August health Challenge (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The awful humidity continues. It's absolutely horrible to have to be outside mid-day here. I got my walk in this morning and, except for a lunch date, will likely begin the house until after dinner. E and I did a couple of errands after dinner last night; too gross to do them any other time.

The cooling towels came in right before my Tuesday night run. It came as a two-pack, so I let my friend borrow one. They stayed cool through the whole run. I forgot to check the temp/humidity levels but I"m guessing they were high because it thunder-stormed later that night.

Oh yeah, so my big news is that I hit the 8km mark. It's a new lifetime record for me! :D

Okay, so part of my emotional/mental health challenge is being kinder to myself. Today I finally booked myself a doctor appointment, which I need for prescription renewal. I also plan to ask for a referral to a counselor. I'll likely be put on a wait list, but that's fine. Then I booked myself a hair appointment for Monday. Normally I would cut my hair myself or just let it grow as it is, but I really want it cut.

Aaaand, I've had disposable income for the first time in years, so I've been going a little crazy and buying myself new clothes and self-care items: tooth whitening kit, waterpik, unscented shampoo, cloth pantyliners, more facial wash and toner, a new pair of slip-on shoes for work. I normally neglect myself terribly, so buying these totally practical items made me feel like I was spoiling myself. Even my clothes are practical: pajamas, workout shirts and pants (which double up as work clothes), more underwear, a new swimsuit to replace the one that got ruined in the hot tub.

Okay, I might have splurged on a pair of wireless earbuds, which I technically could have managed without. But I do work out frequently, so it's a good investment, I think. And I'm about to order a cast-iron dutch oven for a great price. I've been wanting one for years now.

And I bought lots of cat stuff: a bigger litter box that has a charcoal filter, one of those odor-control trash bins for dirty kitty litter, more toys, etc.

And because I'm not totally selfish, I'll be paying for a special-ordered jacket for my father. He has done a lot to help me this year.

ETA: Doing nice things for myself makes me feel selfish. :(

Last edited:
On Thursday, I ran 10km. I did maybe 2-3 walking intervals of 2 minutes, and the rest of it was continuous running.

On Saturday, my friend and I went to the forest and wildlive reserve to use the trails. We ended up doing 8km of mixed running and walking. I got a stitch in my side partway through, and her ankle started to hurt. And there were some steep hills that I ended up hiking instead of running. I wish I had practiced more trail running, since the upcoming race is a trail run. I didn't realize just how much of a difference it would be in terms of obstacles (tree roots, rocks) and steeper hills.

Yesterday I was so tired I showered as soon as I came home and crashed on the couch. Then I woke up, ate dinner, and fell back to sleep. I slept for over 12 hours last night. Today I feel stiff and sore. I pushed myself a little too hard, I think.

• Wow
Reactions: PTree15 and Val
August is nearly over and it hasn't been a good month again for me.

I want to get back on WW as I wanted to lose a bit more weight as I'm seeing people I haven't seen in years next month.

I've had a mango and apple smoothie with some roasted chickpeas and a wholemeal bread roll today so far. So quite healthy.

In August, I've managed to maintain within 2 pounds of my goal weight. (But I prefer to be 2 pounds under, not 2 pounds over, which I am right now. :pout: ) I can't really complain with the heat and humidity we've had. Today is lovely, and I not only got in a good walk, but worked in the yard as well.

Sadly, my fall incentive has been postponed until spring. I'm planning to get together with some high school friends in the Pacific Northwest, and like you, @Moll Flanders, want to look nice. But now I have a few more months that I don't have to think about it. That could be bad. :rolleyes:

I made myself go running on Tuesday, even though I reaaallly didn't feel like it! I did about 6.5 km and felt okay afterwards.

Tonight I'm running with my friend, and we're going to attempt a 12 km continuous run (the distance of our race). I am nervous!!

Reactions: Val and KLS52
Despite all this running, I still have fat on my stomach. I think it's because I'm not doing any strength training. I need to add more muscle to increase my metabolism.

Funny, but incentives don’t seem to work for me. I wanted to drop a few pounds before cape cod but was unsuccessful. Then all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, motivation will kick in and my willpower becomes amazing. So weird. Not sure if the “incentive” makes me more anxious, feeling pressured, so then I crave more of the bad/comfort food.

Reactions: Poppy
Funny, but incentives don’t seem to work for me. I wanted to drop a few pounds before cape cod but was unsuccessful. Then all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, motivation will kick in and my willpower becomes amazing. So weird. Not sure if the “incentive” makes me more anxious, feeling pressured, so then I crave more of the bad/comfort food.
I definitely have a competitive streak!

Reactions: Val and KLS52
I have decided not to buy loaves of bread anymore as I just fall back on it to eat all the time! I like bread too much and it is so easy to smother it in vegan butter, mmm. Better not to have it in the house. I have swapped from bread to crackers as well.

I've made a huge batch of tomato and red lentil soup and some bean dip this morning.

I definitely have a competitive streak!

Yes, so do I. I didn't used to be like this. It started in my final year of uni, for some reason.

I have decided not to buy loaves of bread anymore as I just fall back on it to eat all the time! I like bread too much and it is so easy to smother it in vegan butter, mmm. Better not to have it in the house. I have swapped from bread to crackers as well.

Same here. I buy a loaf of granary ww loaf, slice it and keep the slices in the freezer. I allow myself just one slice per day.

Bread must be one of my most favourite foods. ;)

I do love it so I will still have crackers and maybe tortilla wraps. I'm not cutting it out completely, just not keeping as much of it in the house.

The thing about bread (and pasta) is that they don't fill me up at all. I could easily eat half a loaf of bread in a day. Protein foods fill me up a lot more, even though I don't like them as much or particularly crave them that often. I don't know if anyone else is like that on here?

My doctor is always going on about how bad gluten is for your body as well.

I do love it so I will still have crackers and maybe tortilla wraps. I'm not cutting it out completely, just not keeping as much of it in the house.

The thing about bread (and pasta) is that they don't fill me up at all. I could easily eat half a loaf of bread in a day. Protein foods fill me up a lot more, even though I don't like them as much or particularly crave them that often. I don't know if anyone else is like that on here?

My doctor is always going on about how bad gluten is for your body as well.

I'm the same with carbs. It's due to my body not being able to process refined carbs. They make me feel hungry.
I always try and eat a moderate protein diet which gives me energy and makes me feel less hungry.

It's strange but tortilla wraps made with masa (corn) fill me up far more compared to bread.

I like the Joseph’s brand of lavash wraps/pitas. I do really well with those when I’m counting WW points. They are fairly filling but you know, sometimes I just need to go for a sandwich on a white flour hard deli roll or Italian/Tuscan/boule/bread... Or with some Miyokos butter.

Reactions: Poppy and Val
I like the Joseph’s brand of lavash wraps/pitas. I do really well with those when I’m counting WW points. They are fairly filling but you know, sometimes I just need to go for a sandwich on a white flour hard deli roll or Italian/Tuscan/boule/bread... Or with some Miyokos butter.
Oh well... You have reminded me of lavash, and i remembered that i haven't made hummus yet! I'm just too lazy... (I need to make pickles tomorrow, or this evening), and i don't want to waste my last real weekend on cooking. OTOH, now my blender is here, at the country (i sacrificed it to Gala :lol: ), and sooner or later, i'll have to make hummus, because i have no money for store-brand hummus anymore, but i have ingredients for a decent batch of home-made stuff.:woo:

Reactions: KLS52 and Poppy
I love making hummus. Mine is much better than most of the store-bought varieties. I hate citric acid in my hummus. :yuck:

Reactions: KLS52 and Val
I love making hummus. Mine is much better than most of the store-bought varieties. I hate citric acid in my hummus. :yuck:
And i hate that they (manufacturers) put a bunch of E211, and E202 (plus E330, of course!). While E202 (potassium sorbate) is relatively harmless, i can't say the same about E330 (citric acid) and E211 (sodium benzoate).:hurl: E211 is everywhere, and its main danger is in harm to the nervous system (while my nervous tissue is not in its best condition now).

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Poppy
Status
Not open for further replies.