TV & Film The TV Room

I started watching "The Old Man". It is a FX show that I watched on Hulu. I finished season one and there will be a season 2 eventually. It stars Jeff Bridges, John Lithgow, and Amy Breneman. Bridges is a former CIA black ops guy and Lithgow was his boss. 30 years ago in Afghanistan they did some not so legit stuff and it is now coming back to get them. Very intense, violent and intriguing.
My husband mentioned that was meant to be good.

Paper Girls also keeps coming up when I go on Amazon Prime.

I finished it too. Really really liked it.

I've seen some bad reviews but for the most part every one likes it

One commenter felt it was too unbelievable.
What did he consider the most fantastical plot point?
That kids still delivered papers on their bikes in the late 80s.

Another commenter said it was too much like Stranger Things, kid on bikes in the 80s. Oh, C'mon. They were kids on bikes in the 80s for not even a whole episode.

The cast was very diverse. (except they were mostly girls). but the diversity was totally not forced. And the different ehnicities and stuff were pretty much necessary to the story.

Does anyone know what kind of stick KJ had? I'm guessing it was a field hockey stick.

I also liked how the writers mixed the mundane with the fantastical.
For instance the girls kept their head in battle but were flummoxed
by a box of tampons.

Reactions: Raven and Emma JC
I've read reviews saying that Paper Girls is meant to be even better than Stranger Things. I'm going to watch the first episode tonight with my husband.

Reactions: Chryssie
I just watched the first Paper Girls. It is good. I will watch another one tomorrow as I wanted to watch the end of the football match on TV tonight.

I keep reading about the Pretty Little Liars reboot. I only watched a few episodes of the original as it got very silly very quickly, but I read this reboot was meant to be watchable. I am not sure what the whole first show was even about, though, so I might have to go back and read what happened before I thought about watching the new one.:confused:

I haven’t watched tv in weeks due to listening to audiobooks. I basically missed most of Christmas in July. I would only put a movie on at bedtime and I usually fall asleep within 20 minutes. Plus they played a lot of movies that I really didn’t like.

Reactions: Emma JC
I find for bedtime, I like to listen to an audio book of a book I've already read. that way when I wake up I don't have to try to figure out exactly where I left off.

Oh! The Bomber Mafia by Gladwell is excellent. Gladwell, from its inception, created it to be an audio book. Whenever possible when he quotes someone he just uses a recording that he found of that guy. And he uses a lot of other original sourced audio.

And there is website that has the pictures

I find for bedtime, I like to listen to an audio book of a book I've already read. that way when I wake up I don't have to try to figure out exactly where I left off.
Yes!

• Love
Reactions: Lou
We just finished Paper Girls. I did really enjoy it all the way through.

I keep reading about The Sandman too. I read though if you haven't read the comics you might find it difficult to follow.

I started watching another new Hulu series called "Reservation Dogs." It is a comedy/drama (though more serious than funny) about a group of Native American teens in a small village in Oklahoma. The show is totally produced by Native Americans. The actors are all Native American, with a few white people in it as well. It has a bunch of quirky characters, a great soundtrack, and good story. I like it!

I started watching another new Hulu series called "Reservation Dogs." It is a comedy/drama (though more serious than funny) about a group of Native American teens in a small village in Oklahoma. The show is totally produced by Native Americans. The actors are all Native American, with a few white people in it as well. It has a bunch of quirky characters, a great soundtrack, and good story. I like it!
I'll have to check that while I still have hulu
Now I have Prime--don't even know why, I had canceled after the one week I paid for, and think I'll keep it--I also watched the first Paper Girls and did like it.I had to use closed captions. I think I should get a new tv

• Friendly
Just finished watching the Netflix series, Unbelievable which is based on a true story. I really enjoyed it as it was brilliantly
directed with some great acting and also quite a lot of suspense:

I watched that last year on Netflix. My sister recommended it to me. and I didn't think it was "my kind" of movie. but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Everything about it was masterful.

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas and Emma JC