Are you moving to Vegan or Vegetarian diet?

Andy Brown

http://community.localmasters.com/
Reaction score
Are you moving to Vegan or Vegetarian diet?
Here are just some of the things you should avoid when starting your diet
doh.gif

1) Depending only on highly processed fake meats and soy for proteins.

2) Taking too long to/not supplement on vitamin B12.

3) The superman attitude.

4) "I can get all nutrients from food" attitude.

5) Nutritional Information ignorance : Assuming that USDA databases or other nutrition facts give the content of what's actually in the food, fresh or packaged.

6) "Because plants are plants, and that is the best thing that exists in the world." Okay, let's stop at that.
rockon.gif

I agree with some of the points to an extent - although it seems as though, as soon as you're vegetarian or vegan, everyone's a nutritionist. Nobody gives my meat-eating friends and family any stick about what they put into their bodies and what nutrients they're getting (with the exception of a friend who is a competing athlete, but even then it's just from her trainers and athlete friends). They can eat takeaways, fast food, and highly processed items every day and nobody bats an eyelid. But as soon as someone finds out I don't eat animal products it's "oooh, is it hard staying healthy?" and "where do you get your protein?" and "you know, studies have shown that tofu causes cancer" :rolleyes:

Reactions: ledboots
Also, it's potentially off-putting for those who might otherwise consider going vegetarian or vegan but mistakenly believe that they have to put a ton of effort into monitoring their diets just to stay alive.

Reactions: ledboots
tofu causes cancer ?! OMG! :eek:

In the same way that everything else does :p

Because natural soy foods contain isoflavones, similar to estrogen, some people fear that soy may raise their risks for certain cancers. This is because estrogen is linked to hormonally-sensitive cancers, like breast cancer.

But according to the American Cancer Society, when it comes to soy, isoflavones may act like estrogen, but they have anti-estrogen properties as well. Some studies even show that people who ate soy were less likely to get breast cancer.

“The current research does not support avoiding whole soy foods--even for cancer patients or survivors,” McKindley says.

From: Does Soy Cause Cancer? | Soy Health Risks & Benefits | MD Anderson Cancer Center

Ironically, "you know tofu causes cancer, right?" was said to me last week by someone while they were smoking...

What's the best way to supplement vitamin B12? Is there enough in nutritional yeast if I add it to my dinner?

What's the best way to supplement vitamin B12? Is there enough in nutritional yeast if I add it to my dinner?
I take a tablet of methyl-B12 when I remember, usually a few times a week.
The nutritional yeast only has b12 in it if it's fortified with it, it'll tell on the package if it is.

there are vitamin B12 supplements available in the market at pretty cheap price. Also they are safe to use! You can rely on them for B12.