UK Brexit aftermath/repercussions

As far as I understand we are still heading towards a General Election and the last thing I read was that it will (possibly) be another hung parliament.
It's probably in Labour's interest to postpone the election until after the UK has secured a Brexit extension from the EU. It's also unclear if BoJo can propose an election again now since that bill has already been voted on (and failed). As we remember from May's attempts to get the Withdrawal agreement through, she was stopped by the speaker when she tried to have a vote on essentially the same bill multiple times.

The EU could deny another extension, but they probably would give us one. I think the legal default is still no deal. The Brexit party would probably do well in a GE if we don't leave by October 31st.

I can imagine if I had voted Leave that I would be responding positively to what Boris Johnson is saying. If we did leave by the deadline I wonder if the Tories would do a lot better than people are predicting.

Reactions: shyvas
A summary of the latest Brexit-related news:
  • France has threatened to block another Brexit extenstion
  • BoJo will prorogue Parliament as of tonight.
  • John Bercow will step down as Speaker in the Commons on 31. October.
  • The bill to stop no deal has been granted royal assent, so that's now law.

Reactions: Andy_T
Thanks for the update, IS. I haven't been able to keep up the past few days. :D

Just saw this!

But it will not immediately affect the current suspension of Parliament, which started in the early hours of Tuesday.

This is because no order has been given by the court to cancel the suspension ahead of a full hearing at the Supreme Court in London which starts on Tuesday of next week.
(11. Sept. 2019)

Another Tory has defected to the LibDems - comment by Nicola Sturgeon (SNP leader and First Minister of Scotland):

:lol:

Over here in the US, we have some Republicans defecting from the GOP to become either Democrats or Independents. We dyed-in-the-wool Democrats are a little nervous about the Republicans coming into the Democratic Party, because we don’t like the thought of former Republicans trying to push the party rightward. Is that something that comes up amongst their counterparts in the UK?

Over here in the US, we have some Republicans defecting from the GOP to become either Democrats or Independents. We dyed-in-the-wool Democrats are a little nervous about the Republicans coming into the Democratic Party, because we don’t like the thought of former Republicans trying to push the party rightward. Is that something that comes up amongst their counterparts in the UK?
I'm not sure. The Lib Dems are somewhat middle-of-the-road on economic issues and liberal on social issues, I believe. To my mind they're not really the 'progressive party', anyway, although I think they've attempted to claim that niche in the Brexit era. The Labour party is perhaps the more progressive party, at least since Corbyn became party leader. But I don't think there are any Tories defecting to the Labour party, though. Which makes sense, because they're politically closer to the Lib Dems.

The supreme court is currently working on a verdict on whether the suspension of Parliament was lawful. The case was originally brought by Gina Miller and John Major in an English court (unsuccessful), and by a group of MPs in the highest court of Scotland (successful). Both these groups then came together for the supreme court case. If I understand correctly, a verdict is likely to be made public on Wednesday next week.

Boris Johnson would have no option but to recall MPs to Westminster if the supreme court rules he misled the Queen, senior legal sources told the Observer yesterday.

There is a growing belief in the legal community that the court will find against the government when it hands down its momentous verdict on Johnson’s decision to prorogue parliament.
(22. Sept. 2019)

It'll be an interesting week in UK politics if this prediction turns out to be correct.

That is the first explanation why people are backing a no-deal Brexit that makes sense to me.

Mind you, sense very likely not for normal British citizens, but for the financiers of this mess who are speculating against British companies and the British currency.

Which, of course, makes Johnson an ordinary thief and con man.

Was also confirmed by Treasury reporting.

Last edited:
That is the first explanation why people are backing a no-deal Brexit that makes sense to me.

Mind you, sense very likely not for normal British citizens, but for the financiers of this mess who are speculating against British companies and the British currency.

Which, of course, makes Johnson an ordinary thief and con man.

Was also confirmed by Treasury reporting.
Doesn't surprise me at all!

BoJo is about to propose a deal to the EU, which they are very likely to reject.

The PM is also rumoured to be planning another suspension of Parliament next week.

I think if the opposition parties really want to avoid crashing out of the EU without a deal, they will need to declare no confidence in the government and get behind a common PM candidate.

- "Same procedure as last year, Miss Sophie?"
- "Same procedure as EVERY year, James!"

This is a British sketch that ironically is not that familiar to British audiences, but has been played on German TV every New Year's eve for about 50 years...

Last edited:
There are indications that BoJo may have agreed with Hungary that they will veto the Brexit extension!

TLDR says this was discovered only because the Hungarian foreign minister and ambassador couldn't sneak out the back door of the Cabinet office and avoid the press as Extinction Rebellion had been spraying the street with fake blood!