1 1/2 cups plant milk

4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups quick oats
6 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
lots of cinnamon

chopped pecans (optional)

In a bowl whisk together sugars and all wet ingredients. In another bowl, mix all dry ingredients. Fold dry ingredients into wet mix, working batter as little as possible. Pour into greased and floured 9x13 pan. Bake in preheated 350 ° oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

I don't like my desserts to be very sweet, so you may want to add more sugar than I use. Also, if you want to use less oil, you can use more applesauce instead. To dress the cake up, you can add a streusel topping. (Quick rolled oats, chopped pecans, and brown sugar crumbled with vegan margarine.)

Reactions: PTree15 and Brian W
How did the sauce turn out?
Not very good. It tasted sort of weird, and then my SO tried it and said it tasted like mayonnaise. I don't like mayonnaise. No wonder it tasted funny! Now I don't know what to do with it.

^ I had to Google the word "granary"!

Last night I tried a different recipe for vegan "creamy" pasta sauce. It is much, much better than the first! I still had to alter it, though. I'm not too keen on this cookbook so far.

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
^ I had to Google the word "granary"!

Last night I tried a different recipe for vegan "creamy" pasta sauce. It is much, much better than the first! I still had to alter it, though. I'm not too keen on this cookbook so far.

Granary bread is really wholesome and tasty. I took some over to a pal's last night as I was invited over for drinks. She has asked me to bake her a whole loaf.;)

Granary bread

I don't add either caraway or cashews but ground linseed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Val
Nothing yet, but later on I will make either cupcakes, muffins or cookies and some hummus. I'm having Scrabble night at my house tomorrow night with two friends.

Reactions: Val
Nothing yet, but later on I will make either cupcakes, muffins or cookies and some hummus. I'm having Scrabble night at my house tomorrow night with two friends.
Wish I was there! I love Scrabble!

I came home very hungry and made a split pea soup in the Instant Pot. Carrots, onions, potatoes, celery sage thyme liquid smoke - took a total of 30 minutes. I added a packet of French onion soup mix at the end as it really needed salt and more flavor

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
Haven't accomplished it yet, but, at least, the first step is made: yesterday i bought some more packs of amaranth grains.:woo: So, tonight i'll be making spicy amaranth porridge with some veggies, herbs, cayenne salsa and sumac, as usual.:rp: My acquaintances will be pleased (if i follow their advice more accurately). I don't mind amaranth, but (what a shame!) i rarely cook it. If i only could, i would be eating it raw (soaked), but they say, it prevents some essential nutrients' absorbtion. But cooking it is a pain in the *ss, as its grains are too small: you can't just boil them and put them, lets say, into the colander,- it all will flow down through my colander's holes.:hmm: Plus, amaranth is so sticky and slimy...
Anyway, i'm determined to increase the amount of beneficial grains in my ration, including farro and barley,- they are my favourite ones.:p

Haven't accomplished it yet, but, at least, the first step is made: yesterday i bought some more packs of amaranth grains.:woo: So, tonight i'll be making spicy amaranth porridge with some veggies, herbs, cayenne salsa and sumac, as usual.:rp: My acquaintances will be pleased (if i follow their advice more accurately). I don't mind amaranth, but (what a shame!) i rarely cook it. If i only could, i would be eating it raw (soaked), but they say, it prevents some essential nutrients' absorbtion. But cooking it is a pain in the *ss, as its grains are too small: you can't just boil them and put them, lets say, into the colander,- it all will flow down through my colander's holes.:hmm: Plus, amaranth is so sticky and slimy...
Anyway, i'm determined to increase the amount of beneficial grains in my ration, including farro and barley,- they are my favourite ones.:p

You may be adding far too much liquid (stock or water) as you should not have to drain it. Moreover, it should not be sticky. Perhaps the recipe you are using states a cooking time that is a bit too long.
The liquid should be just absorbed and there is no draining entailed.

I'm not keen on amaranth because it tastes like beetroot.;)

You reckon? Hmm..., never thought about it...:leer: But if i ever felt that it tasted like beetroot, i would be ok with it, as i'm a beetroot fan as well.:D

I have never discussed amaranth with anybody. Moreover, I don't anyone who eats it.

Unfortunately most of the people that I know IRL eat very plain food.

Most people think that my meals are either strange or original. I remember when the cat lady ate some
nut roast for the very first time.
Despite it being very tasty, I could read her thoughts '' I would rather prefer a slab of meat'' !:rolleyes:

Most people think that my meals are either strange or original. I remember when the cat lady ate some
nut roast for the very first time.
Despite it being very tasty, I could read her thoughts '' I would rather prefer a slab of meat'' !:rolleyes:
:hug:
I would willingly swallow a couple pieces of your nut roast...:innocent: If you make it again soon, don't tell me,- otherwise i will fly over on the wings of night, steal it, and devour a good portion while you're asleep.:rofl:

:hug:
I would willingly swallow a couple pieces of your nut roast...:innocent: If you make it again soon, don't tell me,- otherwise i will fly over on the wings of night, steal it, and devour a good portion while you're asleep.:rofl:

I was actually planning to make one this week end. I'm having drinks with a friend of mine and she absolutely loved
nut roast canapés served with smoked sea salt that I bought over to her place last month.;)

Reactions: PTree15