Literature What are you currently reading?

I read "Harry Potter And The Cursed Child". It was different from the books, I suppose partly because it takes place some time after them and partly because it's really a play- but I liked it anyway. I saw the movie "Coraline" but didn't read the book; I liked it. The sound track appealed to me also.
Could you please post the soundtrack here? I'd like yo listen to it separately (if it exists somewhere on Youtube, for instace)... I've never watched anything about Harry Potter, and i don't think i ever will, but if you say that the soundtrack is good,- then i'd like to listen to it as if it was just a piece for symphony orchestra (or whatever it is for).

That is an excellent thing. I think that it makes it easier to work abroad or with foreign firms.

It is. We also only text English spoken TV shows, films etc.
I read "Harry Potter And The Cursed Child". It was different from the books, I suppose partly because it takes place some time after them and partly because it's really a play- but I liked it anyway. I saw the movie "Coraline" but didn't read the book; I liked it. The sound track appealed to me also.

I didn't like "The Cursed Child" the first time I read it, but I enjoyed it more this time. And I'm going to try to get tickets if it comes to either Norway or Gothenburg.

"Coraline" is a really cute book. So worth it's time. Haven't seen the movie.

Started on "The Graveyard Book" by Neil Gaiman now. I think "Coraline" is better.

Could you please post the soundtrack here? I'd like yo listen to it separately (if it exists somewhere on Youtube, for instace)... I've never watched anything about Harry Potter, and i don't think i ever will, but if you say that the soundtrack is good,- then i'd like to listen to it as if it was just a piece for symphony orchestra (or whatever it is for).

You can fin it here:

Youtube

I read A Handmaid's Tale. I can see why there was a sequel. At first I thought this might be more of a commercial cash in of recent interest but in a way it makes sense. The ending actually left quite a lot up in the air.

I can see why there was more recent interest in it. A part of the book deals with the transition from a normal/free/democratic society to a totalitarian/fascist/dictatorship/sexist type one. However there wasn't much about how the transition happened, it was mostly more about the society itself. However that bit about the transition period was interesting - I would have liked to have seen more on it.

Has anyone read the sequel? Is it worth it? Haven't decided on the sequel yet.
I have read The Testaments, which i the follow-up to The Handmaid's Tale. I actually liked The Testaments better, although it is a long time since I read THT (I read that when it was first published).

The Testaments is written from three different points of view, and is more character driven, both of which aspects appeal to me. It's quite different from THT, and not a typical sequel.

Reactions: Jamie in Chile
I'm glad @Mikkel posted the Harry Potter music. I don't remember much at all, except the main theme (which is heard in all the movies, I think). "Coraline"'s music was interesting: it was mostly kind of carefree, playful, and childlike sounding, even though the movie itself is dark, with the "witch" and all... I don't think either movie's soundtrack is worth buying though.

Reactions: Mikkel and Val
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I really like this book, probably since I get a bit in the World of Warcraft mode with Dalaran and Underbelly there. :p I have under three houers left of it now, and then Silmarillion is up. I tried to read it on paper once, but gave up. I do LOVE the Lord of the Rings, and thinks it's one of the biggest masterpieces on paper, but I've never been a fan of all the books of Tolkien.

After that, I have two audibooks left of my reading challenge. The rest will be in paper. So next week, I have to decide who's my favourite celebrity. :p

Reactions: Val and Chryssie
I just finished the book by Leonard Nimoy called "I Am Spock". It was published in 1995 and was the second book he wrote about his Star Trek experience. The first one is "I Am Not Spock" published in 1975. Twenty years later, he admits the first book was a big mistake and cost him some criticism. This book was very interesting and entertaining. He tells some great stories about Star Trek and his other projects. Lots of pictures of Star Trek scenes throughout the book. If you are a "Trekkie", you will enjoy this book!

I just read The Machine Stops by EM Forster. I can hardly even believe this science fiction story of the future was written in 1909, it is unbelievably prophetic and still relevant today. I would recommend it.

I just finished The Body: A Guide for Occupants, by Bill Bryson, which I recommend.

I read fiction almost exclusively, because I had to read so much "serious" stuff all my life for school and then work, but I read Bryson whenever he writes a new book because he has such a gift for conveying a lot of information in a very entertaining way.

Reactions: PTree15 and Mikkel
I am reading couple of books side by side. Two are for leisure and one is for work. My student is taking her Biology AP exam and i am reading the textbook called Concepts of Biology with her. Helping her with comprehending the biotech bits of it especially. For my own leisure, I am reading The Memory Police by Yoko Ogawa (IT IS SO GOOD) and re-reading the graphic novel Watchmen.

I just finished the new John le Carre novel, Agent Running in the Field.

I highly recommend it. It has all the heart his novels always have, and he is utterly scathing on the subjects of trump and of Brexit.

I rewarded me with two new books the other day. So I have started on "A boy and his dog at the end of the world". Published in 2019,so suits my reading challenge too.

Reactions: Chryssie and Val
I have decided to learn some Florida history because I love history and since I didn't grow up here, my knowledge is very limited. I just finished a book, that while fiction, had a lot of information about the Seminole Indians who are native to Florida. It is called "Allapattah" and is the story of a young Seminole man torn between the old ways of his ancestors (and his grandfather) and the modern world. This takes place in 1975 in South Florida near Miami. Very interesting but sad.

Reactions: Mikkel and Val
I liked the book about Barack Obama, and he even read it himself. He has a great voice and ability to tell a story.

So that make all my audiobooks for the readning challenge to be finnished, and I have two on paper left now. On audibook now I have started on "When the Lion Feeds" by Wilbur Smith, the first in the Courtney series. That means I have quite many houers listening in front of me. Somethings wrong with my phone though, so my headset won't plug in. :( I need to switch phone this week then, as I just have to have the ability to listen to books on it...

Well. I'm on my last paper book for the challenge. And listen to several audiobooks since last post. Even one written 500 BC and one about flat earthers.

I've started on the third book in Wilbur Smith's Courtney serie.

And I've started on a bucket list / life long reading challenge. Read a book from every country in the world. I will base it on where they have been born where I can, or have a good connection to the country if I don't find any translated books.

I've done Zambia, Sweden, Vatican City and China so far.

I just finnished the last book in my Harry Potter reading challenge. :D

In 2020, I have only one small one, with 12 books. I've picked out 10 of the books allready, and also get several different countries from the authors. I miss a graphic novel (I need to go to the store to look at those first), and a book with a main character that is disabled. Two of the books I've picked out here is LGBTQ+ books. And I can't remember last time (or if I ever) have read a book with a main character that is disabled from the start, or in the very beginning. People loose limbs etc during the books. but not before the books starts or born with it. It's quite amazing how the main characters in books are presented. And that if you don't really search for it, the diversity is very limited...

I will finnish at least one audiobook this comming week, so that will make 2019 contain 106 books, unless I squeeze in some more at the end.

I've done Zambia, Vatican City, Sweden, China, Ukraine, France, Lebanon and England so far on my bucket list. I've also started to log the year the books are first published in original, and planning to read one book from each year as far as possible.

Yeah. I'm hooked on books. :p