What are you craving?

I'm very particular about fruit cake. It has to be mostly fruit and almost no cake lol. Entennman's made the very best fruitcake imo. But it's not vegan and I haven't had it in years. I'm not even sure they still make it. I never see it in the stores.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15
I think the rum puts me off fruit cake. I've never liked it. :D I like most of what goes into it, but I don't like it all together, haha. It does look very pretty and festive, though. :)

Reactions: KLS52
I don't like fruit cake. I also don't really like xmas pudding or xmas cake. I don't always like mince pies but now people keep going on about them they are out of stock when I have looked.🤐
I've always loved fruitcake, but it's so dense and rich, I can see why it would turn some people off. (Erma Bombeck used to joke about how they weigh more than the oven they were baked in- and I have to admit it's only a small exaggeration!) Whatever fruitcake is, it is EXTREMELY that! A grand aunt on my father's side used to make fruitcakes every year, but she didn't use alcohol of any kind in them.

Mince pies were a family tradition when I was growing up; my Dad and my two sisters all worked. on them in the kitchen. I didn't find out that the mince pie filling we used (Nonesuch) actually contained meat until years (maybe decades) after I became vegetarian!!!!! But some mince pie fillings are only made with fruit, spices, and sugar. I have no idea what the beef is supposed to do in mince pie; you certainly can't taste it!

I never had Christmas pudding or cake. I've never had that "figgy pudding" they sing about in "We Wish You A Merry Christmas", either...

Reactions: KLS52 and bEt
Growing up, my mother would would recieve a Grand Marnier fruitcake through the mail from someone. It came in a beautiful tin my grandmother would use to package her angel wing pastries for my aunt and uncle. It did weigh a ton! I think my mother was the only one who really ate any. She kept the rest in the freezer.

I am really craving a good salad! I have spring greens, cooked beets, walnuts olives and dried cranberries ready for lunch tomorrow

I didn't find out that the mince pie filling we used (Nonesuch) actually contained meat until years (maybe decades) after I became vegetarian!!!!!
Mincemeat is mostly fruit, but it traditionally uses suet (animal fat) as an ingredient.

My wife makes green tomato mincemeat that tastes exactly like traditional mincemeat, but it is vegan. It is great in pies!

Tamales! I watched a hallmark movie yesterday and the family was making tamales for Christmas Eve lol.

• Love
Reactions: PTree15
Gingerbread cookies. I might brave the store in a bit (they’re predicting snow…a whopping coating to an inch so it’s likely to be super crowded) and get some ingredients and try my hand at baking.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and shyvas
320616246_1187987381802827_3711561202908818424_n.jpg

This looks good. I'm always craving authentic blue cheese and artisan style wholegrain sourdough bread.

320616246_1187987381802827_3711561202908818424_n.jpg

This looks good. I'm always craving authentic blue cheese and artisan style wholegrain sourdough bread.

Never been a fan of blue-vein but that bread looks absolutely scrumptious! I wish you could have bread like that shipped to your door lol.

Oh yeah, I'm getting mad cravings for pepperoni pizza... Don't worry I haven't given in.

Reactions: KLS52 and Brian W
Never been a fan of blue-vein but that bread looks absolutely scrumptious! I wish you could have bread like that shipped to your door lol.

Oh yeah, I'm getting mad cravings for pepperoni pizza... Don't worry I haven't given in.

Have you ever tasted artisan style Stilton? It's really by far the best cheese ever. Many of the other blue cheeses (especially the vegan ones) don't taste very good. I always crave Stilton but have found an artisan style one in the UK called Brixton Blue by La Faumagerie and it's really not bad at all.
La%20Fauxmagerie%20Brixton%20Blue_0.jpg

I never really liked blue cheese. I would try a vegan version to try it.

I fancy a biryani.:)

Reactions: Brian W
I never really liked blue cheese. I would try a vegan version to try it.

I fancy a biryani.:)

You may actually like Brixton Blue as it does have a nice mellow taste. However, none of them duplicate dairy cheese, especially Stilton which is my absolute favourite that I will always crave.......:sob::grinning::grinning:

I'm very particular about fruit cake. It has to be mostly fruit and almost no cake lol. Entennman's made the very best fruitcake imo. But it's not vegan and I haven't had it in years. I'm not even sure they still make it. I never see it in the stores.
That bakery markets in my area, too. But now that you mention it... although I've seen fruitcakes in the local supermarkets (I'm careful not to drool on the floor), I haven't seen Entenmann's.

Reactions: KLS52
Have you ever tasted artisan style Stilton? It's really by far the best cheese ever. Many of the other blue cheeses (especially the vegan ones) don't taste very good. I always crave Stilton but have found an artisan style one in the UK called Brixton Blue by La Faumagerie and it's really not bad at all.
La%20Fauxmagerie%20Brixton%20Blue_0.jpg

I'm very much a basic-b when it comes to cheese. It does look interesting though. Looks like artwork more than it does food lol.

• Haha
Reactions: shyvas