Not transitioning well, help!

Hello VeggieSara,

Dr. Will Bulsiewicz is a gastroenterologist who went vegan after pouring over the latest research about gut health. One of the most useful things he had to say is that changing your diet is like starting off with lifting weights. You start off small, do regular small increments, and wait until you can handle what you have before increasing again. Your gut and gut bacteria need TIME to adjust to new kinds of food. Dr. Bulsiewicz recommends starting off with a teaspoon ( not a typo ) of a problematic and increasing it by a teaspoon every 3 days. If you reach discomfort, as you might lifting weights, you either stay at that level for a while, or back up a bit until the discomfort goes away before moving forward again.

There are "lower gas" legumes and you can prepare legumes to reduce the gas producing chemicals in them:

Dr. Will Bulsiewicz is a gastroenterologist who went vegan after pouring over the latest research about gut health.
I'm only peripherally aware of Bulsiewicz. I haven't ever read any of his books or seen any of his videos. even so, I'm pretty sure he is legitimate. I wonder if that advice you repeated needs some context. Perhaps it's meant for people with serious medical issues. It sounds a lot like the regimen they have kids do to get over food alergies.

I did some mental math and following that regmen it would take you something like a month to get up to a tablespoon. Three months to get up to a quarter of a cup.

From the testimonials I've heard most transitioning vegan take less than a month.

Reactions: Emma JC
I'm only peripherally aware of Bulsiewicz. I haven't ever read any of his books or seen any of his videos.

He has two main books:
1. Fiber Fueled
2. Fiber Fueled Kitchen.
Both books have significant information in them. The first is all information, the second is information plus advice on how to resolve gut health issues.
I read the second book. The quoted advice is for people having trouble digesting particular types of food and food intolerances. OP said they were getting so bloated they couldn't close their pants.
I did some mental math and following that regmen it would take you something like a month to get up to a tablespoon.

3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon. It would take 9 days to get to a tablespoon.

Reactions: Lou
He has two main books:
1. Fiber Fueled
2. Fiber Fueled Kitchen.
Both books have significant information in them. The first is all information, the second is information plus advice on how to resolve gut health issues.
I read the second book. The quoted advice is for people having trouble digesting particular types of food and food intolerances. OP said they were getting so bloated they couldn't close their pants.

3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon. It would take 9 days to get to a tablespoon.
...and an ounce is = to 2 Tblsp , so, 4 Tblsp - 1/4 cup= 36 days
Probably is really important to go slow and feed your biome well

I've heard lots of good from Fiber Fueled!

...and an ounce is = to 2 Tblsp , so, 4 Tblsp - 1/4 cup= 36 days
Probably is really important to go slow and feed your biome well

I've heard lots of good from Fiber Fueled!

That is what the 1 tsp per day scheme is about. Dr. B states that the research shows that the microbiome starts changing within hours of being exposed to different foods, but for someone with a severe problem like OP it takes time.

This short video is by an M.D. who has references for her tips for reducing flatulence.
One of the tips is to transition slowly. She quoted a study stating that subjects starting off with 1/2 cup of legumes a day saw a decrease in flatulence between 3 - 6 weeks.

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
Please read my signature.

My advice is that you listen to Lou. His patient and friendly spirit helped with my transition to becoming a vegan.

I would suggest that you take the transition slowly. You could just cut out the blatantly unhealthy animal products. Even a 50% reduction in the consumption in animal products is a great accomplishment.

Kudo's for trying.
--First of all, the human body needs raw enzymes to help digest food. Raw salads and other raw food with your meals are essential.
--Second, there is a chemical called GLYPHOSATE used in many non-organic crop foods today. It has even been found in
some organic crops. Monsanto has been sued for putting many nasty things in their weed killers, etcetera. according to
many studies, Glyphosate causes severe digestive problems, bloating, and many other health problems, etcetera. My suggestion is to
consume only ORGANIC food as much as possible. Glyphosate is rife in beansm grains, and potatoes. (see article below)
--Third, our gut must have good bacteria in it. Raw vegetables and fruits help to increase our healthy gut bacteria and digestion.
Probiotics do also help our gut to digest our foods (as do raw enzymes/digestive enzymes).
--Fourth, are you eating canned beans? or soaking your own dry beans for 8-12 hours, rinsing, and then cooking your own
beans?. See if soaking your own friom scratch helps and eating beans with a rew salad.
--Fifth, I believe that proper food combining does help our digestion. Fruit and nuts and beans digest at different rates. If you mix
fruit and beans, for instance, you easily mess up your digestion. Look at food combining charts to learn.
--Lastly, you might get a blood workup from a qualified nutritionist who can also test you for specific food allergies.

Reactions: Rohan
--Second, there is a chemical called GLYPHOSATE used in many non-organic crop foods today. It has even been found in
some organic crops. Monsanto has been sued for putting many nasty things in their weed killers, etcetera. according to
many studies, Glyphosate causes severe digestive problems, bloating, and many other health problems, etcetera.

100% ... Glyphosate is absolutely horrendous. It just kills everything. I've attached a pic of a 'glyphosated' field near us where you can clearly see the point at which the farmer's sprayer stopped. On the right, the field is totally dead. Zero biodiversity.

... and here's just one of those many studies:
Low-dose glyphosate exposure alters gut microbiota composition and modulates gut homeostasis

Attachments

• glyphosate.jpg
    glyphosate.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3