Transitioning... food tips?

NetBoy404

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello, I have been wanting to go Vegan for a long time now. I'm finally starting to put things in motion but I keep running into the same hurdle. I want to find some food item(s) that I can buy in bulk, I need something that doesn't take long to cook but will be enough to cover all the calories and nutrition that my body requires.

I'm not worried about animal product substitutes, I have no desire for those.

The reason I'm looking for something like this is because my job is very random and requires me to get ready at a moments notice, that's why I usually just eat fast food. I want to change that so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

You could do something like potatoes and/or yams. I bake a few at a time for the same reason as you are wanting, convenience. I need something I can just nuke or eat cold in a pinch, and that works for me. I like these a lot as they're high in carbs and give me great energy throughout the day.

Sushi rice cooks fast and can last a couple days. I find making veggie rolls fairly easy. I'd also suggest cooking in advance, which I think many vegans do. For example, I will made 3-4 days worth of oatmeal, which reconstitutes well in the nuker. Soups, stews, and chili are great for a few days in the fridge or even can be frozen in portion sized containers. Make hearty meals like that with lots of beans that will last a few days in the fridge.

With rice and beans I make enough so that I can use the leftovers to make tacos or something different the next day. Great in a stuffed pepper or any or sort of wrap.

At the end of the day you really need to think about why you are going vegan. Is it for ethical reasons? Perhaps for your health? My point here is that if it's for your health, bad vegan foods won't be an option. I just mean the vegan convenience foods that are already processed. I would however make an exception for tofu. It does take a bit of planning in advance for someone busy, like yourself, but it is totally doable.

I tend to snack with healthy veggies, etc, during the days that I'm busy. I sort of graze on fruits and veggies until I am able to make a meal, or I go for take-out. Sushi and Thai food is my main go-to for take-out. Most Chinese places will have something vegan if you ask.

Your best resources will be your own research on the subject. The more you dig, the more you learn, and the more you will be motivated and inspired. YouTube is a great resource for me. I did a quick search for you: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fast+vegan+meals
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fast+vegan+meals
Don't forget your B12 and some ground flax in your diet.