Literature What are you currently reading?

Master of the Game, by Sidney Sheldon. One of my favorites as young. It's written in 1982. He writes mostly about strong, female main characteres, and is a male author that handle that very well. A lot of men are not good at writing female characters. But he is.

I also found out that since I read so much books from the US, I'm planning to cover all the states too. :p Finding the books are as much as fun as reading them. :D

Btw. @Val . If you have any good suggestions on Russian authors you know have books translated to English, let me know! I don't know much about Russian litterature, and so far Lev Tolstoj is one of the few I know about. :p Btw. I use today's borders when I pick authors, even though the technically was born in a different country. So far. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Val
Master of the Game, by Sidney Sheldon. One of my favorites as young. It's written in 1982. He writes mostly about strong, female main characteres, and is a male author that handle that very well. A lot of men are not good at writing female characters. But he is.

I also found out that since I read so much books from the US, I'm planning to cover all the states too. :p Finding the books are as much as fun as reading them. :D

Btw. @Val . If you have any good suggestions on Russian authors you know have books translated to English, let me know! I don't know much about Russian litterature, and so far Lev Tolstoj is one of the few I know about. :p Btw. I use today's borders when I pick authors, even though the technically was born in a different country. So far. :p
I loved that book! I couldn't put it down. I read it in one day. I remember my mom coming into my room to see if I was still alive, because I'd been reading it for hours, haha. I even skipped dinner. :D

I loved that book! I couldn't put it down. I read it in one day. I remember my mom coming into my room to see if I was still alive, because I'd been reading it for hours, haha. I even skipped dinner. :D

Yeah. It's really awsome. The book is so old know, and pages turning yellow. But still great. <3

Reactions: Val and PTree15

Ok, started working on it.🤓 Too many awesome russian books to read.👻 I'll try to find the books themselves, so you wouldn't have to browse around. Btw, i wouldn't recommend you Lev Tolstoy. :lol:

Btw, one of the books that i would highly recommend to start with (in order to fall in love with russian literature), is this book.
Ivan Goncharov, "The voyage of the frigate Pallada".⛵🌊💓 It's an absolutely miraculous book. When i was reading it, i didn't want it to come to an end,- i wanted to read it permanently, lol. No wonder,- because it's all about adventures. But all events described in the book happened in real life. It's about beautiful virgin nature and brave people, passionate about discoveries of new lands (so very romantic)... It has 2 volumes, but if you don't find the 2nd one,- the 1st one is still worth reading, as it is. I couldn't find its translation into English for free, but for the start, i've found some inexpensive copies. Btw, Ivan Goncharov is considered one of the "greatest" russian writers, and we even study 1 of his books at school, but, unfortunately, it's the wrong kind of book,- it's too pretencious, long and difficult for reading, especially at school. The question is: why not study "Fregate Pallada" at school?? School kids would be delighted... Miracles, alas...
Anyway, here they are (inexpensive digital copies):

Reactions: PTree15
Thank you @Val !

I'll see if the library can get hold on it. :) I read paper or listen to audiobooks. Don't have a Kindle (yet...).

I finnished The Canterville Ghost of Oscar Wilde yesterday, and that was a funny book.

Now I'm on the second book of the short stories that is dated 90 years before GOT happens. I've tried on those before, but didn't enjoy them then. But after GOT, things are a bit more understanding and the books are great.

I have Robinson Crusoe on my list now, and an Icelandic book called somethings as "The Handbook for Serialkillers". I think those two books will keep me busy through the last nights now. Or I need to add one or two short stories in the end perhaps.

I needed a break on the Courtney serie, as the next book is listed on the reading challenge of 2020.

Since I'm planning to read one book from each year too, I need to read a lot of old books too. And tbh, that is quite cool to see how books and stories have changed. :)

I have finished reading "Devil in the Grove" by Gilbert King. It is subtitled Thurgood Marshal, the Groveland Boys, and the Dawn of a New America. This book won a Pultizer Prize and was published in 2012. It takes place before the other book I talked about by this author. (I read them in the wrong order) There is a lot of information about the famous civil rights lawyer Thurgood Marshal. It is about Lake County Florida and the horrible things that happened to 4 young black men who were accused of rape. This book (like the other one) had me gasping in disbelief at what was going on in the 40's and 50's and beyond in Central Florida and the hold the KKK had on the area. And here is a recent article concerning the case:

Reactions: Mikkel and PTree15
I most recently (over the weekend) read "Star Wars- Thrawn: Treason". The literary equivalent of junk food. I am ashamed. :D

j/k. It was okay. Different from most Star Wars things though- it's all about some internal intrigue between the Empire and their Chiss allies.

I am reading something much lighter than the last couple of books! Carl Hiaasen is a Florida journalist and novelist who has written for the Miami Herald for many years. His books are all about Florida's quirky characters and are very funny. This book though is a collection of articles he wrote for the newspaper back in the 80's and 90's called "Kick ***". So far it has been an interesting and amusing read!

I am reading something much lighter than the last couple of books! Carl Hiaasen is a Florida journalist and novelist who has written for the Miami Herald for many years. His books are all about Florida's quirky characters and are very funny. This book though is a collection of articles he wrote for the newspaper back in the 80's and 90's called "Kick ***". So far it has been an interesting and amusing read!

I always enjoy Hiaasen's books.

Reactions: Emma JC
I recently read all the Witcher books.

I am now finishing up Ann Cleeves' Shetland mysteries. They're good, but not as good as her Vera Stanhope books.

I also recently finished reading the Expanse series, which I enjoyed very much. I had pretty much stopped reading science fiction and fantasy a few decades ago; it just wasn't appealing to me any more. More recently, though, I've been encountering works in those genres that I'm really enjoying.

Last edited:
I just finished Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead by Olga Tocarczuk. She's a Polish Nobel Prize winning writer, and a vegetarian.

This novel has strong animal rights themes and as such is not light reading.

The writing is simply beautiful, and the translation is excellent.

Reactions: Andy_T and Val
I got bored with Hiaasen's articles about political corruption in Miami in the 80's and 90's so now I am reading another book about Florida history called "Southeast Florida Pioneers". So far it is very interesting.