Vegan for five years and considering eggs

Get more fats in you, more calories, more protein. Why not more vegan junk. Eating "healthy" might not be that healthy in some cases and you are missing on stuff obviously, otherwise you wouldn't crave animal products. I am type 0 as well and I did well on animal products but thriving as a vegan. Use cronometer to track all nutrients.

Just remember, for every chicken you buy, they have to kill one rooster.
True if you’re buying chicks from a hatchery. But it’s easy to find chickens who are two or three years old - past their prime for typical egg production farms, but still have lots of good years ahead of them in a backyard setting.

This is not correct, @Meyersaurus - chickens naturally lay only 10-12 eggs per year.

Here is an article that explains it well...

https://freefromharm.org/eggs-what-are-you-really-eating/

Emma JC

Yes, I guess they have been genetically manipulated so that their "production" increases, but I assumed that the number of eggs will only decrease (back to the natural amount) over time and generations that are not drilled to lay as many eggs as possible. I will read the article though, thanks for sharing.

True if you’re buying chicks from a hatchery. But it’s easy to find chickens who are two or three years old - past their prime for typical egg production farms, but still have lots of good years ahead of them in a backyard setting.

So your idea is to let hatcheries bring chickens in to existence, kill the males, then abuse the females in factory egg production so you can "rescue" them and continue to use them? "Rescue" should not be approached from a commodity angle as you are just simply supporting the industry. That's like people saying eating road kill is fine, so you go out and actively try to drive over animals so you can get road kill to eat... Or like that time a bounty was put on a "pest" animal, so people just started breeding that animal so they could "help eliminate the pest animal". That one ended up with an even larger population of the "pest" animal due to the breeding...

Reactions: Andy_T
Yes, I guess they have been genetically manipulated so that their "production" increases, but I assumed that the number of eggs will only decrease (back to the natural amount) over time and generations that are not drilled to lay as many eggs as possible. I will read the article though, thanks for sharing.
I think you’re right. Our chickens are free range- they’re free to roost in trees and nest wherever they like. Most lay eggs in their nesting boxes, and roost in their coop, but not always. We had one that decided to live in the woods for months. We tried bringing her home but she’d always take off again. One day she returned to the flock and has been here ever since. Our chickens typically lay an egg a day in the spring, start to slow down over summer and don’t lay at all from October through December. Usually around Christmas they start laying again, a few eggs a week until spring when they return to laying daily. I think our chickens have about as much freedom as possible, but we’ve never had chickens only lay a few times a year. Even into old age they generally keep to the same schedule.

So your idea is to let hatcheries bring chickens in to existence, kill the males, then abuse the females in factory egg production so you can "rescue" them and continue to use them? "Rescue" should not be approached from a commodity angle as you are just simply supporting the industry. That's like people saying eating road kill is fine, so you go out and actively try to drive over animals so you can get road kill to eat... Or like that time a bounty was put on a "pest" animal, so people just started breeding that animal so they could "help eliminate the pest animal". That one ended up with an even larger population of the "pest" animal due to the breeding...
I don’t think me rescuing a few chickens a year is going to perpetuate the industry. For the few chickens I save I make a difference in their lives. In fact, I think I’m making a slightly larger difference than just those few lives, since I’ve introduced a lot of people to the idea of buying local, free range eggs rather than store bought eggs. We always have plenty of extra eggs that I never sell, but give away to people who would typically buy grocery store eggs.

Firstly stop going to Doctors! Take your health into your own hands - you know yourself better than anyone else!
Secondly eating animal poducts cures nothing and in fact causes most of our illnesses. So this is not the solution!
We can ALL thrive on Plants! But this does require some thought and effort for optimum Health and Well-being.
Perform a factory reset! You almost certainly need to Fast and Detox - as we all should do sometimes.
I strongly recommend that you research a raw plant based regime and do not consume refined sugar, gluten, coffee, alcohol, ect. Avoid processed foods!
Look up DR.Robert Morse on Utube and you will probably find some info on your problems that are no doubt all related to a compromised lymphatic system - as most health issues are!
There are various people you can consult for advice eg. Mark James Gordon who is a DR. Morse trained Iridologist.
My only relationship with the above are through consulting them for advice for my own health issues which I am currently dealing with. Consequently this is not meant to be medical advice and you should always consult a qualified proffessional. Good Luck!

Hi Booney, and welcome to the forum.

Definitely. Properly-planned plant-based diets can be effective for preventing and treating cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes. The American Heart Association and the American Heart Association both acknowledge this.

(Are you sure you want to discourage people from going to the doctor? Certain health conditions do require medical intervention.)

Dr. Robert Morse - a very inspiring person! However, some of his claims are very unlikely to be true. In one of his videos, he claims that a raw vegan diet cured a patient of AIDS. Unfortunately, there are no peer-reviewed studies to substantiate such a claim. Frankly, it's medically irresponsible for him to make such a claim.

Please consider that wild cattle and giraffe are 100% raw vegan, yet they still suffer from infectious diseases: https://www.oie.int/doc/ged/D8369.PDF

Also, please consider that gorillas are almost entirely raw vegan (What do gorillas eat? And other gorilla facts | WWF), yet they also suffer from infectious disease (Human Metapneumovirus Infection in Wild Mountain Gorillas, Rwanda ).

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
So as the title suggests, I went vegan when I was 15 and am now vegan, and it changed my life, became my identity. I am vegan for all the reasons, for the environment, for my health and most importantly for the animals. I pride myself so heavily on this and veganism is so important to me. Almost like a religion.

But I've been pushing down my health problems for some time now. luckily my hair stopped falling out when I added more and more protein into my diet. But I'm dizzy all the time, and lately, it's been the fatigue too. I am type O blood, which means that my body needs the most "animal products" out of any type to function. I've been anemic for most of the time I've been vegan, other when I've had high doses of iron prescribed by a doctor but that isn't always doable. There's just so much brain fog and anxiety and jitters and it would be so great if this wasn't related to veganism, but I've been to so so so many doctors in the last two years hoping to find the overall answer. No matter how healthy I eat, I feel like I am missing something, and worry about what long term damage I may have done on my body.

So eggs have popped into my head for a while now. But I am a STRICT vegan. I am highly educated on animal industries and will know the answer to any stupid question a non-vegan has to ask, and I care so deeply about the honey bees and chickens and everything involved. Not to mention that my body feels pure, adding an animal product into my body seems like contaminating it. And I don't even kill mosquitos!!! I truly am that hippy-dippy save everything kinda person.

I'm terrified, but I'm considering going to a farmer's shop or market, finding their eggs and telling them my story and ask about all the conditions of the chickens, because I will never support the horrific egg industry. I will not be the cause of all those male baby chicks being ground up, I just want to take them home.

I'm scared of losing this identity like it will make me a fraud. I love every vegan birthday I have and that I can say that I've been vegan for five years. And I kind of think that if the only eggs I ever eat are as ethical as they can be, I don't think that stops me from being vegan. My vegan culture is the strongest culture I really have.

I think I really just needed to get this off my chest and would love some insight, this is the hardest choice I've had to make and I'm still not sure about it. But I'm studying abroad and I want to absorb as much knowledge as I can, but my brain just isn't functioning properly.

Have you been to a doctor that can check your hormone levels and your thyroid? These symptoms might not have anything to do with your diet.

• Agree
Have you been to a doctor that can check your hormone levels and your thyroid? These symptoms might not have anything to do with your diet.
They'd would have to be eating a very deficient diet for sure!
It pains me that people who say they're so very vegan, and it means everything to them, will succumb to blaming the plant based aspect of it when they don't do well, rather then seeing a doctor like anyone not focused on their label. It's hard not to think they're looking for a way to get out of being vegan, as so many have.
The blood type has been so completely debunked.
They haven't been back for any further discussion. I wonder.

body needs the most "animal products" out of any typ
For starters, IIIIII would like to see a source for that, because literally who told you that? In what world does blood type determine whether or not you "need" more animal products? Id say its pretty arguable that any human Needs animal products outside of medical conditions. Im also type O and really experienced no such thing.

That being said, you loosing your hair worries me! Even if adding protein helped with that issue, the fact that that even happened is kind of a red flag. The first thing that comes to mind is calorie restriction to me (though I want to point out i am Not a Doctor). Its pretty easy to underestimate the amount of calories in plant based food, especially if youre substituting things like pasta for veggie pasta (Like zoodles or something). And making sure you're getting enough food and enough of the foods you need is really important.
I like using Cronometer to make sure im getting all the nutrients from my diet, so that might help if youre concerned about not getting enough vital nutrients from your food. Realistically, unless you have a medical situation or alergies that prevent you from eating a wide range of food, you should be able to get enough nutrition from plants to thrive. If not, a nutritionist is not a bad idea and, baring that, seeing a doctor never hurts (though be aware most GP's have little training in nutrition).

In terms of choosing to eat eggs, thats up to you. Do I think its a good idea, no, but this is a vegan forum so obviously. At the end of the day you do what you gotta do. Id also say dont make veganism your whole identity. Yes Its a good cause and there is nothing wrong with being proud of being passionate about your movement. But basing your entire sense of self on one identifier, trait, or interest tends can be a sticky sitaution. I think a lot of us go through that from time to time, but you're a whole person, not just your value system.

There are a lot of people who say going plant based caused hair loss.
I've always had thick hair which didn't change changing diets of any type whether junk food omnivore, healthy vegetarian, wfpb, or junk food vegan.
I know soooo many people, many women in particular since they're typically the ones questioning this, with fine thin and thinning, hair. My mother had awful hair. Very fine and very little. She was never a vegetarian. I can't help but wonder if many are simply progressions of what had already been started genetically

There are a lot of people who say going plant based caused hair loss.
I've always had thick hair which didn't change changing diets of any type whether junk food omnivore, healthy vegetarian, wfpb, or junk food vegan.
I know soooo many people, many women in particular since they're typically the ones questioning this, with fine thin and thinning, hair. My mother had awful hair. Very fine and very little. She was never a vegetarian. I can't help but wonder if many are simply progressions of what had already been started genetically

Although this is anecdotal, I've been a vegan for almost 30 years, and I have more hair than any other 50-ish guy in my office.

Hair loss is a symptom of gross malnutrition or calorie-starvation.

My ex-bf had his own chicken and ducks. They were his pets, his babies. I know, I lived with him for a month, with him and his ducks and chickens and three cats. He ate a lot of vegan meals, and a lot of his own companion animals' eggs. He collected their eggs in the morning. He told me if I took one, to crack it in a glass first to make sure it wasn't nasty, and throw it back to them if it was. He fed them back their shells, like vegans complain about chickies not being able to eat their own egg shells, and he also fed them ANYTHING else...compost basically. He had plum trees and told me to throw my fruit cores to the chickens and ducks. He fed them left over scraps of tomatoes and greens from the co-op. They ran free. He lives in the more rural part of the county. and the chickens and ducks went all over the yard, down to the creek, up on two different porches, they were "free range" and he fed them chicky feed plus pretty much all egg shells and compost. He also didn't take more eggs than he needed. He left some of the eggs for the chicks if he knew he couldn't eat them.

I am not sharing this to be argumentative or to be defiant, but because I have actually lived in rural environments, meeting everyone from cattle farmers to my ex-bf and his ducks and chickens, and I genuinely think eating eggs CAN be ethical. There's no taking away of babies, depriving them of milk, starving out the moms, there's nothing like that if you have baby ducks or chickens. My friend from high school does the same thing. She's a libertarian, and her husband and they raised their two kids vegetarian only with eggs from their pet chickens. The chickens are her babies, she mourns them when they die, their family doesn't eat them, even if they die a natural death, they send them back to the Earth.

I am vegan and I believe in the power of veganism. I became a vegan while living a modern urban life. I am also a pragmatist and a realist. I rated as "pragmatist" way back as a young girl during my first years of college when I thought I wanted to be a public school teacher. Switching to a science degree only deepened that pragmatic, utilitarian bent with age. I think it does a disservice to everyone to lie. I don't like people who lie or exaggerate, unless they're doing it unknowingly, or for humor's sake. If someone is a vegetarian, having companion birds is probably the most ethical way to do it, I have personally witnessed it.

I mean, tell me what you'll do if the entire economy shuts down. What if we are all stranded after this in small groups of local self-reliants. You can't eat vegan products then. But like people in ancient China you can eat a mostly vegan diet with occasional eggs from chickens. If you say you would rather die, I invite you to expose yourself to people sick with coronavirus and avoid further medical care.

Especially for women, and ESPECIALLY if you experience a stop in your menstrual cycle.

I have been vegan for five years and I have never lost my menstrual cycle or become too thin. This is a myth perpetuated by people who do "raw" veganism or similar starvation diets. I'm quite a strong peasant lady for a vegan woman. I can haul an assload of groceries for at least a mile.

I honestly gained weight on a vegan diet at first because I lived on that good good junk food haha. But yea, loosing hair and menstrual cycle tends to be a sign of calorie restriction, which sadly a lot of people do when they go on crash diets, even vegan ones.

I mean, tell me what you'll do if the entire economy shuts down. What if we are all stranded after this in small groups of local self-reliants.

I mean, in terms of what do we do if the entire economy goes down? That A) Its not what they were asking about, B) this isnt the apocalypse we wont be living in a mad max movie when we get out of shelter in place, C) Id eat my landlord first. (A joke)

And kudos to your ex in terms of being able to have chickens as pets, but you gotta be real here. Unless OP owns chickens, there is really no way to know the way the chicken who produced the egg at the farmers market is treating their chickens. 99.9% of egg producers dont see their chickens as pets and have no qualms with culling male chicks and killing hens that cant produce. And food labeling of free range or cage free labeling and so on doesnt really mean anything in terms of quality of life. So, unless OP is gonna start keeping chickens just to eat the excess eggs and Only those excess eggs, then keep those hens until they pass from old age the ethics are questionable.

Like, my parents neighbors had chickens (and started a hillarious feud between them and my parents over them) and the way that they had gotten as pets and for eggs. They DYI'ed their shed into this huge chicken coop, gave them lots of outside time to peck at their lawn for bugs and roam. They even modified an old soccer goal on its side and put wheels up so that they could let the young chicks peck and graze all around the yard without them running away. It seemed like a paradice for these birds. And I adored these babies and fed them meal worms (I had a pet gecko who was picky as hell) and you would think these were the most ethical eggs in existence. I did, she even asked if I wanted to keep a few of the extra chicks (def to **** my parents off in their feud but I LOVE birds). But one day one of the hens was gone and I found out that because she had slowed down in laying eggs they can killed her and were going to eat her. These were their pet, ifsomeone did that to their parrot people would loose their mind. So...yea, even what you think are good sources can have dark sides sadly. I still like my parents neighbors and dont think their inherently bad people of course, but it makes me sad. So unless OP can get their own birds and live by their own values, its hard.