What did you cook or Bake today? (2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, here's the taco filling....

CauliPintoZucch.JPG

Roasted cauliflower, zucchini, pinto beans, & a little onion at the last second... with evoo, cumin, chipotle powder, garlic powder, onion powder, Mrs. Dash, dried cilantro, Himalayan pink salt, & nooch.

Also made a big batch of picante sauce (with plenty of fresh cilantro), and a nummy pile of slop (seasoned side dish) of sautéed onion, sweet corn, refried black beans, & brown rice.... I think it might want some baby kale in there as well, but I'm tired of doing sh*t. LOL

Oh, and I added roasted poblano to everything. :up:

The tortillas, however, did not feel like cooperating this evening.... I found 3 yellow corn/lentil shells in the cupboard & crisped them up.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15
Made the gyro seitan from Seitan & Beyond - in the top 5 favorite seitans here! Really simple, just gluten, spices, but loads of coarse chopped garlic! I use way more than whats called for, and in the finished slices they add to the textural feel.
Used my cashew 'ranch' dressing for a cucumber onion marinade, and also a dressing with shredded cucumber and onion.

Yesterday I made the trattoria pasta salad from Appetite for Reduction. It came out really well, though it has a bit of a bitter kick from the arugula that not everyone will like. I don't notice it that much, though H does. Ah well. I'm still gonna bring some over for his father later today.

And this isn't something I made, but I finally picked up a large, clear bowl that I plan to use for layered desserts. Later this month I'll be making this layered dessert of chocolate cake, chocolate mousse, whipped cream, chopped skor bars, repeat.

Oh, and I can also use it as a serving bowl for salads, which I'm planning to make and bring with me to omni BBQs this summer.

Reactions: Mischief and Val
Made the gyro seitan from Seitan & Beyond - in the top 5 favorite seitans here! Really simple, just gluten, spices, but loads of coarse chopped garlic! I use way more than whats called for, and in the finished slices they add to the textural feel.
Used my cashew 'ranch' dressing for a cucumber onion marinade, and also a dressing with shredded cucumber and onion.
That sounds so delicious! I can't remember the last time I had a gyro.

Yesterday I made marinated mushrooms. The marinade included umeboshi vinegar, which I had never used before. It's delicious. Then I made another batch of parsnip salad.

Well, it wasn't "today"... but over the weekend I collected some dandelion flowers from my pesticide-free yard, and when I came to work yesterday I made dandelion petal tea with some of them in one of the microwave ovens in our lunch room. I knew they aren't poisonous, but had never tried them that way; I had gotten a rough recipe on-line.

It was strangely familiar-tasting, and not very good. I didn't use any sweetener, but I don't think it would have made a difference. As I was separating the green parts from the yellow petals, I tasted some of the petals- and the tea I wound up making tasted a lot like them.

I had better luck with my lunch yesterday and today: I quickly steamed some dandelion and garlic mustard leaves from my yard, and added some cooked rice I had brought in from home, vegetable oil, and low-sodium soy sauce. Tasty and nutritious! ...and garlic mustard is officially listed as an invasive species in my state, even though it is edible and (I think) was brought here by settlers as a vegetable from Europe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mischief
Well, it wasn't "today"... but over the weekend I collected some dandelion flowers from my pesticide-free yard, and when I came to work yesterday I made dandelion petal tea with some of them in one of the microwave ovens in our lunch room. I knew they aren't poisonous, but had never tried them that way; I had gotten a rough recipe on-line.

It was strangely familiar-tasting, and not very good. I didn't use any sweetener, but I don't think it would have made a difference. As I was separating the green parts from the yellow petals, I tasted some of the petals- and the tea I wound up making tasted a lot like them.

I had better luck with my lunch yesterday and today: I quickly steamed some dandelion and garlic mustard leaves from my yard, and added some cooked rice I had brought in from home, vegetable oil, and low-sodium soy sauce. Tasty and nutritious! ...and garlic mustard is officially listed as an invasive species in my state, even though it is edible and (I think) was brought here by settlers as a vegetable from Europe.

That sounds delicious Tom .....I have never tried the leaves, I did dig out dandelion roots and baked/dried them in the oven, ground them up and made dandelion coffee and I don't mind saying, it was much better than the bought stuff.

Dandelion does, however, make a tasty and very potent "wine."

My friend from Maine just made dandelion jelly. She said it tasted more like sugar than anything else, so she plans to tinker with the recipe. She also made tea and said she liked it. She is saving me a jar of the jelly. I've never had anything with dandelion, so it should be interesting. I'd love to try something like that, but practically everyone in my neighborhood treats their lawns with chemicals. :(

Hooray!:rofl: I Made it. Since very long time i've made my first simple salad of tomatoes, cukes and napa cabbage. My fingers behave theirselves.:tomato:.
As soon as i'm going to make a new red rice risotto :lick:, i'll do it myself, because it seems that my mom can't be trusted in this matter.:D

Reactions: Tom L. and Mischief
My friend from Maine just made dandelion jelly. She said it tasted more like sugar than anything else, so she plans to tinker with the recipe. She also made tea and said she liked it. She is saving me a jar of the jelly. I've never had anything with dandelion, so it should be interesting. I'd love to try something like that, but practically everyone in my neighborhood treats their lawns with chemicals. :(
I would like to share dandelions with you, because we are drowning in them, either in the town or in the country, and no one wants to waste expensive chemicals on them. It's a real nightmare for allergics, but for me it's pretty cool to see carpets of yellow color anywhere you're going to.:p

Reactions: Mischief
I had a HUGE portabello recently. It was from the bulk bin and weighed more than a half pound! I sliced it and dry fried in a cast iron, then deglazed with Braggs mixed with a little water. So delicious! I want another really badly!
I just finished yesterdays mac & nooch sauce. I'm still hungry and don't know what to make :rolleyes:

Reactions: Val
I would like to share dandelions with you, because we are drowning in them, either in the town or in the country, and no one wants to waste expensive chemicals on them. It's a real nightmare for allergics, but for me it's pretty cool to see carpets of yellow color anywhere you're going to.:p
I love dandelions. They are so cheerful, and when they go to seed, really magical looking, especially at night, under a full moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.