What Did You Cook or Bake today?

I hear you on the price points, but that's actually not bad for the area. CT is a very expensive state to live in. :D
People thought I was crazy when I said I was retiring to Connecticut. But when you're coming from New York it's not so bad lol. We did consider going south but I wasn't about to go to far from my kids/grandkids.

We could have stayed in NY and moved farther upstate but
Made some baked potatoes in the Ninja Foodi - they come out just terrific. Then I sauté some veggies with a dab of Better Than Bouillon caramelized onion flavor. The veggies I use are onions, garlic, cremini or Portobello mushrooms, very thinly sliced/julienned red pepper slices, chickpeas, and throw in a big handful of spinach at the last minute and cook until wilted. Then split the baked potato in half, sprinkle with a bit of nooch, and then spread the veggie topping on it. Really filling, nutritious, and quicker to make than waiting for an oven-baked potato. That is, if you don't mind pressure-cooking the potato and then air frying it for about 20 min (10 min per side) after that - it's worth it.View attachment 27877
that looks amazing!

That sounds delicious. Do you have a recipe yourself or a link to the recipe you use, which you (hopefully) wouldn't mind sharing? I know there are tons out there, but I tend to take strong recommendations over random recipes first :)
I rarely use recipes, but most of my experiments come from Skye Michael Conroy (aka the Gentle Chef) and the youtuber SauceStache.
I've been experimenting with autolyzing the dough--just letting the vital wheat gluten dough rest a number of hours to let the gluten develop, to develop the strands. This time I listened to:
...and realized I haven't added nutritional yeast to my seitan in a very long time. I was often using about 25% starch, mostly cornstarch.
I honestly think I like the starch texture better.
Anyway, I mixed one cup vwg with 1/4 cup nooch, about a teasp each sage thyme and rosemary, maybe a teasp garlic powder, a little over a cup water till just mixed. I covered the bowl and let it rest for several hours. Overnight would be optimal. Then I stretched it. spun it like a rope, or noodles, and made as many knots as possible, tucking ends under. I seared it on all sides in a cast iron and enough oil to coat pan. I started no chik'n broth simmering in an Instant Pot on slow cook (or slow cooker, or just a pot on the stove, but then you have to watch it doesn't boil) and let cook in broth for about two hours. I let it cool in broth till next day, then pulled it apart and seared the pieces like before, this time with sliced onions. Doing this "fry simmer fry" gives it a great fatty feel and taste. I omit oil from the dough when I do it this way
If you want real shreds it's better to shred it while it's just cool enough to handle.
Seitans been a hobby of mine :grinning:

Made some baked potatoes in the Ninja Foodi - they come out just terrific. Then I sauté some veggies with a dab of Better Than Bouillon caramelized onion flavor. The veggies I use are onions, garlic, cremini or Portobello mushrooms, very thinly sliced/julienned red pepper slices, chickpeas, and throw in a big handful of spinach at the last minute and cook until wilted. Then split the baked potato in half, sprinkle with a bit of nooch, and then spread the veggie topping on it. Really filling, nutritious, and quicker to make than waiting for an oven-baked potato. That is, if you don't mind pressure-cooking the potato and then air frying it for about 20 min (10 min per side) after that - it's worth it.View attachment 27877
This is something I need to make (my potato will be on the side :rofl:)
Do you cook chickpeas from dry, or use canned?

Reactions: TarheelVegan
I rarely use recipes, but most of my experiments come from Skye Michael Conroy (aka the Gentle Chef) and the youtuber SauceStache.
I've been experimenting with autolyzing the dough--just letting the vital wheat gluten dough rest a number of hours to let the gluten develop, to develop the strands. This time I listened to:
...and realized I haven't added nutritional yeast to my seitan in a very long time. I was often using about 25% starch, mostly cornstarch.
I honestly think I like the starch texture better.
Anyway, I mixed one cup vwg with 1/4 cup nooch, about a teasp each sage thyme and rosemary, maybe a teasp garlic powder, a little over a cup water till just mixed. I covered the bowl and let it rest for several hours. Overnight would be optimal. Then I stretched it. spun it like a rope, or noodles, and made as many knots as possible, tucking ends under. I seared it on all sides in a cast iron and enough oil to coat pan. I started no chik'n broth simmering in an Instant Pot on slow cook (or slow cooker, or just a pot on the stove, but then you have to watch it doesn't boil) and let cook in broth for about two hours. I let it cool in broth till next day, then pulled it apart and seared the pieces like before, this time with sliced onions. Doing this "fry simmer fry" gives it a great fatty feel and taste. I omit oil from the dough when I do it this way
If you want real shreds it's better to shred it while it's just cool enough to handle.
Seitans been a hobby of mine :grinning:
Thank you so much! Obviously I chose the right person to ask :high_five. Going to try it out in a few weeks when I host dinner for the (small) family :)

This is something I need to make (my potato will be on the side :rofl:)
Do you cook chickpeas from dry, or use canned?
I will use either one, depending upon the situation. If you're pressed for time, a can of chickpeas works just great. However, if you're in the habit of making "homemade" hummus, I will usually have some prepared chickpeas on hand to use and those are usually preferable to canned (freshness factor, but hardly a dealbreaker). I say "homemade" in quotes because even though I put the ingredients together in a food processor, it's not like I make the tahini from a big bag of sesame seeds or crush the garlic lol.... I do, however, prepare the chickpeas from dry and I juice the lemons. I mean, that's hard work :p

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
People thought I was crazy when I said I was retiring to Connecticut. But when you're coming from New York it's not so bad lol. We did consider going south but I wasn't about to go to far from my kids/grandkids.

We could have stayed in NY and moved farther upstate but

that looks amazing!
Thank you, @KLS52 ! I find it to be a really hearty, tasty, and filling meal, and doesn't require a lot of prep. If you try it, let me know what you think.

Reactions: KLS52
I recently tried Just Egg and we really did like it, so I looked into the copycat recipes. When it first came out I tried to make a copy--but I used whole moong beans :rofl::ignore:. It was gross!
Yeah, dals are skinned and split! This time I use moong dal and it turned out really good!
I followed this recipe, using Trader Joes plain soy milk (just beans and water)

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I also made the smoked gouda from the Non Dairy Evolution again. First time the emulsion broke--and it kinda did again :shrug:
Tastes like FYH smoked guoda, but still haven't got the texture. Like a split second!

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Gotta revisit the Just Egg copy. It really gets far more gummy and pasty than the brand Just Egg.
I had to really wonder if I didn't add tapioca starch to the blender (it is NOT called for :rofl: ) but I'm quite sure I did not. It acts like something you'd cook with that kind of thickening, stretchy starch
I need to experiment with what to use this for. Doesn't seem right as an egg for baking purposes, too sticky for use as binder--that's exactly what you'd want to remove from most plant based foods :fp:.
I guess I can use the rest as a soup thickener, and of course moong dal is great as it is!

I'm making a vegan Tom Yum soup today from scratch. I even found some fresh kaffir lime leaves and galangal root. Those ingredients along with some fresh lemongrass will set the tone, and create a fine aroma throughout the house. I can't wait!

Yum! Pun intended. :laughing:

Started by Katrina.

This thread is for sharing food that you have cooked or baked. Please also feel free to post any photos that you wish to share.

What did you cook or Bake today? (2018)
Wowie, made my first batch of homemade soy tempe yesterday. It is a learning process but had one successful batch.
I believe soy is best eaten in a fermented form: tempe, miso, natto, and even soy sauce.

I'm making a vegan Tom Yum soup today from scratch. I even found some fresh kaffir lime leaves and galangal root. Those ingredients along with some fresh lemongrass will set the tone, and create a fine aroma throughout the house. I can't wait!

Yum! Pun intended. :laughing:

Ohhhhhh.....yeaaaaahhhh!
...and tamarind too? :up:
I bought a tub of vegan tom yum concentrate, and other than being oilier than I would make, was very good!
I've yet to have it just right at any restaurant that is without fishy

Reactions: Emma JC
...and tamarind too?

Of course! It would not be complete without it. The soup was so tasty!

I am lucky to be here on the west coast. We have a huge Asian population in Vancouver. I have several options where I can find Asian specialty items no problem.

I have seen the vegan Tom Yum concentrate. I might give it a try, but I'm not sure why I would? The recipe isn't overly difficult, as long as you can find the ingredients. I guess it would be somewhat faster, if you're feeling lazy.

Reactions: PTree15
Of course! It would not be complete without it. The soup was so tasty!

I am lucky to be here on the west coast. We have a huge Asian population in Vancouver. I have several options where I can find Asian specialty items no problem.

I have seen the vegan Tom Yum concentrate. I might give it a try, but I'm not sure why I would? The recipe isn't overly difficult, as long as you can find the ingredients. I guess it would be somewhat faster, if you're feeling lazy.

I made it once and it was very good, but is something I need to think about ahead of time, which I rarely do!
Would you share your ingredients or method?

@silva

What I did was really quite simple.

Obviously, I used red Thai chili paste. I start by simmering around a quarter cup of that in coconut oil. After several minutes I stirred in a cup of coconut cream and continued simmering for a few more minutes, stirring frequently.

Meanwhile, I prepare the lemongrass (cleaning & bruising), fresh galangal, fresh lime leaves, and fresh red Thai chili peppers. I added that to my stock pot with about 3 quarts of water, bringing first to a boil, and then a simmer.

While that is simmering away, I chopped up my veggies. I mix it up, veggie-wise, but I always add a can of mini corn. Somehow I have to have those in my Tom Yum. This time I used bell peppers, mini bok choy, red onion, shiitaki mushrooms, shimeji mushrooms, and fresh chopped tomatoes.

Once my stock is ready, I remove all the bits, leaves, etc. Now to the stock I add all the prepped veggies, some tamarind paste, fresh lime juice, soy sauce (to taste), and I use a bit of agave syrup. The veggies simmer until tender. My soup was ready to serve. I just served mine with some finely diced green onions.

I don't think I missed anything here. Let me know if you make some. I'd be curious how it comes out.

@silva

What I did was really quite simple.

Obviously, I used red Thai chili paste. I start by simmering around a quarter cup of that in coconut oil. After several minutes I stirred in a cup of coconut cream and continued simmering for a few more minutes, stirring frequently.

Meanwhile, I prepare the lemongrass (cleaning & bruising), fresh galangal, fresh lime leaves, and fresh red Thai chili peppers. I added that to my stock pot with about 3 quarts of water, bringing first to a boil, and then a simmer.

While that is simmering away, I chopped up my veggies. I mix it up, veggie-wise, but I always add a can of mini corn. Somehow I have to have those in my Tom Yum. This time I used bell peppers, mini bok choy, red onion, shiitaki mushrooms, shimeji mushrooms, and fresh chopped tomatoes.

Once my stock is ready, I remove all the bits, leaves, etc. Now to the stock I add all the prepped veggies, some tamarind paste, fresh lime juice, soy sauce (to taste), and I use a bit of agave syrup. The veggies simmer until tender. My soup was ready to serve. I just served mine with some finely diced green onions.

I don't think I missed anything here. Let me know if you make some. I'd be curious how it comes out.

Oh that does sound good! It also reminds me of why I got the tub of concentrate-I can get those ingredients but very expensive!
I saw a bag of dried kaffir leaves at the store for like $2 and wondered if they would be worth getting? My Korean grocery sells good size bags of fresh, but pricy. I think I may have some left in the freezer. Once things go in my freezer they rarely come out ok :worried:
I can go without the baby corn, but love fresh bamboo shoots

Reactions: Veganite
I saw a bag of dried kaffir leaves at the store for like $2 and wondered if they would be worth getting?

The problem with fresh is actually finding them fresh. I don't mind paying a little extra for fresh, but you really have to check them carefully, as they spoil/brown quickly.

As for the dried - there's nothing wrong with dried. Dried leaves do not retain as much flavor and/or aroma though. I usually add a few extra, if using dried. Fresh are just way better if you can get them, as is with galangal. I have dried galangal as well as dried lime leaves. It's cheap to buy here.

...and the baby corn is just something I like in mine. It's the beauty of making any soup really. You decide what goes in and what doesn't. Soups are made to improvise.