Literature What are you currently reading?

I actually don't like books anymore. Sometimes I have to get a hardcover book out of the library because its is so new there is no e-book available. if it is a hardcover book it is a pain to lug around. If it is real thick i can only be comfortable reading it at a desk or table. and then the reading angle is bad. If I try reading it in bed it takes 2 hands to hold it open.
E-book readers fit in my back pocket. I can balance one on my knee and read no-handed. You can read one with the lights off (if you have one that has a screen that lights up). If it has a built-in stand or if you have a stand-alone stand - you can always have it at a good angle. And you can take several books with you on vacation and they don't weigh you down.
and you don't have to go to the library to take one out or return it.

I actually don't like books anymore. Sometimes I have to get a hardcover book out of the library because its is so new there is no e-book available. if it is a hardcover book it is a pain to lug around. If it is real thick i can only be comfortable reading it at a desk or table. and then the reading angle is bad. If I try reading it in bed it takes 2 hands to hold it open.
E-book readers fit in my back pocket. I can balance one on my knee and read no-handed. You can read one with the lights off (if you have one that has a screen that lights up). If it has a built-in stand or if you have a stand-alone stand - you can always have it at a good angle. And you can take several books with you on vacation and they don't weigh you down.
and you don't have to go to the library to take one out or return it.
I do love that I can borrow ebooks and audio books from the library without going to the library.
I;ve gotten better at listening to books

Reactions: David3 and Val
I do love that I can borrow ebooks and audio books from the library without going to the library.
I;ve gotten better at listening to books

I have found that instead of listening to the news, I will go to sleep with an audiobook. I like to listen to audiobooks which I have already read the book. That way if I fall asleep and the audio keeps going I don't feel like I have to figure out where I left off. And I don't have to pay close attention.

I love Bujold and have read all of her books. Hoopla has a lot of her books in audio format so that has become my go-to.

Just started The Republic of Pirates by Colin Woodward. I like reading about the age of sail and I've been meaning to check out this author. I think the romanticized pop-culture pirate stuff is stupid so hopefully this book will cut through that - coming in with low expectations though.

Reactions: David3 and Val
Just started The Republic of Pirates by Colin Woodward. I like reading about the age of sail and I've been meaning to check out this author. I think the romanticized pop-culture pirate stuff is stupid so hopefully this book will cut through that - coming in with low expectations though.

If you haven't read it yet, Two Years Before the Mast, is highly recommended.

Two Years Before the Mast is a memoir by the American author Richard Henry Dana Jr., published in 1840, having been written after a two-year sea voyage from Boston to California on a merchant ship starting in 1834. A film adaptation under the same name was released in 1946. - Wikipedia

A real snapshot of that time period.

The novel I just finished titled "We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves" by Karen Joy Fowler was quite the interesting read. It is the story of the Cooke family told by Rosemary Cooke. This is not your ordinary family but I will not give it away in case anyone wants to read it. Beyond just the study of a "typical" or not so typical American family, it goes into animal rights and the ALF. I will read more of this author's books as her writing is very good!

• Love
Reactions: Val, Sax and Lou
The novel I just finished titled "We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves" by Karen Joy Fowler was quite the interesting read. It is the story of the Cooke family told by Rosemary Cooke. This is not your ordinary family but I will not give it away in case anyone wants to read it. Beyond just the study of a "typical" or not so typical American family, it goes into animal rights and the ALF. I will read more of this author's books as her writing is very good!

OH! I read that book, too. It was great and Yes. don't describe it at all.
I will mention that since the library is closed you can get the kindle version from Amazon for $2.
I read the Jane Austen Book Club that was also really good. And the movie isn't bad either.

Reactions: Chryssie
I am going to look on the library site to see if there are more of her books since I can still pick them up or stream an ebook if available too. I should look for the movie too!

Reactions: Val
I am going to look on the library site to see if there are more of her books since I can still pick them up or stream an ebook if available too. I should look for the movie too!

my library has only Besides Ourselves available as a free e-book.

The Book Club movie is not as good as the book (as usual.) I saw the movie years after I read the book and I thought the movie was a little different but with my memory (or lack of it) I wasn't sure - so my having read the book didn't spoil the movie.
I did really like the movie, tho. Especially the casting. which is unusual for me when I have read the book first. But you know, Maria Bello AND Emily Blunt. Mmmm.
I think I saw the movie on Netflix

Chryssie, years ago my mom lived in South Florida and turned me onto some South Florida Mystery writers. Hiaasen was my favorite. Not technically a mystery writer but I liked Dave Barry's Big Trouble, too. For some reason, Elmore Leonard comes to mind, but I think that must be a mental hiccup

I love Hiaason and have read several of his books. Dave Barry I have heard of and I have read some of his work. I used to read Elmore Leonard years and years ago but I don't know if he is a Floridian.

I love Hiaason and have read several of his books. Dave Barry I have heard of and I have read some of his work. I used to read Elmore Leonard years and years ago but I don't know if he is a Floridian.

I just checked - and Elmore isn't. I think my mom must have been a fan of his too. I think he has some things in common with Hiaasen. All three of those authors have damaged protagonists and absurd villains.

For years Dave Barry wrote for the Miami Herald. And eventually became syndicated in Sunday Magazines all over. He even had a TV show based on himself. I love his stuff. He even got a Pulitzer. Big Trouble and Insane City are novels he wrote. He even has written some stuff for kids.

This is one of my favorite articles.

I just checked - and Elmore isn't. I think my mom must have been a fan of his too. I think he has some things in common with Hiaasen. All three of those authors have damaged protagonists and absurd villains.

For years Dave Barry wrote for the Miami Herald. And eventually became syndicated in Sunday Magazines all over. He even had a TV show based on himself. I love his stuff. He even got a Pulitzer. Big Trouble and Insane City are novels he wrote. He even has written some stuff for kids.

This is one of my favorite articles.

Dave Barry fan also. David Sedaris too. I love my Kindle reader - I got mine in 2014 and it still works great.

Dave Barry fan also. David Sedaris too. I love my Kindle reader - I got mine in 2014 and it still works great.

The Santa Diaries are the best. NPR rebroadcasts Sedaris reading them during the holidays. My old kindle is pretty banged up now. I just got a Kindle Fire to replace it. Not as easy on the eyes and of course it needs to be charged every day. but you can read in the dark. I also use it to watch Netflix shows when I'm on the go.

Reactions: Chryssie and David3
I started reading "Children of Virtue and Vengeance" by Tomi Adeyemi. It is the second book in a series for young adults. The first book is "Children of Blood and Bone". It is a fantasy about injustice, war, and magic.

I started reading "Children of Virtue and Vengeance" by Tomi Adeyemi. It is the second book in a series for young adults. The first book is "Children of Blood and Bone". It is a fantasy about injustice, war, and magic.

I love YA novels. So idealistic and passionate. I like YA authors Francesca Lia Block, M.E. Kerr, Paul Zindel, Rainbow Rowell, and Ron Koertge.

Reactions: Lou
I really like YA novels. I have read quite a lot of them. Of course the "trendy" ones like "Divergent", "Maze Runner", "Twilight." I like sci-fi, fantasy and the dystopian genres. I will look up those authors you listed.

Reactions: Lou and David3

Oh, I read Children of Blook and Bone, too. I had seen an ad for it that called it a cross between Harry Potter and Black Panther. A bit of hyperbole there but it was pretty good. and the bio of the author was impressive. I think she might get a movie deal.
I hadn't heard that her second book was out. I will go look for it right now.
Found it on Libby and put it oh hold

Reactions: Chryssie