What Did You Cook or Bake today?

speaking of using legumes as bread, I watched a YouTube video yesterday by Whole Food Plant-Based Cooking Show where she made flatbread from split red lentils and water - it looked so easy and you can spice it up however you like - the only thing she didn't do was rinse her lentils.... I would always do that first, before soaking - I cup of lentils, rinsed, soaked in 2 cups of water for 3 hours or so, blended then cooked in a non-stick pan like a pancake.... I will be trying that for sure as I have lots of "stocked up" lentils

Emma JC
I've made the quinoa flatbread, I did not like it at all, but can how other would. I don't like quinoa.
Now soaked buckwheat, chia and flax blended I do like! Good with savory or sweet toppings

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
speaking of using legumes as bread, I watched a YouTube video yesterday by Whole Food Plant-Based Cooking Show where she made flatbread from split red lentils and water - it looked so easy and you can spice it up however you like - the only thing she didn't do was rinse her lentils.... I would always do that first, before soaking - I cup of lentils, rinsed, soaked in 2 cups of water for 3 hours or so, blended then cooked in a non-stick pan like a pancake.... I will be trying that for sure as I have lots of "stocked up" lentils

Emma JC

Just to be clear (for you or anyone reading) - I didn't make legume bread, I only used a small percentage of legumes (and prior, tahini) to get a better rise from whole wheat. Whole wheat (as opposed to white) needs a little extra protein to get a better rise - which is why breads labeled "whole wheat" often have either a little gluten or white flour added (white flour is higher in protein than whole wheat). Not knowing this (and avoiding cow's milk that the recipes I was going on prior called for) - my whole wheat breads were coming out like bricks - until I learned to use a little white flour...then tahini and even legumes.

I've never heard of a mostly legume bread - but I suppose it's possible. I don't know, I consider myself something of a novice in the area of bread making.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Val
Mmm... Rhubarb talk. May i offer you some? This is for @KLS52 , @Chryssie and @silva .👇 ...Our first one. We have very few bushes left, but i'm glad there is still some rhubarb on our plot, because David adores it: he runs over, tears out a stalk and devours it as it is (with skin!), haha.
View attachment 21343
Ooooo, I love rhubarb! Enjoy!

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Val
on Wednesday we made yellow split pea soup and it was the best we've ever made - made it on the stove again, instead of the Instant Pot and rinsed the peas really well before cooking, kept adding water, then bay leaves, carrots, onions. celery, and a few spices

had the leftovers last night with a pita pizza - a very nice two nights of dinners

Emma JC

Second attempt at this Gentle Chef chesecake--with much success! The first time was my first time using agar- and it was a disasater. this time I added more water and really simmered it before adding to the soaked raw cashews, sugar, vanilla, lemon and refined coconut oil in Vitamix.
I'll post a pic and recipe when chilled and cut :jump:

on Wednesday we made yellow split pea soup and it was the best we've ever made - made it on the stove again, instead of the Instant Pot and rinsed the peas really well before cooking, kept adding water, then bay leaves, carrots, onions. celery, and a few spices

had the leftovers last night with a pita pizza - a very nice two nights of dinners

Emma JC
Just curious if you had a reason for not using IP? Some things I still do better stove top, like minestrone, but any kind of lentil or bean soup would be IP

Second attempt at this Gentle Chef chesecake--with much success! The first time was my first time using agar- and it was a disasater. this time I added more water and really simmered it before adding to the soaked raw cashews, sugar, vanilla, lemon and refined coconut oil in Vitamix.
I'll post a pic and recipe when chilled and cut :jump:
Awesome! Can’t wait!

enchiladas with a green sauce i made! So happy it turned out so well. Aldi used to have my favorite green (and red) enchilada sauce in a can, and that's started me making these---everything was from Aldi!
It started with simmering onions in some oil and making a roux, adding garlic, then water, a spoon of no chikn base and some canned jalepanos and blending.
Mix was white beans, Trader Joes soy chorizo, fat free refried beans, canned diced tomatoes, cooked white rice. I forgot to put mozz shreds inside- only thing I buy Aldi shreds for! I sprinkled on half, but these are the kind that stick to the teeth if separate from other stuff, they're good inside

Just curious if you had a reason for not using IP? Some things I still do better stove top, like minestrone, but any kind of lentil or bean soup would be IP

yes, I have trouble getting the peas / beans to break down as much as I prefer, I do not like crunchy - I make the times longer and longer and yet do not seem to have success - I have reverted to the crock pot for beans and stove top for split peas - I haven't done lentil soup for a while and would like trust the IP for that as the red lentils are so quick to cook - whole lentils I would prefer on the stove top as then I can check their "doneness"

Emma JC

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
I have so much black salt! I had put it in a shaker the first time
I made this yesterday. Yum. I added a bit of cinnamon and cardamom.
That sound so delicious!!! I let a mango go bad-it's kinda wrinkly and I'm afraid to cut it...That's why I should just buy mangos when I want one, not because they're .39 cents! :shrug:

I made my favorite Moroccan lentil and chickpea stew. It's from an Americas Test Kitchen show and used to be free on their website- now you have to subscribe. I feel lucky I used copymethat! I changed stuff, so could probably share. Anyway, it's the perfect blend of spices- they take the most time to get together so i"m thinking I should make a mix to have ready.