What are you craving?

cole slaw--but with good vegan mayo dressing!
I bought Hellmans vegan because I couldn't find Just again and it's it yucky :yuck: , tastes like plastic!
I'm gonna have to try Andys mayo recipe with the added potato!
Same here, and it's disgusting. I have to doctor the crap out of the Hellman's to make it edible!

I did it. Made eggplant chunks in the air fryer. They came out pretty good but I totally miss the oil. I just happen to like greasy food. But definitely tasty enough.
I made a fresh pot of marinara sauce. And potato salad and baked beans.
I controlled myself. Had only a small amount of each so I will have more to enjoy over the next 2-3 days.
Actually I hid the potato salad so husband doesn’t eat it. I feel just a tad guilty but he has the option of having potato salad from the deli or supermarket. I have no options of buying premade vegan food like potato salad.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
Interesting. Hellman’s was the only choice I had when I was living at my SIL’s and I was so scared of it. But I totally didn’t hate it. I thought it was perfectly fine. My favorite is Follow your heart reduced fat but it’s no where to be found here. It’s the closest to just mayo which also is no where to be found. Luckily I have the original Vegenaise here in my new town.
For some reason the reduced fat is thicker and creamier than the original. Probably not a good reason I’m sure lol. But I first tried it when I was counting points with WW.

I find the vegenaise has a bad habit of separating and getting watery.

I did it. Made eggplant chunks in the air fryer. They came out pretty good but I totally miss the oil. I just happen to like greasy food. But definitely tasty enough.
I made a fresh pot of marinara sauce. And potato salad and baked beans.
I controlled myself. Had only a small amount of each so I will have more to enjoy over the next 2-3 days.
Actually I hid the potato salad so husband doesn’t eat it. I feel just a tad guilty but he has the option of having potato salad from the deli or supermarket. I have no options of buying premade vegan food like potato salad.

Didn't you spray them with oil before baking them ? That's what I always do. Yes, fried or baked/oiled food always tastes better.o_O

Interesting. Hellman’s was the only choice I had when I was living at my SIL’s and I was so scared of it. But I totally didn’t hate it. I thought it was perfectly fine. My favorite is Follow your heart reduced fat but it’s no where to be found here. It’s the closest to just mayo which also is no where to be found. Luckily I have the original Vegenaise here in my new town.
For some reason the reduced fat is thicker and creamier than the original. Probably not a good reason I’m sure lol. But I first tried it when I was counting points with WW.

Extra starch and fructose syrup ?

Reactions: KLS52
I think vegan Hellman's is nice!:D

I don't know what I'm craving... I'm just drinking my water with ACV before I decide what to have for breakfast.

Honestly, the first jar I bought of Hellmans was fine--we didn't like it as much as Just Mayo, but it tasted "normal". I recently got another jar and it not only tastes like plastic, but looks odd, like super white and just odd.

Anyway, I remembered a recipe AndyT posted and found it, so I added it to the recipe section.
I may try it today since I'll open a plain soy milk --

Ingredients:

250 ml soymilk
200 ml vegetable oil (original suggestion: soy oil, I normally use sunflower)
1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar (I typically use vinegar)
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 teaspoon of pear syrup (honestly, I think you can leave that one out)
1 small boiled potato (this is the game changer :D)
optional: 1 clove of garlic (but I definitely suggest to add this)

Blend the soymilk with 100 ml of the oil for about one minute on high setting in your food processor.

Slowly add the remainder of oil while the blender is still running on medium/low setting. Add the remaining ingredients and blend together. The starch of the potato is very important to create the creamy consistency.

Add a clove of garlic for stronger taste (I definitely suggest that!). Cool in the fridge for about 2 hours.

The pear syrup is the one thing that I think you can omit, or possibly replace with something else (e.g. agave/maple syrup?).

You can make it yourself by putting a pear into a small saucepan with some suger and water and let it simmer at medium temperature for a while.

Best regards,
Andy

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
Didn't you spray them with oil before baking them ? That's what I always do. Yes, fried or baked/oiled food always tastes better.o_O
I did just a bit but it’s not like when you really try them in oil. I can eat them fresh from the frying pan when I fry them. Plus my oil spritzer no longer sprays...it shoots out in a stream. I remember some of the negative reviews saying that but there were so many positive ones I figured I’d try it. It worked great for a few months but now it’s not so good.

• Friendly
The one I make is quite thick. However, I have a very high speed blender ; a Ninja.
I'm wondering whether an immersion blender would work. My regular blender isn't very good. I really need to invest in a good one.

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
Honestly, the first jar I bought of Hellmans was fine--we didn't like it as much as Just Mayo, but it tasted "normal". I recently got another jar and it not only tastes like plastic, but looks odd, like super white and just odd.

Anyway, I remembered a recipe AndyT posted and found it, so I added it to the recipe section.
I may try it today since I'll open a plain soy milk --

Ingredients:

250 ml soymilk
200 ml vegetable oil (original suggestion: soy oil, I normally use sunflower)
1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar (I typically use vinegar)
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 teaspoon of pear syrup (honestly, I think you can leave that one out)
1 small boiled potato (this is the game changer :D)
optional: 1 clove of garlic (but I definitely suggest to add this)

Blend the soymilk with 100 ml of the oil for about one minute on high setting in your food processor.

Slowly add the remainder of oil while the blender is still running on medium/low setting. Add the remaining ingredients and blend together. The starch of the potato is very important to create the creamy consistency.

Add a clove of garlic for stronger taste (I definitely suggest that!). Cool in the fridge for about 2 hours.

The pear syrup is the one thing that I think you can omit, or possibly replace with something else (e.g. agave/maple syrup?).

You can make it yourself by putting a pear into a small saucepan with some suger and water and let it simmer at medium temperature for a while.

Best regards,
Andy
Thanks for this! I don't think I have any soy milk left, but I have lots of almond milk. I'm not sure that would work as well because it's thinner than soy milk. I might try to make some after I finish the Hellman's.

I'm wondering whether an immersion blender would work. My regular blender isn't very good. I really need to invest in a good one.
YES! I first used a food processor, which worked well, but I didn't how oily it got. I then got an immersion blender and used a tall narrow bowl and it worked great, and easier to see how thick it was getting

I don't think other non dairy milks have the right kind of protein to emulsify well (or something about emulsifying)

The first time I made vegan mayo I used sweetened soy milk and it made the most wonderful waldorf salad dressing! My grandmother used to make that with mayo and I think cool whip? Or creme cheese? It was something sweet added

• Informative
Reactions: Val and PTree15
I did just a bit but it’s not like when you really try them in oil. I can eat them fresh from the frying pan when I fry them. Plus my oil spritzer no longer sprays...it shoots out in a stream. I remember some of the negative reviews saying that but there were so many positive ones I figured I’d try it. It worked great for a few months but now it’s not so good.

I buy oil spray from a supermarket. I use it every day for frying and airy frying.

Reactions: Val
I buy oil spray from a supermarket. I use it every day for frying and airy frying.
Is that like Pam? I didn’t think of using that as I assumed it wasn’t that good for you. If you know differently please let me know! 😊
9DBDA8D3-E61A-46DA-AC77-BF451B4DED6D.png

I'm weird indeed: my regular blender was good, but i did the opposite thing: i "invested" it in David, a.k.a. gave it away to Liza. And i didn't regret: they're using it every day, here, at the country. David needs this blender more than i do, and it's a very decent one. I decided that while i can chew things with my jaws, i will chew.😆

• Informative