What Did You Cook or Bake today?

I made a bean, veggie and orzo soup with the seitan broth
Fried seitan
and Chocolate, chocolate chip cookies from Vegan cookies Invade your Cookie Jar. That book is dangerous! :lol:

I'm making Butternut Squash Stew from the " 'Taste of Home' Slow Cooker Cookbook" published by Reader's Digest. As I often do, I modified the recipe a bit- but I tasted it a few minutes ago, and I can tell it will be good. It's supposed to take 6-8 hours- which means it will be done at 5 to 7 PM.

I'm going through this book, trying out the vegan (or veganizable) recipes.

I'm going to make chocolate chip scones. Part of them will go for a friend's Christmas gift and some will be saved for our family party in a week or so. I'm going to freeze them. I'm also going to make cranberry bread and cranberry muffins. These will be for my family party as well. I have to rearrange my freezer (or eat more out of it, haha) so I can make room for all this stuff. :) Cookie baking will commence next week.

I'm going to make chocolate chip scones. Part of them will go for a friend's Christmas gift and some will be saved for our family party in a week or so. I'm going to freeze them. I'm also going to make cranberry bread and cranberry muffins. These will be for my family party as well. I have to rearrange my freezer (or eat more out of it, haha) so I can make room for all this stuff. :) Cookie baking will commence next week.
So, I apparently was out of chocolate chips. I must have eaten the last bag in trail mix, haha. So I made ginger scones instead, as both varieties have been requested for our Christmas gathering. :) The cranberry desserts are next on my list. :)

I made something else from that slow-cooker cookbook I mentioned above. It would have been "Spinach and White Bean Soup" if I had followed the recipe... but I changed it a bit (mostly by adding white rice near the end of the cooking time) so that it became more of a very good pilaf.

I hesitate to post actual, precise recipes for any of the things I make, because I haven't had other people taste-test them- whereas most if not all cook-book writers I know of had gotten feedback from their family, friends, and/or acquaintances before publishing. And for a strict vegetarian, I'm not at all fussy about food. (I've even been known to choke down something which reeks of cilantro rather than disrespect the cook or waste the food!)

ETA: Okay- cilantro won't make me physically ill. But if someone were to substitute an equal amount of soap for the cilantro, I swear I wouldn't be able to tell the difference- except that the soap wouldn't smell as bad. I've heard folks who like cilantro describe what it tastes like to them, and I've had fairly tasty (to me) results by substituting a combination of lemon juice and fresh parsley for the cilantro.

Last edited:
I cooked brown rice in my slow cooker, with fresh spinach added near the end of cooking. I rinsed the sand off the spinach in a good-size pot of water, which I emptied in the alley to keep the grit from going down my sink and maybe causing a clog, but there was STILL a bit of sand in my meal. I ate about half of it for lunch, drizzled with bit of canola oil, and walked it off soon after on my way to and from the gym. Leftovers are in the fridge.

I made veggie chili with soy curls and pumpkin purée, and I just took a loaf of bread out of the oven. I hadn't made bread in a while. I'm letting it cool right now, but I'll be having a slice in a bit with either vegan butter or maybe some raspberry jam.

I wanted to make bread too, but didn't
I did make hot sour soup that came out soooo good. Spent $6 just on the baby bok choy! I was pretty shocked how much the prices at the Korean grocer went up. I wanted coconut milk and jackfruit and both were $4. I knew right off the coconut was one flagged for using monkeys :worried:. Even the House brand tofu that had been $1.60 for the big 18 oz was now $2.99 :eek:

I just cut a fabulous mango that was actually only .50 cents. I heated up rice with a little sugar and oatmilk and mixed in the mango and a little powdered ginger. Yum! Gotta more

I made veggie chili with soy curls and pumpkin purée, and I just took a loaf of bread out of the oven. I hadn't made bread in a while. I'm letting it cool right now, but I'll be having a slice in a bit with either vegan butter or maybe some raspberry jam.
Share your recipe please