out donated items to them a few times a week and always asked what they needed (socks and food usually), instead of deciding for them what he thought they should have.

Reactions: Amy SF
They are also one of the organizations that pays their head honchos an obscene salary. I'd rather donate to places that use the majority of donations for helping the poor.