What Did You Cook or Bake today?

today I took a favourite recipe and made it as muffins.... so basically a pancake mix, that athleticavocado.com turned into Baked Lemony Pancake Bars and which I turned into Baked Lemony Pancake Muffins... the funny thing is that my honey isn't very fond of the Bars and that is why I made them in muffin form, added a few walnuts and he loved them!! lol

Emma JC

Baked Lemony Pancake Berry Bars

INGREDIENTS
  • one and a half (1.5) cups of pancake mix
  • one flax egg or 3 tablespoons of aquafaba (see above)
  • one half (1/2) cup of applesauce
  • one third (1/3) cup of plant based milk (original, unsweetened preferred)
  • three (3) tablespoons of pure maple syrup (Canadian preferred)
  • two (2) tablespoons of lemon juice, fresh or bottled
  • one and a half (1.5) cups of fresh or frozen berries (make sure there are some blueberries, we love the blueberry, raspberry and blackberry mix
ASSEMBLY

• line a 9" x 9" baking pan with parchment paper and turn the oven to 350 degrees
  • put the pancake mix in a bowl then use a the two cup measuring cup to mix the milk, egg substitute, applesauce, maple syrup and lemon juice together and then add to the pancake mix, combining well
  • add the berries and stir again then place in pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes

today I took a favourite recipe and made it as muffins.... so basically a pancake mix, that athleticavocado.com turned into Baked Lemony Pancake Bars and which I turned into Baked Lemony Pancake Muffins... the funny thing is that my honey isn't very fond of the Bars and that is why I made them in muffin form, added a few walnuts and he loved them!! lol

Emma JC

INGREDIENTS

• one and a half (1.5) cups of fresh or frozen berries (make sure there are some blueberries, we love the blueberry, raspberry and blackberry mix
ASSEMBLY

• line a 9" x 9" baking pan with parchment paper and turn the oven to 350 degrees
  • put the pancake mix in a bowl then use a the two cup measuring cup to mix the milk, egg substitute, applesauce, maple syrup and lemon juice together and then add to the pancake mix, combining well
  • add the berries and stir again then place in pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes
This is perfect...I was looking for something to do with pancake mix other than make pancakes.

Reactions: Val and Emma JC
we ate all but two of them yesterday, which is normal for a batch of pancakes - for dessert last night (we had popcorn for main course) we took two each and broke them up a little, in a bowl, added peanut butter ice cream, more blueberries, a few peanuts and then poured a drizzle of maple syrup over the whole thing - outstanding!!

the other two we had after our smoothie this morning - he has asked me to make more.... and to add a bit of baking soda so they puff up more

Emma JC

Emma JC

INGREDIENTS

ASSEMBLY

That came at a great time! My son bought pancake mix, but rarely uses it, the last thing I found bugs in was his old box of pancake mix-so I want this one gone soon!
I even have fresh blueberries now

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and Val
I have a thread around here with bread making difficulties...making a truly whole grain (risen) bread. I finally figured out that the "whole grain" breads I have bought in the past weren't truly "wholegrain" for a reason. Often gluten or white flour was added. So I started making whole grains with 3/4 whole wheat flour and 1/4 white flour to boost the gluten/protein content. They've been doing well. Without the extra gluten/protein, the breads are often too dense and don't rise well.

So on a whim, I decided to nix the white flour and try Tahini instead for extra protein content. To my surprise, the bread came out wonderfully - risen, not too dense, and fluffy. Even though I wrote down the proportions of ingredients, I did it after mixing, and I was a little tipsy...so I have to try again to make sure - but I am encouraged that I can do it now without using white flour at all, and instead a different whole food source for an over-all product that is more nutritious.

I have a thread around here with bread making difficulties...making a truly whole grain (risen) bread. I finally figured out that the "whole grain" breads I have bought in the past weren't truly "wholegrain" for a reason. Often gluten or white flour was added. So I started making whole grains with 3/4 whole wheat flour and 1/4 white flour to boost the gluten/protein content. They've been doing well. Without the extra gluten/protein, the breads are often too dense and don't rise well.

So on a whim, I decided to nix the white flour and try Tahini instead for extra protein content. To my surprise, the bread came out wonderfully - risen, not too dense, and fluffy. Even though I wrote down the proportions of ingredients, I did it after mixing, and I was a little tipsy...so I have to try again to make sure - but I am encouraged that I can do it now without using white flour at all, and instead a different whole food source for an over-all product that is more nutritious.
That's quite interesting! I knew to add vital wheat gluten to whole grain flour, but never heard of adding tahini! I still have half a jar, because I really don't like it, but I think it would add a good taste to bread.
I have made some interesting foods while tipsy that have never been recreated!

I made a very easy recipe for seitan steaks. Just 1 cup soy milk, no beef boulion and seasoning, 1 1/2 cups vwg, mix-no knead, then slice and saute, then simmer in broth an hour. Much like how I used to do seitan! Made a mushroom gravy and sauted some veggies
The kind of food I tend to over eat ...:confused: