What Did You Cook or Bake today?

Last night I made peanut butter chocolate funnel cake. I make this at least once a year for my birthday. My old boss invited me to lunch today to celebrate my former department's February birthdays. Three of us have them. I can't bring in the whole cake, but I will bring generous slices for each of them.

I found a love for buckwheat groats! I think they're roasted though, they don't look green at all but brown. I can chew them raw though, so I don't know. I soaked them in water for a few hours, rinsed, then added hot water and they seem fully cooked o_O. I had some this morning with almond milk raisins and cinnamon, heated till just warm. Very good, no sticky or goo like farro or barley. I expected that

Reactions: Val
I found a love for buckwheat groats! I think they're roasted though, they don't look green at all but brown. I can chew them raw though, so I don't know. I soaked them in water for a few hours, rinsed, then added hot water and they seem fully cooked o_O. I had some this morning with almond milk raisins and cinnamon, heated till just warm. Very good, no sticky or goo like farro or barley. I expected that
Aha, a lot of people don't cook buckwheat, they just soak it for a few hours,- at least, raw foodists do it.:D ...I wish i could eat buckwheat...:sigh:

Aha, a lot of people don't cook buckwheat, they just soak it for a few hours,- at least, raw foodists do it.:D ...I wish i could eat buckwheat...:sigh:

I love buckwheat flour. I make either savoury pancakes or waffles and add part ww flour.

It wasn't today, but last weekend, I cooked some white beans (Great Northern beans) which I bought in the bulk section of the health store. I soaked them a bit more than 24 hours, starting Saturday afternoon, rinsed them, and put them in my slow cooker on High with just enough water to cover. I had two red potatoes, which I thought were too few to cook by themselves- so I washed them off and put them on top of the beans. 4-4.5 hours later, everything was cooked perfectly. I froze half the beans, but today for lunch I had some beans with the second potato, some fresh turnip greens, and some instant white rice. And a bit of canola oil- but I left my fresh garlic home and missed having some of that...

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
I have peanut butter-chocolate chip cookies baking right now. My dad is coming to visit and help with more house projects, and he loves these cookies. :)

Well, I tried stupid veggie sauce again- this time no carrots. I used cauliflower, nooch, oats....wasn't bad but needed something. I was going to use it as a sauce for whole grain linguine and veggies. While they were cooking I decided to try adding some horseradish. :yuck::down:.
I came up with a quick sauce of better than boullion no chicken, couple cups water, cornstarch some sage and black pepper and my secret weapon-- Just Mayo! :master: :up:
Just Mayo saved the day again! Should have added it to the veg sauce :rolleyes:

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
Next weekend my boyfriend and I planned to make oatmeal raisin cookies. Then today, when he was at the grocery store, he sent me a picture of a display of carrot baked goods. (Carrot cake is a favorite for both of us) so I suggested making half a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies and half a batch of oatmeal carrot cake cookies. So that's the current plan.

Next weekend my boyfriend and I planned to make oatmeal raisin cookies. Then today, when he was at the grocery store, he sent me a picture of a display of carrot baked goods. (Carrot cake is a favorite for both of us) so I suggested making half a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies and half a batch of oatmeal carrot cake cookies. So that's the current plan.

I like both. I often make PB and oat cookies. They taste great with a glass of cashew milk.:lick:

I'll never understand the dislike for oatmeal based cookies that so many people have. To me, they are more substantial and satisfying than a lot of other types of cookie.

I'll never understand the dislike for oatmeal based cookies that so many people have. To me, they are more substantial and satisfying than a lot of other types of cookie.
I like oatmeal cookies. I just don't like raisins in cookies, and oatmeal cookies ( other than the ones I make) almost always seem to have raisins in them.

I like oatmeal raisin cookies! Used to love Oatmeal Scotchies--with the butterscotch chips that are terrible on their own, but amazing in the back of package recipe. Not vegan though

I made the jalepano cornbread I've been making - but this time I made it as written, using applesauce instead of some oil. I was a bit disappointed but my son said it was really good. I didn't tell him I used applesauce.
I made chili but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the last time. I used too much water

Cream of spinach & cauliflower soup.
An apple crumble made with spelt flour and ground almonds.

Last edited:
I've been using my crockpot/slowcooker lately. A few days ago, it was white beans again... after that, I scrubbed it out well and baked some russett potatoes in it. Tonight I'm going to cook butternut squash.