UK Brexit - should the UK leave the EU?

I think Brexit is for the best. I don't like the EU because of the huge taxes they put on small farmers. It means you pretty much have to run a giant corporate farm to produce food in Europe and that leads to pollution and animal abuse. :\

I think Brexit is for the best. I don't like the EU because of the huge taxes they put on small farmers.

@Literary89 , can you explain to me which taxes you are specifically referring to?
I am not aware of any taxes being levied by the EU.
There are quite a few taxes that are levied by the different national governments.
Are you maybe referring to those?

On the other hand, there are quite a number of subsidies paid to farmers that would have to be picked up by the British Government.
Arguably, this could lead to an improvement as British taxpayers now pay more into the Common Agricultural Policy than British farmers receive... How Brexit would affect British farmers

Reactions: Mischief
if she had been here for 30 years she could have taken out citizenship ...
Then she would presumably have had to give up her Singaporean citizenship, and would not have been able to go back and care for her dieing parents? British citizenship is also expensive, so she might not have been able to justify the cost. She probably didn't think they would deport a person who's been married to a Brit for 30 years with two British children and a grandchild ...!

The article said:
Brexit failed to derail the rise of the super-rich ...

At the time of the Brexit vote it was my impression that England's Super-Rich (at least those owning newspapers) were rather in favour of it.

Typically, it is easier to be super rich living in a developing country than in a developed one...

Surely this thing is just a stupid joke with made-up talking points - right ???? o_O

View attachment 14942
Funny, partly true, but still not exactly accurate, and it's also cherry-picking!

The Euro and the Schengen agreement were invented after the UK joined, and these were never meant to be mandatory. Other notable EU countries like Poland, Sweden and Denmark also have their own currency.

The UK's relationship with the EEC/EU has been ambivalent from its inception. The UK tried to join the EEC multiple times early on, but was blocked by French president de Gaulle. The UK started a competing European trading block, EFTA, with other countries that were unwilling or unable to join the EEC at the time: Austria, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Portugal and Switzerland. EFTA still exists, but now only with Iceland, Norway, Lichtenstein and Switzerland.

The mainstream British approach has always been that European issues should be intergovernmental, not supranational. However British politicians have been foolish enough to believe that these issues could be intergovernmental within the context of an organisation that was always on the glidepath to a superstate from its very inception.

As it is, EFTA membership is probably the only way of breaking the impasse, of respecting the result of the referendum after three wasted years with the country in limbo, whilst delivering a compromise. The Republic of Ireland was also a member of EFTA and like Denmark only joined the EEC at the same time as the UK to keep its main agricultural export market.

As it is, EFTA membership is probably the only way of breaking the impasse, of respecting the result of the referendum after three wasted years with the country in limbo, whilst delivering a compromise.
It's doubtful whether the EFTA countries would allow the UK to join.
Senior Norwegian politicians and business figures have rejected Norway-plus, the increasingly touted British cross-party plan for the UK to leave the EU but join Norway in a free trade trade area inside the EU single market.

They attacked the idea as “neither in Norway nor the UK’s interest”. The UK would need Norway’s permission to join its Efta club.
(7. Dec. 2018)

The UK actually joined in agreements with others in the CANZUK association, it is not as profitable though to the UK as staying with the European Union would have been. It hits harder on lower class and struggling people there, while fine for the rich, and it probably worsens things for some animals subject to decisions.