What are you reading now?

So I caught myself reading a book when i should be reading my textbook... The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. (I'm 53 - maybe a little late to the game, LOL :joy: ) It's actually a pretty good read so far. The only part that bugged me is where he says that the fact that humans are capable of being "self aware" - that we can think about the fact that we are thinking - is what makes us different from all other animals... Specifically, gives us "dominion" over all other life forms. First off - I don't think we smart enough to fully understand what animals think... And I'll take "dominion over" and translate that into "responsibility to care for" ... Other than that, I'm enjoying it. I could stand to be a little more "effective" with my life... It's never too late, right?

Ball Lightning by Cixin Liu

It's his only novel outside the Three Body trilogy that's been translated from Chinese. I really hope translations for his other works are in progress!

Reactions: Lou
Needed a new author so I picked up three of the Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin. I'm on book one Game of Thrones now. He's a very good writer and keeping me interested with it.

Reactions: Andy_T and Lou
I just finished reading "Becoming Vegan: express edition" by dietitians Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina. This book describes itself as "the everyday guide to plant-based nutrition". It contains detailed nutritional information and also addresses issues related to pregnancy and child rearing, seniors, athletes, weight gain, weight loss, etc. I am a long-time vegan now heading into old age and have been wanting to refresh my diet a little for maximum fitness and also to lose some excess weight I've picked up in recent times. This book is very down to earth and will answer many questions that newer vegans may want to ask. I also just purchased the companion book "Cooking Vegan" by dietitian Vesanto Melina and chef Joseph Forest. In addition to the nice easy recipes, there are also a lot of different menu plans for different tastes and cultural preferences, such as raw, Italian, Mexican, Asian, etc. Now all I need to do is to get to work and follow the advice so I can lose those excess pounds!

I just picked up a book at the library that is from 2010 and yet I hadn't seen it before. Why Do we Love Dogs, Eat Pigs and Wear Cows by Melanie Joy. I am sure many here have already read it.

The stats at the beginning are so interesting: the number of land animals (cows, pigs, chickens, etc) that are killed for food in the USA each year. It is startling and awful and was almost 10 years ago so I can't imagine the numbers now.
10 billion, I believe was the number and another 500 million die during the process and are discarded. This does not include the 10 billion sea animals that are also killed. Carnism.

Emma JC

Reactions: Andy_T and Sax
I haven't read the book but I've seen Dr. Joy's lectures on YouTube.

The ones I watched were Terrific.

Just do a YouTube search. she has a lot. Including a Ted Talk, an animated one, and some interviews.

Her lectures, especially on vegan advocacy has been a major influence in shaping my personal philosophy.

I also think she coined the word "carnism".

Reactions: Andy_T and Emma JC
A book from my school days that has always stuck with me, though a little vague now, I just remember that it touched me, made me think that my feelings that animals are worthy of love and respect were validated. I always felt an affinity for cattle, this book was a catalyst for a young me.
Manshy written by Frank Dalby Davison.
He also wrote Dusty, about a dingo x, a book worthy of any dog person. Not a happy ending Lassie story but well worth a read.

I finished The Vegetarian by Han Kang, finally, and would like to read more of her novels, but have to wait for them.

Still skimming/plodding through Carry Tiger to Mountain (a book on the taoism of being an activist), trying to read The Good Food Revolution about a vegetable farmer who also farms fish to feed urban food deserts, and picked up Holding Up Half the Sky in the school library today, a book with essays about Chinese women and feminism.

I really would rather have a novel. Grr.

law-of-one-book-i-the-ra-material.jpg

So I caught myself reading a book when i should be reading my textbook... The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. (I'm 53 - maybe a little late to the game, LOL :joy: ) It's actually a pretty good read so far. The only part that bugged me is where he says that the fact that humans are capable of being "self aware" - that we can think about the fact that we are thinking - is what makes us different from all other animals... Specifically, gives us "dominion" over all other life forms. First off - I don't think we smart enough to fully understand what animals think... And I'll take "dominion over" and translate that into "responsibility to care for" ... Other than that, I'm enjoying it. I could stand to be a little more "effective" with my life... It's never too late, right?
It's never too late! ;) Can you tell us in short what these 7 habits are? (so we don't have to read the whole book :p )

• Haha
Reactions: TofuRobot
I'm in the third book of the Mistborn Trilogy, I'm in the middle of 1Q84 and as I'm a student of the Chinese language I always have at least one book about modern or ancient China on my nightstand. Right now this is: The Chan's Great Continent: China in Western Minds.
For some reason I can never just read one book...

Reactions: Andy_T