What's in your Garden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom L.

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Strict vegetarian
My peach tree has blossoms on it- hopefully we won't have a late freeze which kills them and prevents any fruit from happening.

It seems I finally have the knack for growing garlic: the cloves I planted last fall have sprouted and are growing strong. My 3 jalapeno pepper plants, which I took indoors last fall, are putting out new leaves- and none too soon: they had dropped many of their leaves over the winter, and one had almost none left. My tomato cuttings had a rough time indoors but they've hung on too, except maybe for one of them.

The lovage is coming up all of a sudden- I think it's big enough to divide into two plants now, and I'd better do it while it has strong roots but not too much foliage above ground to support.

Last edited:
We have a patio garden again this year. I will have to re-size the pictures to post them. We have a jalapeno pepper plant, 4 tomato plants, cilantro, oregano, parsley and basil.

Reactions: PTree15
My peach tree has blossoms on it- hopefully we won't have a late freeze which kills them and prevents any fruit from happening.
I feel like this happened the last two years with our apple tree. I'm still waiting to see if the new tree we planted last summer has made it through the winter.

I really have horrible luck growing anything, but I DO want to plant those bee-friendly wildflower seeds I got in the mail fairly soon. I think I've chosen a location... I don't want them anywhere near the two doors we use or anywhere that would bother neighbors next door or behind us. I decided probably the best bet is to get a planter box to put on the porch steps of the door we NEVER use.... that would give a bit of a berth for folks like myself who don't like buzzing things or bugs/insects in general, AND I could just carry it up a couple steps for shelter under the porch if it starts raining like crazy.

Home Depot's got these 24-inch planters for $7.47, so I could get two of 'em....

5b35207c-dcdd-4ad3-ac82-81ce501610df_1000.jpg

Last year I planted kale seeds, and it really wasn't very good- very bitter. All winter the one final plant thrived, and now is again growing, nicely. Not one animal, nor bug has touched it-I just find that really strange. It wasn't from ornemental seed, they were for eating!

Reactions: PTree15
I am going to have a deck garden in my new backyard with a couple of tomato plants, a couple of pepper plants and lots of basil. I don't want to dig up the yard just yet and I want to see where there is good sun.

Reactions: Chryssie and Tom L.
Last year I planted kale seeds, and it really wasn't very good- very bitter. All winter the one final plant thrived, and now is again growing, nicely. Not one animal, nor bug has touched it-I just find that really strange. It wasn't from ornemental seed, they were for eating!
I don't remember if I posted this here... but in the community garden where I have a plot, a kale plant survived for several winters- at least 4. I knew kale blooms the second year, but I thought it died at the end of the second season. That plant was magnificent to look at- about 5'-6' tall- but I never got around to eating any of the leaves. Anyhow, I collected seeds from it, and now have a truly kickbutt strain of kale (which tastes good... at least the 1st year.....)

I am going to have a deck garden in my new backyard with a couple of tomato plants, a couple of pepper plants and lots of basil. I don't want to dig up the yard just yet and I want to see where there is good sun.
Winter indoors will probably be rough on them, but like I mentioned above, if you're growing them in pots anyway, you might try bringing them in before the cold. (you might bring bugs in too..., unless you take just tomato cuttings and rinse them off before rooting them. I don't know if peppers can be propagated from cuttings- I tried that and failed.) I don't know if basil would live more than a season- I never tried that indoors.

We just put in two tomato plants, one cherry tomato, 2 hot pepper, 3 types of basil (I love basil), oregano, 2 tarragon, sage and an edamame plant. I still have thyme, rosemary and lavender from previous years.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Edamame...cool!

^^^I grew some edamame a few years back. It didn't produce that much and I had to learn not to pick it too early (very small beans) or too late (over-ripe- only good for planting the next year!). But it was good. The plants were like giant clover- big leaves with that different-shaded chevron pattern on the leaves. One nice thing about it was it grew upright and didn't need staking or support like most beans I've grown.

Reactions: KLS52
Technically, not a garden, but it is growing in my yard. :D. Fingers crossed that we don't get a late frost to kill all of the buds like we did the last two years in a row. I'm mixing up a batch of homemade non toxic pest repellent so maybe I will actually get some edible apples.
IMG_3386.JPG

The latest pictures of the tomatoes. Every plant has tomatoes! The herbs are doing well also. The pepper plant is getting big and blooming but no peppers yet.

2017-05-17 09.47.29 (Copy).jpg 2017-05-17 09.47.42 (Copy).jpg 2017-05-17 09.48.01 (Copy).jpg 2017-05-17 09.48.16 (Copy).jpg 2017-05-17 09.49.19 (Copy).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.