What Did You Cook or Bake today?

That's quite interesting! I knew to add vital wheat gluten to whole grain flour, but never heard of adding tahini! I still have half a jar, because I really don't like it, but I think it would add a good taste to bread.
I have made some interesting foods while tipsy that have never been recreated!

I made another loaf today. Here are the exact measurements:

300g Whole Wheat flour
20g Un-hulled Tahini (this amount has 5g of protein)
210g Water (70% of flour by weight)
5g Instant Dry Yeast
10g Peach Vinegar (although I imagine any food grade vinegar will do)
2 pinches of salt (didn't weigh)

Final weight when finished: 473g

I imagine other nut butters with a similar protein content might work
as well. Maybe even legumes? Don't know - haven't tried.

Anyway, I am very happy about this. I have recipe book that came with my
bread maker but it seems much of my failures came about because many of
the recipes call for (cow's) milk to up the protein. I haven't used cow's
milk in any major way for a long time and even before going vegan so
I wondered if it was just another of those (added via influence of the
dairy industry) things. Maybe, maybe not. In any case, the little extra
protein for Whole Wheat flour does help. So now I have a true basic whole grain/whole food
bread I can make with an extra boost of calcium via the un-hulled Tahini without the need for
extra gluten or white flour.

:)

I made a soy curl sandwich salad, with some dried cranberries and a few chopped walnuts and celery. Vegan mayo, dijon mustard, some pickle relish
Also cooked the black kale I'd forgotten, in the nick of time!

I tried my hand at washed flour seitan again. this time I did it all in a nutmilk bag! I'd just bought a set of 3 sizes from amazon- shouldn't have waited so long!
Anyway, it's resting now. Hoping for the best!

I made a soy curl sandwich salad, with some dried cranberries and a few chopped walnuts and celery. Vegan mayo, dijon mustard, some pickle relish
Also cooked the black kale I'd forgotten, in the nick of time!
I should make that now!
@Chryssie --wish I had your bread! What flours did you use?

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Val and Emma JC
I don't bake often, but since I had a heap of fresh rhubarb I made a rhubarb pie about an hour ago. I regret not going to the store for some fresh strawberries to go in it too. That's a natural match made in heaven. Nonetheless, it will be tasty. Saving it for after dinner, which is...Mmm, PIZZA!

I don't bake often, but since I had a heap of fresh rhubarb I made a rhubarb pie about an hour ago. I regret not going to the store for some fresh strawberries to go in it too. That's a natural match made in heaven. Nonetheless, it will be tasty. Saving it for after dinner, which is...Mmm, PIZZA!

I love rhubarb pie! Haven’t had it in years and years. Save me a piece!

@Chryssie

It sure grows nicely here where I live. You can usually find rhubarb in the frozen section of the grocery. I've used that to make muffins before. I'm sure it would work just fine for a pie. It's just another possible option for ya ;)

I've only it frozen organic, and expensive.
It seemed to grow everywhere when I was a kid! We would pick and chew the raw stalks. We seemed to like sour bitter things, I remember chewing the little leaves on a bush that grew by the corner house. Never told things could be poisoness!

@silva

I grew up on the other coast, you know, the east one. Rhubarb also grew everywhere when I was a kid, and we would pretty much do the same thing. Except, we'd raid neighbours gardens for it, chewing on the sour rhubarb, making funny faces as we did. Carrots were always on the top of my list of raid-able garden veggies.

It's funny, no one really warned me about the poison stuff when I was a kid either. There were lots of things like that around that could kill a kid pretty fast too. Nightshade berries were quite alluring, as I recall. I never knew anyone that was poisoned back then, luckily. Sadly though, I have heard of kids locally where I live now that have been poisoned from things like death cap mushrooms, for example. They grow everywhere.

I made another loaf today. Here are the exact measurements:

300g Whole Wheat flour
20g Un-hulled Tahini (this amount has 5g of protein)
210g Water (70% of flour by weight)
5g Instant Dry Yeast
10g Peach Vinegar (although I imagine any food grade vinegar will do)
2 pinches of salt (didn't weigh)

Final weight when finished: 473g

I imagine other nut butters with a similar protein content might work
as well. Maybe even legumes? Don't know - haven't tried.

Anyway, I am very happy about this. I have recipe book that came with my
bread maker but it seems much of my failures came about because many of
the recipes call for (cow's) milk to up the protein. I haven't used cow's
milk in any major way for a long time and even before going vegan so
I wondered if it was just another of those (added via influence of the
dairy industry) things. Maybe, maybe not. In any case, the little extra
protein for Whole Wheat flour does help. So now I have a true basic whole grain/whole food
bread I can make with an extra boost of calcium via the un-hulled Tahini without the need for
extra gluten or white flour.

:)

Legumes work as well. I measured out the dry weight of some chickpeas(completely dry/hard) so that the total of such = 5g of protein (dry weight of chickpeas is about 50% protein) - so roughly 10g totally dry/hard chickpeas.

However, I used soaked chickpeas (overnight) which were then blended with water. This of course was more than 10g because of the water weight so I just counted out the number of chickpeas dry weight to make 10g (5g protein) then added the same number of soaked chickpeas. Loaf not as soft, but still rose well and held together.

speaking of using legumes as bread, I watched a YouTube video yesterday by Whole Food Plant-Based Cooking Show where she made flatbread from split red lentils and water - it looked so easy and you can spice it up however you like - the only thing she didn't do was rinse her lentils.... I would always do that first, before soaking - I cup of lentils, rinsed, soaked in 2 cups of water for 3 hours or so, blended then cooked in a non-stick pan like a pancake.... I will be trying that for sure as I have lots of "stocked up" lentils

Emma JC