UK Brexit aftermath/repercussions

They have had three years to come up with something. All they have been saying is what they didn't want and ruled out all the other options then they have this faux outrage when we end up in this situation.:rolleyes:

It's been dragging on for far too long. The first mistake was voting for May who was a remainer and the 2 nd one was not to have sent a more competent negotiating team to Brussels.

I don't think we can blame the prorogation on the MPs, however dysfunctional they are as a group. The were elected on widely different party programmes, and the current makeup of parliament is such that you need all the opposition parties to work together in order to stop any of the government's plans.

The PM must take the full responsibility for the prorogation. He could have easily called a general election and let the voters decide before Halloween, but no, he decided to act like a true authoritarian instead.

It's been dragging on for far too long.
Absolutely. But I don't think that justifies a no-deal Brexit. It's of course possible that some kind of last-minute solution to the Irish border issue can be found, especially when the alternative is chaos and mayhem. But I'd be surprised.

I don't think we can blame the prorogation on the MPs, however dysfunctional they are as a group. The were elected on widely different party programmes, and the current makeup of parliament is such that you need all the opposition parties to work together in order to stop any of the government's plans.

The PM must take the full responsibility for the prorogation. He could have easily called a general election and let the voters decide before Halloween, but no, he decided to act like a true authoritarian instead.

Absolutely. But I don't think that justifies a no-deal Brexit. It's of course possible that some kind of last-minute solution to the Irish border issue can be found, especially when the alternative is chaos and mayhem. But I'd be surprised.

Opinions are divided.

If there were a second referendum at this point with only two options - no-deal Brexit or remain - I think remain would win.

At the first referendum there were all sorts of Brexit options being floated.

There shouldn't be a 2 nd one and I also think that the result would be exactly the same.
As I have already stated, opinions are so divided.

There shouldn't be a 2 nd one and I also think that the result would be exactly the same.
As I have already stated, opinions are so divided.
Opinions being so divided is yet another reason why a second referendum ought to be organised, so we can all be satisfied that the decision made (no-deal Brexit) really has the support of the majority. And that they've really had the opportunity to learn the facts of the matter.

If the Brexit side really won again, then any further debate would be moot. We could all accept the decision and get on with our lives.

• Disagree
Reactions: shyvas
On my phone this morning I saw that there is a YouGov poll that puts the Conservative party 12 points ahead of the Labour party now. Tory party are at 33%, Labour at 21% and Lib Dems on 19%.

I just saw a YouGov poll on voting intention which was after Boris Johnson’s decision to prorogue Parliament. Conservative 33%, Labour 22% and Lib Dems only one point behind them on 21%.

If there were a second referendum at this point with only two options - no-deal Brexit or remain - I think remain would win.

Those aren't the only options, though.

The PM could still get a different deal from the EU before October 31st or they could go back to TM's old deal and try again.

There is always the possibility that there is a call for a vote of no confidence in the Government before then!

Those aren't the only options, though.

The PM could still get a different deal from the EU before October 31st or they could go back to TM's old deal and try again.

There is always the possibility that there is a call for a vote of no confidence in the Government before then!

There is a slight possibility of getting TM's deal tweaked. I also opt for a vote of no confidence which would mean a general election. By this time, most Brits will be fed up of hearing about Brexit. What did life seem like before Brexit ? ;)

Someone told me that now with the prorogation it means that the next parliamentary session will be new and so that means TM's old deal could be tried again. I think because it was rejected three times in this parliamentary session that it can't be tried again in this session.

I wonder if the only choice is between No-deal or the TM deal it will get through.

There is a slight possibility of getting TM's deal tweaked. I also opt for a vote of no confidence which would mean a general election. By this time, most Brits will be fed up of hearing about Brexit. What did life seem like before Brexit ? ;)

It's been so long I can barely remember!

Someone told me that now with the prorogation it means that the next parliamentary session will be new and so that means TM's old deal could be tried again. I think because it was rejected three times in this parliamentary session that it can't be tried again in this session.

I wonder if the only choice is between No-deal or the TM deal it will get through.

It's been so long I can barely remember!

I don't think that TM's deal would get through. Too many MPs are not delivering on what their constituents voted for.

Lol, ahas life better before Brexit ?!:D

I just saw there was a survey of about 2000 people for a poll for the Mail on Sunday yesterday:

Conservatives on 35%,
Labour 24%,
LibDems 18%,
Brexit Party on 14%.

Opposition MPs and Tory rebels ensured the bill passed its first stage by 329 votes to 300.
(4. Sept. 2019)
The bill has to pass through the Lords (the upper chamber of Parliament) before it becomes law, and government supporters there are preparing a filibuster to stop it from getting through.

It is actually quite fascinating seeing all the twists and turns in politics at the moment!

It all seems very volatile. I have no idea if what Boris Johnson is doing is going to work as he is obviously trying to appeal to people who voted for The Brexit Party. Sajid Javid announced more public spending yesterday so they are trying to also attract the people who voted for Brexit but may normally vote Labour. I suppose it depends when the General Election is, before or after October 31st.

Mark Carney from the Bank of England has downgraded the warning about a No-deal Brexit as well.

It is actually quite fascinating seeing all the twists and turns in politics at the moment!

It all seems very volatile. I have no idea if what Boris Johnson is doing is going to work as he is obviously trying to appeal to people who voted for The Brexit Party. Sajid Javid announced more public spending yesterday so they are trying to also attract the people who voted for Brexit but may normally vote Labour. I suppose it depends when the General Election is, before or after October 31st.

Mark Carney from the Bank of England has downgraded the warning about a No-deal Brexit as well.
I have been glued to Sky News watching all the shenanigans for the past couple of days. I don't always understand exactly what is going on, but it's so interesting to watch another country's government at work.

^ It's really complicated. I don't understand half of what is going on in parliament.

As far as I understand we are still heading towards a General Election and the last thing I read was that it will (possibly) be another hung parliament.