• No

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

zach

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I just became vegan a few weeks ago and my family has gifted me many sweets containing milk. Is it okay for me to eat it?
If the animal has already suffered and the dairy industry has already got their money, what good will it do to throw away the candy bar? I would love to hear some other vegans views on this.

Hello there,

You could always give the sweets away, eat what you can't give away. Throwing them in the bin isn't exactly environmentally friendly... I think we throw away enough food. Obviously it's probably a good idea to tell your friends and family you're wanting to go vegan.

My older brother gifted me some milk-based chocolates for Christmas: I am not sure how up-to-date he is on my recent vegan switch, but I forgive him for any mistakes as he's based in Vancouver and can't be expected to be on track with everything going on back in the UK!
I thanked him just the same: he doesn't need to know I won't be eating his gift, but living in a house full of meat-eaters as I do, they won't be wasted.

I would give it away. The logic of "the animal has already suffered" doesn't work for me as I like to think that those sweets will stop someone from buying more and reduce demand in a tiny way :)

Reactions: veganwoman
I just became vegan a few weeks ago and my family has gifted me many sweets containing milk. Is it okay for me to eat it?
If the animal has already suffered and the dairy industry has already got their money, what good will it do to throw away the candy bar? I would love to hear some other vegans views on this.

The good of throwing it away and letting your family know means they are not likely to support the animal industry next time by purchasing or otherwise preparing a gift that contains animal products. If you resist the temptation of consuming them and going for a vegan alternative you will help strengthen your veganism.

If you haven't informed them it may be time to do so. In this way you can avoid being made to feel guilty for rejection of such gifts on both their behalf and behalf of the animals.

Sorry I’m late... but I would’ve given them to charity or to friends. This year, please ask them to check the ingredients first before giving them to you. :)

Reactions: Forest Nymph
When people insist I take gift candy, unless I'm homeless and starving to death, I give that candy away to other people. I usually don't give it to friends though, I don't wanting them thinking I'm okay with them eating dairy, usually I'd literally go give it to an interfaith temple or church or mosque, or hand it to someone who looked really lost or desperate on the street who I'd never burden with evangelism.

I've decided I don't like gifting milk chocolate (or egg drop soup) to anyone privileged enough to purchase their own meals.