UK Brexit aftermath/repercussions

robert99

On the boat
Reaction score
Thought it best to start a new thread on the repercussions of Brexit -
Michael Gove and Theresa May enter Conservative race - BBC News
Justice Secretary Michael Gove is to run to be the next Conservative Party leader and UK prime minister.

Launching her leadership bid in central London, Mrs May - one of the longest-serving home secretaries in history - said the UK needed "strong proven leadership to steer us through this period of economic and political uncertainty and to negotiate the best possible terms as we leave the European Union".

Wikipedia says Boris Johnson has declined running (but there's no source cited):
The following individuals were the focus of media speculation as being possible leadership candidates, but ruled out a bid:
[...]
Boris Johnson, Member of Parliament for Uxbridge and South Ruislip since 2015 (Leave supporter)
Apparently, the deadline for any more bids has just passed now.

Last edited:
Gove says the Tory MP's would n't support BoJo
" He said he had been "trying hard to persuade" Conservative MPs over the course of the week that Mr Johnson was the right candidate to be leader but after reflecting on conversations with colleagues "I realised it was not going to work".

"So I tried as hard as I could but last night, reflecting on this, I came to the conclusion that ultimately Boris could not build that team, could not provide that leadership and that unity.

"It had to fall to someone else. As someone who had argued consistently that we should leave the European Union, and as someone who's experienced at the highest levels in the Cabinet, I felt it had to fall to me," he said."
Such humility and devotion to duty ... :hurl:
Gove's thunderbolt and Boris's breaking point: a shocking Tory morning
"And after years of speculation and manoeuvring, Johnson’s name was not on the list. Johnson once said that there was more chance of him being reincarnated as an olive or finding Elvis on Mars than becoming prime minister.

And thanks to the moves of his erstwhile friend, that appears to be a more accurate prediction than he could have imagined."
BoJo has really upset some people in the Conservative Party and now it's coming back to haunt him.

I saw this article earlier which was a long-term view on Brexit showing what happened to the market after other serious events. The Market’s Response To Crisis
Screen-Shot-2016-06-24-at-9.22.05-AM.png

I just saw this though - Osborne abandons 2020 budget surplus target - BBC News.

It looks like austerity will carry on until 2020 or more.

"The problem of course is, you can't borrow forever,"said Paul Johnson from the IFS.
"So we'll have a few more years of more borrowing, but my guess is this is not the end of austerity, actually this means austerity will just go on for longer because we'll probably have the spending cuts and tax rises right through the 2020s to pay for this."

Not to disparage Jasmijn de Boo, but I guess non-participation in reglemented vegan labeling will be one of the smaller problems that UK vegans will face in case of BREXIT.

The Labour party are still in a shambles. I don't know where this will end up, most probably years of more Conservative party leadership if they can't even hold their party together.

I did laugh at this as I do think it sums up some Jeremy Corbyn supporters. Corbynism recognised as Britain’s fastest-growing religion

Quite a good cartoon for the Conservative party.Week of the long knives | Brexit 2016 | The Times & The Sunday Times
At this point I just want the new Prime Minister to just get on with it and sort out this Brexit mess.

methode%2Fsundaytimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fe48a8428-4098-11e6-b92d-490570782131.jpg