What did you cook or Bake today? (2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made an Italian style rice dish. Sauteed onions and garlic, then aded rice, green olives, black olives, artichokes, sun dried tomatoes, peas. I used the juice from the olives and artichokes as part of the broth for cooking the rice, as well as some of the oil from the sundried tomatoes, and typically Italian herbs. Topped with vegan Parmesan.
Oh my, that sounds tasty.... :drool:

Last night I made these flourless cookies.... the batter consisted of smashed beans, honey, natural peanut butter, a bit of salt, baking powder, and chocolate chips. The result was.... interesting. I would have used maple syrup except we ran out.

Pasta+veg+peppers. I can cook it all at once in one pot so I can make the whole thing in about 10-15 min.

The funny thing is I have been doing for years and I still always end up with too much pasta. I remembered this today and tried putting what looked like a tiny amount, about half of what I need only to find that they pastas had somehow multiplied and hardly fit on the plate. I think what happens is that boiling water must be ideal conditions for rapid pasta breeding.

I have a -- ground beefless? seitan in the Instant Pot.
I tweaked a recipe - it comes out much like cooked hamburger, very versitle.
One cup TVP soaked in equal parts hot broth. I use Better than Boullion no beef and a half teasp liquid smoke. let sit covered
One cup gluten in bowl, add tvp and stir well till all is covered. Add about a 1/4 cup more liquid.
Pour mixture onto a sheet of heavy foil and wrap like seitan. Steam for 45 minutes, whether a steamer or pressure cooker. Or bake in oven.
I didn't use oil, meant to but forgot. Not sure if it's needed. When cool enough to touch use a fork and flake

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
Last night I made two recipes from a new cookbook.... it's from one of my favorite restaurants. First I made the green bean salad. It's sort of bland by itself, but it works well as a side dish, and it looks very pretty (has carrots, purple cabbage, red and green bell peppers, chopped parsley, etc).

Then I made roasted parsnips with Japanese dressing.... holy crap that dressing is amazing (fresh ginger and garlic, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, mirin, soy sauce, fresh lemon juice). Next time I'll add roasted butternut squash and carrots along with the parsnips.

Then I just made the usual baked beans recipe. Also cooked a big batch of dried pinto beans, most of which will go in the freezer once I've bought more sandwich bags.

Last night I made two recipes from a new cookbook.... it's from one of my favorite restaurants. First I made the green bean salad. It's sort of bland by itself, but it works well as a side dish, and it looks very pretty (has carrots, purple cabbage, red and green bell peppers, chopped parsley, etc).

Then I made roasted parsnips with Japanese dressing.... holy crap that dressing is amazing (fresh ginger and garlic, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, mirin, soy sauce, fresh lemon juice). Next time I'll add roasted butternut squash and carrots along with the parsnips.

Then I just made the usual baked beans recipe. Also cooked a big batch of dried pinto beans, most of which will go in the freezer once I've bought more sandwich bags.
That dressing sounds delicious! I might have to try that. I'm pretty sure I have all the ingredients.

Reactions: Katrina
Didn't do any baking today, but I did make an enormous stove-top batch of seasoned organic popcorn.... :up:

Popcorn.JPG

Yeah, whoopee. :rolleyes: It's a lot tastier than it looks.... mucho nooch-o, plus a little Himalayan pink salt, some Mrs. Dash & garlic powder, heavy on the onion powder & dill weed, and a touch of cayenne (all finely ground with mortar & pestle). :lick: Delish!

That looks very tasty! How'd you get the seasoning to stick so well? Or staged photo :p?

I had the Beyond Meat sausage. OMG...it’s even better than the burgers, which I actually got turned off from the last time I had them. I gave it to husband with peppers and rice for dinner. He has no idea. Son gave it a thumbs up, too. :D

That looks very tasty! How'd you get the seasoning to stick so well? Or staged photo :p?
I use a lot of oil. LOL :p Nah, of course quite a bit of seasoning falls off (and it's a damn shame), but enough of it sticks for sure... I used a stock-pot this time so there was no "pop-over"... then, when done, immediately dumped it into a huge stainless steel bowl & hurriedly sprinkled on the seasoning, tossed gently with tongs (not too much to make it sink to the bottom), sprinkled more, etc....

I used a coconut oil/olive oil combo this time... I prefer the flavor of olive oil, but coconut oil has a much higher flash-point, so I compromised. ;)

I'm having a green smoothie for breakfast and then making red lentil and carrot soup for lunch. It is soup weather as it is chilly and raining today.

Reactions: Katrina and Val
Funny that you posted popcorn. I made some the other day to watch with the newest The 100 episode. Just used olive oil, nooch, garlic powder, paprika, and a bit of salt. Sooo much better than microwave popcorn!

Reactions: PTree15
Vegan hazelnut brownies! :) I found a recipe that was close to what I needed, did some improvising (what else is new?).... I used only ingredients I had on hand, sweetened only with pure maple syrup (called for 2/3-cup sugar, I used 1/2-cup maple syrup), also did a tahini swirl on top.... It baked beautifully & popped right out of my newish pan.... My mother tried a small piece, liked it very much even though she doesn't like brownies... I'll leave a piece for my dad & give the rest to Jerry to bring to Novi for the horror-con tomorrow. ;)

VeganBrownie1.JPG

VeganBrownie2.JPG

Those look amazingly good!^

My lasagna is done! I've had these oven-ready noodles for so long! I used some seitan I whizzed in the food processor with Italian seasonings, then used it for extra firm tofu and olive bar olives with their marinade and basil for tofu ricotta, sauteed mushrooms, onion, zucchini and when soft added chopped spinach to steam. Each one was a layer. The noodles called for water added so I added to the two cans of Italian sauce. Delicious! :drool:
I just realized I forgot to add nooch :eek:

I never thought to use seitan as a filling for lasagna. I'll have to keep that idea in mind.

Last night I made beet-orange-farro salad. It's supposed to have wild rice, but I'm all out, so I used the farro instead. The dressing is what really makes it: freshly squeezed OJ, red wine vinegar, sesame oil, freshly grated ginger, and a dash of hot sauce. The salad also has swiss chard in it. yumm.

Didn't cook anything, but I made a batch of vegan ranch dressing. :) Also had to fix the garbonzo-veggie-burger mix I made yesterday... there was WAY too much moisture! Last night's stuff just fell apart in the skillet.... The flavor was fantastic (onion, zucchini, baby kale, the seasoning's perfect), but the moisture problem had to be fixed. So I added a pinch more ground flax, a bit of oat flour, mixed things up by hand... ended up putting in some quick oats, too. Made two large patties... a round one for a sandwich slim, and a more elliptical one for my last two slices of pumpernickel-rye....

BanzoVegBurger1.JPG

I made a chilli yesterday with black beans and chickpeas. I have ordered some vegan sour cream (from Tesco) and will have it on the leftovers today with some fresh coriander, salsa and with a mixture of wild rice and brown basmati rice.:drool: I've never tried the sour cream before.

Making adzuki beans and brown in the Instant Pot- separately. I need a taller rack, I kinda improvised so I really hope they cook right!

Haven't had adzukis in a long time. I forget what I used to do with them :dismay:

Reactions: Katrina and Val
Status
Not open for further replies.