Are you in love with your disease?

EllenH

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Raw vegan
Ask yourself this? Do you really want help or are you in love with your disease?

It is sad but there are so many people who by virtue of their unwillingness to consider options being offered by another person that could lead to their being disease free would rather criticize and shoot down their recommendations to do something they haven't tried rather than to seriously consider them.

You'd think someone that was seriously ill and wanted to regain their health would be open to looking at anything but it seems many people are in love with their disease. But instead of having an open mind and being eager to consider a new option especially if there is evidence it has worked for others in the past, they would look into it. Instead they reject the new information saying it needs to be some official study for the person to even look at it. These are people who in my opinion, are too much in love with their disease. The last thing they want to discover is with hard work and a change of lifestyle, they'd rather not do, they could regain their health. So they "cancel" the person offering the details about it. Their disease becomes part of who they are. They say things like "my diabetes" or "my IBS".

To people who say they want support but who in reality don't really care enough about their health to be open to methods that have actually helped people like them who have had the same or worse conditions (in spite of whether studies have been done or not about it), I say continuing to have a closed mind isn't going to help you ( them) get any better. Also the saying "Beggars can't be choosers" comes to mind. If someone took the time to research potential solutions for you, the least you could do is check them out and not criticize what they found.

Or just be honest and say, I'm too addicted to my junk food to want to change my diet and do the work I know I'd need to do by giving up my favorite foods for a while, while I healed.

"The most certain barrier to truth is the belief you already have it." ~ Voltaire

And (piling on)
IBS is a very poor example. It's not even a disease (hence its name). Symptom vary from person to person.
Therefore one could also assume that the causes vary as well.

And (piling on)
IBS is a very poor example. It's not even a disease (hence its name). Symptom vary from person to person.
Therefore one could also assume that the causes vary as well.
I focused on IBS because M has it and she can't eat a completely Wholefood diet because of it.

Reactions: Lou
Ask yourself this? Do you really want help or are you in love with your disease?

It is sad but there are so many people who by virtue of their unwillingness to consider options being offered by another person that could lead to their being disease free would rather criticize and shoot down their recommendations to do something they haven't tried rather than to seriously consider them.

You'd think someone that was seriously ill and wanted to regain their health would be open to looking at anything but it seems many people are in love with their disease. But instead of having an open mind and being eager to consider a new option especially if there is evidence it has worked for others in the past, they would look into it. Instead they reject the new information saying it needs to be some official study for the person to even look at it. These are people who in my opinion, are too much in love with their disease. The last thing they want to discover is with hard work and a change of lifestyle, they'd rather not do, they could regain their health. So they "cancel" the person offering the details about it. Their disease becomes part of who they are. They say things like "my diabetes" or "my IBS".

To people who say they want support but who in reality don't really care enough about their health to be open to methods that have actually helped people like them who have had the same or worse conditions (in spite of whether studies have been done or not about it), I say continuing to have a closed mind isn't going to help you ( them) get any better. Also the saying "Beggars can't be choosers" comes to mind. If someone took the time to research potential solutions for you, the least you could do is check them out and not criticize what they found.

Or just be honest and say, I'm too addicted to my junk food to want to change my diet and do the work I know I'd need to do by giving up my favorite foods for a while, while I healed.

"The most certain barrier to truth is the belief you already have it." ~ Voltaire
There is a HUGE difference between saying "there are health benefits to consuming a balanced plant-based diet" and claiming "switching to a plant-based diet will cure your health problems".

Trying to blur the lines between the two in order to win an argument is incredibly dangerous and I'm glad to see several other forum members have already jumped on this thread and added a bit of perspective. @EllenH, I can think off the top of my head any number of scenarios where people are unwell through no fault of their own and would be hugely offended by the generalisations you're making. I can, of course, also think just as readily of plenty of people who will not make certain changes that could radically benefit their health (e.g. not giving up smoking) in just the way you're describing. However, combining both groups together is not helpful.