August health Challenge (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to be expecting to lose weight magically - have never had to actually try very hard before & I like food & sitting on the sofa too much :,D

I had an appointment for a blood pressure check this morning. I had to go in because 6 months ago, it was high - over 140. I’ve worked hard to bring it down, by walking regularly, losing weight and limiting alcohol to nearly nothing. It paid off!!! This morning it was 120/70! Phew! I did not want to go on meds. Now I’m in a cafe having my first coffee of the day. 😊
Have you tried hibicus tea? I'm not one to talk because mine is normally pretty low, but it got really low when I was drinking this! I didn't know, I just liked it plain iced- it's kinda tart like undersweetened berry kool aid to me. I had to quit it, just have it on occasion - it steeps so fast in cold water

I seem to be expecting to lose weight magically - have never had to actually try very hard before & I like food & sitting on the sofa too much :,D

You look good. ;) Perhaps you are actually at your 'normal' weight.

I think that people should be less obsessed with their scales. :oops: If they feel good and are in good health they should have a more relaxed attitude.

Have you tried hibicus tea? I'm not one to talk because mine is normally pretty low, but it got really low when I was drinking this! I didn't know, I just liked it plain iced- it's kinda tart like undersweetened berry kool aid to me. I had to quit it, just have it on occasion - it steeps so fast in cold water
If you could only tell it my mom!🙄 She refuses to drink fine elite Azeri hibiscus tea that i bought for that purpose. (It's not that cr*p in tea bags that is sold in supermarkets,- it's basically chopped flowers, picked and sealed in Azerbaijan). It even has not a single Russian word on the pack (only Azeri, Turkish and English). She doesn't care if i went to the remote community, and deliberately made friends with Azeri man to get a "permanent discount". (Haha, i actually had no choice, as Azeri love making friends, and they will be talking to you a lot, no matter what).😁

I forgot to mention it!:blush: On Aug.5th, it was another big without-booze-versary for me.:devil: 🥴 😁 1.5 years! When i think about it, it seems really weird to me. But, i'm not complaining. OTOH, i wouldn't refuse to have some wine now.😋

Last edited:
There are deer in my area, too! I saw one up close the other week when I went to check on my tomatoes. His horns were still stubby. <3

I've been trying to hit 7km and just can't seem to do it. I got really close at around 6.8. I need to be at 12 within the next month. Eek!

We cancelled our run tonight because it started pouring right before we were going to go. Plus both of us ate dinner late tonight, which would have meant runners cramp for both of us, and we were also both tired in general. It turned out to be a good decision. I did yoga at home and took a long, hot bath. I feel sooo much better now! My hips and glutes were really tight. I'll have to be more mindful about stretching after my runs.

The point of that whole ramble is that I'm hoping the extra rest this week will lead to a better run next week. I'm also going to skip my Sunday night run. I've been pushing myself hard.

My morning walk was muggy, but I saw two teenage twin fawns in one of the alleys in my neighborhood. 😍
There is a deer family in my neighborhood and the mom dad and fawn were just chilling in a front yard a couple doors down. They're so domestic here, even the dogs don't respond. I used to warn people walking dogs that a deer was ahead but haven't found any to react.

We are going through an awful muggy period here. I have old, single pane windows and they are drenched with unrain wetness. My walk this morning was not nearly as invigorating as I would've liked, but that's just how it is in August in Central Virginia.

I managed my two mile morning walk despite the upper body pain. :)

The humidity here just went up. It's going to be in the 70-80 percent range for the next week... yuck.

My plan for this weekend is to buy one of those cooling towels that you can wrap around your neck while working out. I'm hoping that'll help me deal with the heat the next time I go running.

Reactions: PTree15
The cooling towels are sold out at the two stores I checked. I don't feel like running around looking for one, so I'll order it online.

I did find the set of headphones I was looking for. I might run tomorrow after all, just to test them out. And I might try soaking my shirt in cold water to help me stay cool. And I'll get my hair wet too.

Reactions: Val and PTree15
You look good. ;) Perhaps you are actually at your 'normal' weight.

I think that people should be less obsessed with their scales. :oops: If they feel good and are in good health they should have a more relaxed attitude.
Thank you shyvas. Definitely not my normal weight - I was my pre pregnancy weight for years with very little fluctuation. I agree that more focus should be on health which is why I wont 'diet' & would like to just exercise more.

Seems like magic does happen though as I lost 4lbs. Probably just need to be more patient.

Thank you shyvas. Definitely not my normal weight - I was my pre pregnancy weight for years with very little fluctuation. I agree that more focus should be on health which is why I wont 'diet' & would like to just exercise more.

Seems like magic does happen though as I lost 4lbs. Probably just need to be more patient.

I totally agree. It's better to eat a healthy balanced diet and if you are meant to lose those extra kilos, you will do so.

I must say, that you look really healthy, slim and also happy. 🌼

I had hash browns for lunch and now I'm drinking wine. Not a good month again. 🤣

Reactions: KLS52
I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a drinker but not by choice lol. I love the taste of sweet drinks. Alcohol just doesn’t agree with me and just 2-3 sips makes me feel so weird...probably what others call “buzzed”.

I did discover flavored vodka though. I had one of those tiny bottles in Cape Cod. Lasted me three days. :lol: I really liked it!

Reactions: Val and PTree15

You'll be exercising with your baby, then running after him, going to play places! I certainly didn't become overweight after my kids, I lost the weight like you're doing!

Tonight I did a yoga workout at home. It helped with my back pain.

Tomorrow I'm trying for an 8km run, which will be a new record for me. I am dreading it yet also feel excited.

Reactions: PTree15
Status
Not open for further replies.