TV & Film The TV Room

I keep reading about 3 Body Problem. Has anyone here seen it?

I read the first book ( I think there are three). I didn't like it that much. I read it because a lot of SF fans loved it. It even won a Hugo. So maybe there is something wrong with me.

First off I didn't think it was well written. If I remember right the author is Chinese and what I read was a translation. So it could be that something was lost in translation.

There may also have been a loss in the cultural divide. I didn't like the characters and the story lost me in several places. I also found some of the "science" to be unbelievable. Although, I admit, that is not really a fair criticism of any SF book

I'm tempted to watch the TV series. It's possible they corrected all the things I didn't like about the book but I (like you) am waiting for a personal recommendation.

my honey has been watching it and so I have been also, by default, although I have ignored most of it as it doesn't appeal to me - he seems to be enjoying it because he loves anything space related - I read while he watches

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I watched this documentary last night about the first Norwegian woman Randi Skaug, to have climbed
Mount Everest. She has since then bought an island near the artic circle and helps her fellow citizens
to having a better life. It was highly interesting and the landscape was breathtaking. How lucky to be able
to own your own island and live there.

'Randi was the first Norwegian woman to climb Everest, and now she uses her life on a remote Arctic Circle island to inspire others - including Ben. Randi was the first Norwegian woman to climb Everest, and now she uses her life on a remote Arctic Circle island to inspire others - including Ben'

I am so excited!!

One of my favorite Sci fiction books is being adapted into a Mini Series. It's being adapted by MGM+ which does not have much of a track record. but that may be in this case a good thing.

The book is The Earth Abides. If you want to read it, you may have to do some hunting. I finally found it on the Internet Archive.
Also @Chryssie and I discussed it like 4 years ago.

It is a post apocalyptic novel. And one of the best examples in the genre. It was published in 1949 and written by George R. Stewart.

It won numerous awards and is still considered one of the best and included in a lot of lists of great SF.

What I liked about it was how realistic or possible the story is. I re-read it during the Lock Down and now even tho I am more familiar with epidemiology, the premise still seems to be believable.

We are about to watch The Following, first episode.

I am going to watch Quiet on Set after this as SuicideBlonde mentioned it.

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Quiet on Set is absolutely jaw dropping! Hideous.

I remember Kenan & Kel being on British TV and Clarissa explains it all.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
Renegade Nell just came out today and I saw it reviewed in the paper and it sounded good.
I watched the first episode and it's really good.
It takes place in the 17th century England. Nell is forced into a life as a "highway Man". Something like Robin Hood but maybe a few centuries later. Really good costumes and sets, well done action sequences, and so far a really good story line.

My only complaint, which maybe is just quibbling is that they may have taken the diversity issue a little too far. I might complain of a lack of authenticity. but that seems irrelevant in a fantasy. There are women in pants. We see a few asians, I'm not sure there were any in 17th century England. We also saw a black nobleman - I think there was still slavery in 17th century England.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
We also saw a black nobleman - I think there was still slavery in 17th century England.

thanks for the recommendation

if you google it you will find there were some - only a few but it isn't incorrect

I also googled Asians and there were a lot that came in the 17th century

Emma JC

thanks for the recommendation

if you google it you will find there were some - only a few but it isn't incorrect

I also googled Asians and there were a lot that came in the 17th century

Emma JC
Very cool! I didn't subtract any points for those things (like I said it's a fantasy). but maybe I can give it a few extra for authenticity.

Having a diverse cast is good for a lot of reasons. Sometimes (like in this case) it seems kind of forced but still whether its for higher ratings, bigger audiences, or just "woke" its still a good thing (in my book)

Now that I have used the word woke, I got the idea to check the message boards. Sure enough a lot of the high ranking comments were about how woke the show was (mostly in a derogatory fashion). But I was also pleased to see that many of the comments were positive and they gave it a good rating.

71%Rotten Tomatoes
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/renegade_nell
6.9/10IMDb

69%Metacritic

my honey has been watching it and so I have been also, by default, although I have ignored most of it as it doesn't appeal to me - he seems to be enjoying it because he loves anything space related - I read while he watches

Emma JC
I don't know how Netflix calculates stuff but 3 body has already fallen off the top ten. it's an expensive show, too. so maybe there won't be a second season.

OMG.
One of my favorite books, A Gentleman in Moscow, is now a TV series. I hadn't heard anything about it till today. They released it yesterday.
I'm half way thru Renegade Nell, I'll finish that and then start Gentleman.
It's getting mixed reviews but I watched the trailer and it looks wonderful.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC