UK Brexit aftermath/repercussions

There is currently some confusion as to whether a no-deal Brexit can be stopped because BoJo the Clown could drag his feet with calling a general election if his government loses a vote of no confidence. (Apparently, they have 14 days to try to gain confidence again, and after that there has to be 25 working days before a general election, and at the moment parliament is in recess, so nothing is happening until September anyway.)

I'm curious, assuming this actually happens, if the EU could just pretend that everything is pretty much as before until a new UK government has been elected. Because of purdah rules, the BoJo government is prevented from making any big changes while a general election is underway, so they probably wouldn't be able to sign any comprehensive trade deals with the US, for example. Once a new, presumably more EU-friendly government is elected, they could agree not to make any changes to anything affecting the relationship while negotiating a super-tight future relationship, so in effect a softie-soft Brexit. Or they could perhaps even agree that they'll hold a second referendum on whether to rejoin the EU.

A government of national unity doesn't sound a very likely outcome to me, given how afraid everyone is for Corbyn, and Labour's opposition to having anyone else as PM, but I could be wrong. Maybe the "taking control of the timetable and instructing the PM to seek another extension" sounds the most likely to me, given that Parliament has already once before taken control of the timetable and also that the UK has already had one extension.

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain will face shortages of fuel, food and medicine if it leaves the European Union without a transition deal, jamming ports and requiring a hard border in Ireland, official government documents leaked to the Sunday Times show.
(17. Aug. 2019)

And this is the most likely scenario, not the worst case scenario.

Parliament will need to show some responsibility and come to an agreement so they can sort out this mess.

On my phone this morning I saw that there is a YouGov poll that puts the Conservative party 12 points ahead of the Labour party now. Tory party are at 33%, Labour at 21% and Lib Dems on 19%.

o_O OMG.

Boris Johnson is very intelligent, this could work very well for him, or it could backfire spectacularly, lol.

Yes, that is a rather unusual approach to deal with the democratic lawmaking process. (At least since Germany 1933)

My question is - WHAT ELSE do people in the UK need to finally purge out the Tories? :oops:
I expect a lot of people in the UK actually think this is totally fine because they're sick of Brexit taking so much time and effort, and a parliament that can't agree with itself on anything important, and besides 'no deal' would be delivering on the referendum, or so they have been led to believe.

And yes, I too think BoJo is somewhat more intelligent than what his clown persona will have us believe. Intelligence comes in many forms, though, and not all types are well suited for the role of PM. At the moment he's playing a very complex and high stakes card game.

I'm utterly sick of hearing about Brexit. It has dragged on for so long and we have got ourselves into such a stupid position just wasting time for so many years.

I totally agree.

I've privately heard quite a lot of good things about Boris from people who worked with him as London mayor. He is meant to be down to earth despite his education and remembers details of the people who work with him and genuinely seems interested in them.

He did visit my husband's work once and the men said they all really liked him as he wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty when they were showing him the jobs they had to do on the trains. He got oil and dirt all over his hands and clothes while they were showing him how they do one of the procedures.:rofl:

Reactions: shyvas
I'm utterly sick of hearing about Brexit. It has dragged on for so long and we have got ourselves into such a stupid position just wasting time for so many years.

I've privately heard quite a lot of good things about Boris from people who worked with him as London mayor.
He is meant to be down to earth despite his education and remembers details of the people who work with him and genuinely seems interested in them.

He did visit my husband's work once and the men said they all really liked him as he wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty when they were showing him the jobs they had to do on the trains. He got oil and dirt all over his hands and clothes while they were showing him how they do one of the procedures.:rofl:

Parliament has gotten the country into a mess by going against the peoples' will. Even the speaker of the House is a remoaner.

BJ does come across as a more down to earth person compared to many other MPs or former PMs. He also did a good job as mayor of London - much better than the present one.
Even Bercow comes across as partial even though he should be politically impartial.

So why isn't Corbyn calling for a no confidence vote ?

So why isn't Corbyn calling for a no confidence vote ?
Parliament is in recess until 3rd Sept, but Corbyn has indicated he will call for a vote of no confidence once they're back. Of course, he might refrain from such a move if there is reason to believe it will fail because supposedly anti-Brexit MPs won't support it just because, when push comes to shove, they're so anti-Corbyn that they'd rather let Brexit happen and plunge the country into chaos than to allow Corbyn some small victory.

As for the chances of an election happening before 31. October, that is definitely possible. Labour has been weakened by the many campaigns against it, and besides BoJo the Clown is a lot more entertaining than boring old Corbyn, so an election could go well for the Conservatives. But it's still a gamble.

• Wow
Reactions: Andy_T
Ruth Davidson, the Scottish Conservative leader, has resigned. I guess for her the prorogation of Parliament was the final straw. Good for her.

Could it be possible that the planned prorogation, instead of making no-deal more likely, will galvanise the MPs to overcome their hatred for Corbyn, stand up for themselves and for democratic values, and actually find a way to avoid no-deal? Probably not ...

They have had three years to come up with something. All they have been saying is what they didn't want and ruled out all the other options then they have this faux outrage when we end up in this situation.:rolleyes: