Do the Salvation Arm still make people sing hymns?

Blobbenstein

Reaction score
I know it was back in th 1930s but the book Down and Out in Paris, and London has a part where homeless people have to sing hymns etc in order for them to receive some food.
Does anyone know if they still do that?

I think that is wrong, and even a sin to force people to do that sort of thing.

Orwell said he would never give the SA any money after his experience of homelessness.

I certainly hope not. I understand that they are a Christian Organization but it wouldn't be very Christ-like to deny someone help for any reason, Good Samaritan parable and all.

"Our mission: The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination."

They are a very homophobic group. They won't allow homosexuals to be bell ringers (or employees period).

Some years ago they had been contracted by the city to run the soup kitchens. When some legislature was being considered that would allow same sex partners to be included in insurance benefits of their partners, the SA said if it passed, they would shut down the kitchens and no one would get food.

They are a horrible, hateful group.

In recent years, the Salvation Army has come under fire for its lengthy history of anti-LGBT political maneuvering and other incidents. The church has publicly articulated its belief that homosexuality is unacceptable, stating:

Scripture opposes homosexual practices by direct comment and also by clearly implied disapproval. The Bible treats such practices as self-evidently abnormal. ... Attempts to establish or promote such relationships as viable alternatives to heterosexually-based family life do not conform to God's will for society...

The Salvation Army's History of Anti-LGBT Discrimination | Zinnia Jones
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/19/n...tles-lawsuit-on-religious-discrimination.html

They were also caught throwing away donated Harry Potter and Twilight Christmas gifts.
Sally Ann bans Harry Potter and Twilight toys | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

Wondering how much they make in donations? Last year it was 4.08 Billion.
Salvation Army on the Forbes The 50 Largest U.S. Charities List

Reactions: Amy SF
Since then I have slept in a number of Salvation Army shelters, and found that, though the different houses vary a little, this semi-military discipline is the same in all of them. They are certainly cheap, but they are too like workhouses for my taste. In some of them there is even a compulsory religious service once or twice a week, which the lodgers must attend or leave the house. The fact is that the Salvation Army are so in the habit of thinking themselves a charitable body that they cannot even run a lodging-house without making it stink of charity.

(Emphasis added.)

Chapter 29 - Down and Out in Paris and London - George Orwell, Book, etext

some, or one, is too many.

I think making kids in school say prayers and sing hymns is also a sin.

Many Christians would take the opposite view. The believe in "The Great Commission."

Great Commission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yes, that's just about preaching, isn't it. I don't have anything against that, and even that one should be a voluntary listener, I suppose most of the time.

Making children prey to something they may not believe in or not be sure about is wrong.
And the singing of hymns, people should believe in what they are saying, and if they don't they should have the choice not to sing it.

We didn't have much of it at school, but it sort of pushed me to rebel against it, anyway.

you probably wouldn't convert many people to a religion by getting them to parrot words from some text, in the same way you couldn't get someone to learn quantum physics by getting them to parrot words from a physics book.

• yes, that's just about preaching, isn't it. I don't have anything against that, and even that one should be a voluntary listener, I suppose most of the time.
No, I don't see it that way. I think it includes any method of communicating the message, which would include hymns and prayers.
So we should condemn Barbara Streisand for singing Christmas carols? We should ban Bach and much of classical music from the public schools?

No, I don't see it that way. I think it includes any method of communicating the message, which would include hymns and prayers.
So we should condemn Barbara Streisand for singing Christmas carols? We should ban Bach and much of classical music from the public schools?

people can sing what they want. I just don't think people should be forced to sing words whose message they don't necessarily agree with, as an act of worship. As just music I suppose it would be fine, like in a lesson, or performance, of Bach.

I think forcing someone to pray is wrong.

I won't donate to them because of their anti LGBT bigotry.

That's fine, except if you want to help the homeless, the hungry and the poor, about the only agencies available to do this are organizations like the Salvation Army. Is Catholic Charities any more acceptable? If there are all sorts of secular alternative organizations, I have not heard of them.

I think forcing someone to sing hymns is wrong also however, sometimes its fun to sing them when you would like too... not on force..... I have changed my beliefs around i am close between a progressive christian and pagan route because , I think a lot of Christian organizations discriminates and don't display the Love of Christ and compassion and Mercy and Grace ETC....

That's fine, except if you want to help the homeless, the hungry and the poor, about the only agencies available to do this are organizations like the Salvation Army. Is Catholic Charities any more acceptable? If there are all sorts of secular alternative organizations, I have not heard of them.

There are food banks, shelters and agencies, some run by local governments, some by secular organizations, that are worth supporting. There are some where I live. Nobody has to pray or sing hymns to get a meal, a bed or anything else. I recommend anyone interested in this type of charity should investigate locally. If they don't find anything, there is always the opportunity to start something themselves.

Reactions: RascalsMom
There are plenty of secular places that people can go too without fear of being preached too or forced to pray... What shocking at the one we visited today we seen some Vegan items and Organic.... Even tho this i religious one they didn't preach to you or make you believe in God , they just helped the poor like they need to be, i would like to volunteer there.... My dad with the postal service sends the food that the post office collects in May there..

Yep, there are a lot of organizations who help the homeless, elderly, and disabled. They just don't have the budget that SA has to advertise with.

Supposedly a lot of the young homeless in the US are in the LBGT category. If that is true, it makes the concerns about the Salvation Army more relevant.