What is a personal attack?

I tend to feel empathy for old women as I still think about my grandmothers.
Ad hominem circumstantial? The poster's age should be irrelevant to the validity of the argument. Though, at this point I don't even know what the argument is that you're trying to invalidate, so maybe it's just an ad hominem abusive again!

That raises another interesting question. Is it a personal attack when one party lobs what she intends as an insult, but the recipient, while recognizing the intent, doesn't find it to be an actual insult?

Wait - I just remembered what the argument was. Mischief was attempting to testify to Callie's good character, and Moll is trying to discredit this. In which case advanced age can be argued to be a relevant factor as it correlates with cognitive degeneration!

Wait - I just remembered what the argument was. Mischief was attempting to testify to Callie's good character, and Moll is trying to discredit this. In which case advanced age can be argued to be a relevant factor as it correlates with cognitive degeneration!

:rolleyes: It's only advanced age and cognitive degeneration when you have to tattoo your bank pin number on your arm to remember it

Well, I do have to admit that I'm having a harder time with calculus than I would have had forty years ago. But, as far as I can tell, my judgment about character is no worse now than it was back then.

This has somehow gone from a serious rule discussion thread, to a battleground, to an "everyone laughs at themselves in some sort of bitter catharsis" thread within the span of three pages and honestly, I'm kind of here for it.

Ad hominem circumstantial? The poster's age should be irrelevant to the validity of the argument. Though, at this point I don't even know what the argument is that you're trying to invalidate, so maybe it's just an ad hominem abusive again!

o_O:confused: I was trying to ignore looking at this utter joke of a thread, but what I meant was that I felt sorry for Mlp pretending to be a different poster on here as I thought she made it so obvious that it was her that everyone must have guessed. I didn't want to call her out on it as I felt embarrassed for her and I think maybe it is to do with (some totally outdated) notion I might have for respecting my elders.

It was nothing to do with the hateful thing Calliegirl said about Muslims and Mlp trying to defend it, just a separate point!

Since when is referring to age an insult anyway? I refer to women under 25 as young women, to women of my age as middle-aged women, so a woman decades older than me would be an old woman. Maybe I'm not as politically correct as I thought if calling somebody old is considered an insult now.:rolleyes: I can change my post to older woman even though it means the same thing as old woman IMO.