UK Continued EU membership - yay or nay?

Should the UK remain a member state of the EU?

• Yay if reformed according to Cameron's demands

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
The UK has been a member state of the EU since 1973. Is it time to leave?

If you don't know yet, you might think you can form an opinion based on who currently supports the various options. So it's the UKIPers and the conservative part of the Conservative party who wants to leave? Easy! I'm super-liberal, so that means I must want the UK to stay. Right?

Then consider this: Back in '94 when I took part in the referendum in Norway, the parties and organisations that were opposed to membership then were mostly those on the left, some centrists as well as the largest labour union, farmers, fishermen and environment organisations. It was the political and financial elites who wanted to join the union.

The way I see it, the EU in general is pushing a libertarian free-market agenda to the detriment of people, workers' rights, and the environment. The Euro zone has been a catastrophe for some of the weaker economies involved. It doesn't have to be like this. Another future is possible. Leaving the union means the UK can decide its own future.

Who's with me?!

Considering who are the people pushing for exiting the EU, I am not sure whether it would be a step in the right direction...

I think we should stay part of the EU but I think probably some reform might be in order? To be honest I probably should pay more attention to the news more when they talk about the EU but I tend to doze off as it isn't the most exciting subject.

Being part of the EU is generally positive as far as I can see and it makes me wonder why so many people in the UK seem to find it so problematic and want us to leave. I have the same thoughts when I hear people talking so passionately about their negative feelings about the amount of immigrants we have coming here.o_O

Last edited: