Vegetarian > Omnivore > Vegan

Dale Howey

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Omnivore
I practiced vegetarianism for 4 or 5 years and had no problems with the lifestyle at all but due to personal problems I had to move back in with my parents who simply could not afford to pay for vegetarian and omnivorous diets and I was out of work at the time so I either ate meat or starved.

I have now moved out and have the opportunity to change my diet and be happy again although I feel it would be more appropriate to follow a vegan lifestyle.

The main reason I am writing here is to ask for advice. I want to know what the staples for a general vegan diet are I see a lot of lists on the Internet but I am really not interested in sweet foods and I am not sure which seeds and grains are just for savoury etc.

Would really appreciate some help guys and gals!

Edit: I'd like to take this opportunity to say hi to everyone as well :)

Last edited:

bratvada

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Keep it carb baby. Eat lots of potatoes, rice, starches. They fill you up and you can base meals around them.

John McDougall among others promotes this diet - he has a book 'The starch solution'. You can also find him on youtube.

• 👍
Reactions: winter.frost

Dale Howey

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Omnivore
Had a full day of vegan foods today and I feel full and happy. I love the taste of spices and herbs, especially cumin, if I flavour things the way I like I find that I'm not even really missing the meaty chunks.

Just made myself a Mexican stew/soup, God knows what it was but it was nice :) Oh I also just discovered chia and oat crisp breads... so tasty!

Thanks bratvada I'll have a look :)

Last edited:

Dale Howey

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Omnivore
Day 3 and all is well :) I have bacon in the fridge still that I haven't been tempted to eat and have donated it to my roommate!

Never thought of putting walnuts in a salad before but I have the tastiest lunch for at work :)

• 👍
Reactions: Damo

Damo

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll notice that the longer you avoid eating meat/dairy the more it'll start to gross you out when you see and smell it... Well at least that happened with myself ;)

Enjoy your salad :D

• 👍
Reactions: Dale Howey

Dale Howey

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Omnivore
Yea I found that when I was vegetarian, I literally had to force myself to eat meat after a few beers to get around it when the time came :/

Dale Howey

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Omnivore
I've got to say I feel happier and healthier already, I don't know if it's placebo or not but I'll roll with it :)

W

winter.frost

Never thought of putting walnuts in a salad before but I have the tastiest lunch for at work :)
Try toasting them first! It really takes it to another level. I had toasted walnuts for the first time last week and I swear I'll never look back. ;)

You might also find this resource helpful: http://veganhealth.org/

Dale Howey

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Omnivore
Ooooh I will have to try that!

I went a bit cheap and bought Tesco's own brand Soy Mince instead of Quorn which I know I like and regretted that today... Worst part about it is I'm in work for 3 days straight (I sleep at work also so no time to make food between shifts) and I made food to last me the weekend with it...

Apart from that I'm still going strong! :D