Literature What are you currently reading?

I have been reading all of the Jack Reacher books that come available at the library, hence not a lot of posting here.
:unamused:

I really like how Lee Child describes Reacher's thought processes sometimes about the smallest things.

Emma JC

Reactions: Val and Lou
I found an author, Seanan McGuire, that has a lot of e-books that are available at the library. As far as a genre goes I would put it in Adult Urban Fantasy, but sort of mild. Not that scary, a little romance with not that much sex, and not that much violence. And strong on character development with likable characters that are easy to root for. The first one hundred pages of the first novel I wasn't so sure about. It seemed overcomplicated. But the world-building is pretty much completed in the first 100 pages and new stuff is added slowly from then on. And each book in the series uses the world-building that occurred before. Most of the world-building is describing various monsters.

On Hoopla, using "full cast audio" as a search term I found some radio plays. Paladin, Have Gun Will Travel was a radio show in the late 50s and I have been getting a kick out of listening to them. A lot of the episodes are sort of like morality plays. Each episode ends with a little comic relief. Back at the hotel Paladin typically will have a conversation with the Chinese bell boy, Hey Boy. (voiced by a white man with a stylized Chinese accent.) Different times.

I will look for an ebook since the library doesn't have the first books in the series.

In His Majesty's Service contains the first 3 books. Kindle version is like $10 on Amazon.

My library has the whole series in hardcover and ebooks but many have wait times.

Also, Novik has written many other books worth reading. Her specialty seems to be the retelling of fairy tales. Uprooted is really good. She has the first book in a new series coming out soon.

Reactions: Val and Chryssie
I've started on "Outlander" on English a couple of weeks ago, and soon finnished. Then I have the rest of the books left.

I have had a small break on the audiobooks lately. Sometimes I have enough stories on my own in my head. Too bad I'm not good at getting them out on paper. :p

Reactions: Val and Emma JC
I just finished a really good book called "The Eighty-Dollar Champion." It is the true story of a show/jumper horse. If you like horses and inspirational athlete stories, you will enjoy this book. It takes place back in the late 50's and is about a young immigrant horseman who buys a horse headed for the slaughterhouse for $80 and turns him into a world champion jumper. I loved this story!

I just started A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin. I have had this book for a while but didn't have time to read it. So far has been very interesting and I like the way it has been translated.

I finished the first book of a trilogy by Jane Smiley called Some Luck. It is the story of a farming family living in central Iowa not far from where I grew up and went to college. The first book covers the years 1920-1953. I have reserved the second book which picks up where this one leaves off. It is interesting as historical fiction and family drama.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
I finished "Children of Virtue and Vengeance" and of course it ended on a cliff hanger. So I hope she has written the next one and it will be out soon!

I just got the Children of Virtue and Vengence ebook. I was only on the waitlist for 2 months. However, in the meantime I pretty much forgot most of the first book. So I got my memory refreshed from Wikipedia. the Wikipedia entry is also very interesting.

I have been reading "Early Warning", the second book in the trilogy. I am up to 1977 and this book is much more relatable as I remember many of the historical events discussed such as the Vietnam war and protests.

Reactions: Val
The Dutch House
Audio version read by Tom Hanks

Reactions: Val
I recently finished Animal Liberation by Peter Singer. I took a lot more away from it than I thought I would.

I'm currently reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It's the first fantasy book I've read in a long time, coming highly recommended by a friend.

Reactions: edde
I recently finished Animal Liberation by Peter Singer. I took a lot more away from it than I thought I would.

I'm currently reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It's the first fantasy book I've read in a long time, coming highly recommended by a friend.

I started The Name of the Wind, but never finished it. I don't remember why. But yeah, it was one of the top Fantasy Picks the year it came out. Let me know how you liked it. Maybe i should give it a second chance. I think its part of a series.

Reactions: Sax
I have only read the first two chapters of Animal Liberation. It is a very thought provoking book by Peter Singer, who was once an omnivore until a friend of his convinced him to become vegan. Animal Farming, Animal Testing, Animal Entertainment and all other forms of Animal Cruelty are a no-no. We should Choose Animal Compassion Over The Animal Within instead.

The e-book I am currently binge reading is The Road. It is a very sad/depressing book but a good-read anyway. A boy and a man are engrossed in a never-ending journey trying to stay alive in an "apocalyptic" world characterised by wintry weather, dead bodies, food scarcity and cannibals.

Reactions: Sax