Literature What are you currently reading?

It looks like we have some other YA fans. I suppose you all have read at least some Tamora Pierce. She is my favorite YA author. And has been writing books for over 20 years. You can find almost all her books on Libby. both e-books and audiobooks. And Hoopla has a lot of her audiobooks.

She writes a lot of her books in series (mostly quartets) and some of her quartets have the same characters as others. So creating a reading order can be tricky. This page will help.

BTW, she never considered herself a YA author.

Reactions: Chryssie and David3
I haven't finished The Happiness Trap yet. I bought another book (big surprise! :laughing: ) called Reasons to Stay Alive - Matt Haig.

Reactions: KLS52
On a whim, I took a Margaret Atwood Masterclass on writing, without having read any of her work. What a treasure she is. I was instantly a fan. She is so freaking-intelligent, articulate and in general a fascinating persona. I could listen to her talk for hours. So I picked up 'The Handmaid's Tale.' Not disappointed. A clinic on world-building; dark and imaginative - very Orwellian.

On a whim, I took a Margaret Atwood Masterclass on writing, without having read any of her work. What a treasure she is. I was instantly a fan. She is so freaking-intelligent, articulate and in general a fascinating persona. I could listen to her talk for hours. So I picked up 'The Handmaid's Tale.' Not disappointed. A clinic on world-building; dark and imaginative - very Orwellian.
I have an ebook of "The Handmaid's Tale" but I have yet to read it. There is a lot of talk about it since it was adapted to a TV show which I haven't seen either.

The Crossing by Kathy Watson:

The Crossing
tells the colorful story of Matthew Webb, the first person to swim across the English Channel. Webb was born in 1848, learned to swim as a boy in the River Severn, and joined the merchant marine, where he received a medal for bravery for diving after a seaman who had fallen into the Atlantic.
A natural showman, he gained sponsors for what was considered an impossible feat, to swim from Dover to Calais.

I started reading "Children of Virtue and Vengeance" by Tomi Adeyemi. It is the second book in a series for young adults. The first book is "Children of Blood and Bone". It is a fantasy about injustice, war, and magic.

I put the Virtue and Vengence ebook on hold. The wait time is 6 months!

• Wow
Reactions: Chryssie
I finished "Children of Virtue and Vengeance" and of course it ended on a cliff hanger. So I hope she has written the next one and it will be out soon!

Reactions: Val
I'm reading Top Sante magazine as I got two magazine subscriptions at the start of the year. It's a Coronavirus special. They were saying that a podcast to listen to was about how much more you could achieve if you got up one hour earlier. Why would you want to do that when there is nothing to do at the moment?! :laughing: I'm trying to sleep in later.

I read an older John Grisham book called "The Broker" from 2005. It was sitting on my shelf for while. I probably bought it at the library bookstore's sale. It was just ok. It was more a "spy" book than his usual lawyer stories.

Finished another book from my own shelf called "The First Patient" by Michael Palmer. It was a medical thriller about the President of the US and the main character was his doctor. It was exciting and kept me reading it with the intrigue.

Reactions: Val and Lou
I usually use my computer or iPhone to download books from OverDrive or Libby and then send them to my Amazon Kindle Fire.
Today I tried using OverDrive on my Amazon Fire. The book I wanted to read had only an epub file. I didn't want to take the time to get out my old iPad so I just downloaded it and .... it opened.:grinning:
I did not know you could read epub files on a Kindle. Nice! 📖

I also erased and re-downloaded Hoopla on the Fire. It took care of a couple of issues I was dealing with.

Reactions: Val and Chryssie
I usually use my computer or iPhone to download books from OverDrive or Libby and then send them to my Amazon Kindle Fire.
Today I tried using OverDrive on my Amazon Fire. The book I wanted to read had only an epub file. I didn't want to take the time to get out my old iPad so I just downloaded it and .... it opened.:grinning:
I did not know you could read epub files on a Kindle. Nice! 📖

I also erased and re-downloaded Hoopla on the Fire. It took care of a couple of issues I was dealing with.

Correction.
Kindle doesn't open epub files. but you can download an epub file on your Kindle in OverDrive. And OverDrive has a built-in e-reader. It has all the good features, too. I knew you could read books in Libby (OverDrives friendly little sister), but I didn't know you could read books in OverDrive.

So I downloaded and re-read Tamora Pierce's Wild Magic in OverDrive. It is short and fun. Just what the doctor ordered. It's a lot more YA than I remembered. I think vegans will like this book because the main character has a lot of empathy with animals.

Finding older books in OverDrive (or Libby) that are available right now is not that difficult. With the combination of sheltering in place and the libraries being closed having access to books is paramount.

I finished that short story book in a few hours. I wasn't that impressed with the stories; they were pretty weird. I liked her other book I read a lot better!

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou
I read another John Grisham book called "The Rooster Bar". It was published in 2017 so is fairly new. I liked it. I went on the library's site and have reserved 5 more books. I am first in the line for most of them so I should hear from them in a couple days.

Reactions: Val