TV & Film Your favorite underrated movies

Iron Giant was much better than Pixar cartoons IMO. :p I liked Buffalo 66 a lot too. But I haven't seen any of the other ones. :(

I had a hard time with Buffalo 66 because even though I was rooting for the guy to become a better person, I have issues accepting people with clear emotional issues that could be damaging to potential partners, so I was like, "Yay, unconventional love! :love:" at the same time I was like, "GTFO Christina Ricci! He's never going to change! :woo:" It's the same reason I was pretty leery of Eagle vs. Shark, which is otherwise a really tremendously good movie.

I love Pixar, but I would say Iron Giant is equally as awesome as the best of them. :yes: It's a very special movie.

Of course you haven't seen them, they're underrated! I haven't seen a bunch in this thread, including the ones you've posted. It's a little overwhelming, actually.

The one we watched recently, God Bless America, was pretty effin awesome too. Took a long time to decide to watch it, as I don't normally go for glorified killing. :shrug:

I see what you mean. I liked Buffalo 66 and Eagle vs Shark more for the journey than the romantic payoff and just sort of trusted that Lily/Layla would get out if things got too messed up.

love me some underrated movies:

Blast From The Past
Muriel's Wedding
Whalerider
Danny Deckchair

I'm gonna go with 40 Year-old Virgin. As unlikely as the premise seemed, guys will do that **** to you if they find out your still a virgin. Some of those very actions and words I heard myself. I related to that movie on an almost surreal level.

Reactions: cornsail
I'm gonna go with 40 Year-old Virgin. As unlikely as the premise seemed, guys will do that **** to you if they find out your still a virgin. Some of those very actions and words I heard myself. I related to that movie on an almost surreal level.
I related to Paul Rudd's character in that movie.

I related to Paul Rudd's character in that movie.
It was Steve Carrell that I related to. I was 27 when I lost my virginity. After a while, you become apathetic about the whole thing. Sounds weird that one can become 'meh' about sex, but it can and does happen.

Black Dynamite. Awesome kung fu comedy.
"Haha! I threw that **** before I walked in the room!" (Warning, violent :p)
"Who the hell is interrupting my kung fu!?

I liked every post that mentioned at least one film that I agree is underrated.

I will add Napoleon Dynamite to the discussion.

"Cube" and "Cube Zero".

I was channel surfing and came upon Cube. I had no idea what it was and there didn't seem to be any real point to it, but it held my attention the entire time.

The Dead Girl - It has a great cast and good reviews, but I don't know any other person who has seen it.

Reactions: kazyeeqen
Some of mine have been mentioned, but here are a few more on my list:

Nobody's Fool (the one with Paul Newman)
A Midnight Clear
Lone Star
Eight Men Out
The Myth of Fingerprints

Love Nobody's Fool. The book is wonderful too.

Another vote for Black Dynamite, Orgazmo, Death to Smoochy and Moonrise Kingdom
I also thought of Better Off Dead, an old John Cusack film from the 80s. So much quirky random humor. I love it.
Coming to America with Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall each playing multiple roles is another childhood favorite of mine

Reactions: thefadedone
The Dead Girl - It has a great cast and good reviews, but I don't know any other person who has seen it.

I've seen it. It was pretty amazing, I'm a total sucker for Giovanni Rabisi, but not something I'd want to watch again, right up there with mysterious skin.

Stranger than Fiction - Will Ferrell gets it on with Maggie Gyllenhall!
The Good Girl - Jennifer Aniston gets it on with Jake Gyllenhall!
The Twelve Chairs - this is the movie that Mel Brooks made between The Producers and Blazing Saddles but it doesn't get as much attention as those two. Critics didn't like it much when it came out, but I always liked it. Mel Brooks has a funny cameo in this one.