Literature What are you currently reading?

I just finished "Walk the Wire" by David Baldacci. It was a really good thriller with lots of murder, action, and government conspiracies. It is one of the Memory Man series about Amos Decker who is a FBI agent.

I used to love Baldacci, but his stories went too much over the top for me at some point.

I remember dropping a book, think it was "The Camel Club", and saying to myself "Nah, that's just too much"...

• Friendly
  • Agree
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I used to love Baldacci, but his stories went too much over the top for me at some point.

I remember dropping a book, think it was "The Camel Club", and saying to myself "Nah, that's just too much"...
I have read a few of his books in the past but I can't remember if I read that one. The Memory Man series is pretty interesting but you do have to overlook some of the "over the top" stuff. I don't mind an action thriller that stretches reality somewhat!

Reactions: PTree15 and Andy_T
I don't mind an action thriller that stretches reality somewhat!
my thing is that the premise of the story can be as unrealistic as the author wants. But everything else need to flow logically from that premise.

It's best when the premise, rules, constraints are explained in the first chapter. Even better when they are explained without exposition. from there the plot can go foward without much more suspension of disbelief.

I started reading In Cold Blood by Truman Capote last night. It is supposed to be the most famous true crime novel of all time. I have had it on my mind for years to read and thought I may as well as I have so much time at home at the moment.

My husband is picking up my new library book today as well.

Reactions: Emma JC
I started reading In Cold Blood by Truman Capote last night. It is supposed to be the most famous true crime novel of all time. I have had it on my mind for years to read and thought I may as well as I have so much time at home at the moment.

My husband is picking up my new library book today as well.
Oh, my gosh, I read that a long time ago, and I made the mistake of reading it while on a camping trip, lol! Very well done, though.

• Wow
Reactions: Raven
Oh, my gosh, I read that a long time ago, and I made the mistake of reading it while on a camping trip, lol! Very well done, though.
It is well done. I was thinking of watching the film Capote afterwards as I remember that getting very good reviews at the time.

Reactions: PTree15
I read In Cold Blood a really long time ago and I think I saw the movie as well but I don't really remember either!
Yesterday I finished another Mary Kay Andrews romance/thriller called "The High Tide Club." The previous two I read took place in Florida and this one takes place on a fictional island off the coast of Georgia near Savannah. I enjoy books about areas that are meaningful to me so this one fit that bill. It was a good read with interesting and believable characters and a good mystery. It is about a young single mother who is a lawyer. She is asked to find some people by an eccentric 99 year old woman who owns most of the island. Lots of family drama, quirky characters, romance and murder.

I'm now reading Helter Skelter, the book about the Manson family as that got recommended to me after I read the other true crime book.

Read another older (2004) Harlan Coben book called "Just One Look." It was a really twisty thriller with lots of killing, the mob, and interesting characters. A bit dated as the whole thing hinged on an old photo that was slipped into a packet of prints from a photo store. Do those even exist anymore? LOL

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Read another older (2004) Harlan Coben book called "Just One Look." It was a really twisty thriller with lots of killing, the mob, and interesting characters. A bit dated as the whole thing hinged on an old photo that was slipped into a packet of prints from a photo store. Do those even exist anymore? LOL
Maybe. I know you can still get prints at Walgreens.

I have finished The Feud, but I still have the rest of the Manson book to read.

I'm going to look for some of my favourite authors today and see if the library has any of the books I have missed and want to read.

I finally finished the Manson book then I saw there is another one about him called Chaos. I forget the rest of the title. I bought it as it was only £2.99 on kindle. I will start that tomorrow.

I have about 5 books on reserve at the library now too.

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
I started the Manson book last night.

I got a message that one of my books is ready. The Shari Lapena book. My husband is going to pick it up for me and drop off the one I have read.

Reactions: Emma JC