Want to buy a non-american vegetarian diabetic cook book

The coffee was better than expected. Stevia is not bad. As you say , not good either. But not bad. It is definitely not as potent as the box claims, which I fully expected to be the case. I take 1/3-1/2 TSP of sugar in coffee, and chucked in a whole packet of stevia (supposedly 1tsp sugar equivalent) and it was not much different. It was like if I use cheap shitty white sugar instead of brown cane sugar like I usually do.

OK, well, you are learning as you go along.

BTW, you should feel lucky you don't live in the US. Because US food companies put all kinds of hellacious artifical chemical crap sweeteners in their foods and beverages. Stuff they probably don't allow in the UK.

Reactions: FreakyFreekeh
Next up : less ridiculously priced but still costly organic palm sugar. Certainly not as good for diabetics as stevia but it probably doesn't have this weird aftertaste and the packaging doesn't say anything about it maybe giving me liquid bum. Figured I may as well try it, as the same shop was selling this too and I figured I should have a backup plan for if stevia was a bit horrible.

I ran out of my nice sugar a week ago and was using the cheap crappy white sugar I got for my boyfriend's drinks (he prefers it D-:) instead, so organic palm sugar seems like a good replacement.

So, I shall go now to make more exceedingly posh coffee this time with palm sugar as I have this weird taste in my mouth, kind of very mildly bitter, and want something sweet to get rid of it. :p

There is a surprisingly huge quantity of artificial crap in UK food products too, the whole world seems obsessed with cramming chemicals in.

I was thinking though that I am happy to not have to be diabetic in america because of the crazy high amounts of fat and sugar most Americans seem to want in their food products compared to other countries. I didn't realise artificial sweeteners were a heavy load in america too until you said , but you are quite right. :-0

I do think though, that say I was having coffee along with something . like say fruit or a meal or anything really, the dodgy aftertaste really is mild so it wouldn't be too persistent then. I just enjoyed a wholegrain veggie sausage roll (from the same unconventional food shop) and the sketchy bitter taste is all gone now.

I was thinking though that I am happy to not have to be diabetic in america because of the crazy high amounts of fat and sugar most Americans seem to want in their food products compared to other countries.

That's only a problem if one doesn't cook and bake for oneself. (Or if one eats out all the time.)

I've always preferred to do my own cooking and baking. It's more economical and tastes better.

I assume you're looking at dessert recipes if you're running into sugar being in the recipes? There are very few savory recipes (other than sweet potato casseroles and baked beans) where I've encountered sugar or another sweetener being an ingredient.

Oh, and I've never used a sweetener of any kind in coffee or tea. That seems to be more an English thing than an American one (other than the noxiously sweet iced tea that's served in the American South).

Yes, dessert recipes.
I thought it might have sugar free recipes for raw food bars, and clever cakes based on naturally sweet things like fruit or nuts... I dunno, that sort of thing.

Sugar (and milk) in coffee and tea is very common throughout Wales, Ireland, Scotland and England.

I saw a show recently, it was about green tea. Apparently most Americans who go to Japan are astonished by green tea, which is typically served in Japan without anything added. They said that Americans tend to be more accustomed to sugar laden green tea, as this is sold in America in cans!? I have never encountered such a thing.

You may not be interested in doing this, but I believe Betty Crocker sells software where if you input the recipe in "American" units, you can push a button and instantly convert it to metric units (or vice versa). There may be other kinds of recipe software that do the same things.

I feel I need to retract these statements. Sorry.

First, I found an unopened copy of the software. It is MasterCook featuring Betty Crocker recipies. So yes it does have "Betty Crocker" in big letters several times on the box, but it is actually MasterCook. I read all the packaging, and while it does many things, it said nothing about converting to and from metric units. It is possible that the software can do this but they just do not mention this feature on the box. But that just seems very, very unlikely.

I also did a Google search for recipe software that convert measuring units to metric. I got several hits, but MasterCook was not mentioned.

Xylitol is supposed to be suitable for diabetics. I am not diabetic, I use Xylitol to clean my teeth. It states on the packet that I have that Xylitol can be used in cooking exactly as sugar.