TV & Film The TV Room

I have been watching the Nevers on HBO. OMG, it is so good.
Science Fiction/Fantasy. Mostly. With some supernatural or maybe aliens involved. (or both!).
Plus it takes place in London at the turn of the century (think Downton Abbey). The science fiction part is SteamPunk style. There are people with super powers, too. There is mystery, suspense, romance, and quite a bit of action including fight scenes and chase scenes. Plus because its in the Victorian era its a costume drama or a period piece. Sets, costumes are great. Castles and carriages too.
the cast is mostly young women - and that is a still a big plus in my book.
The themes include friendship, human rights, compassion, and probably a few more I can't think of.
OH, the characters are SO likable.
the likable characters are maybe a bit of a hinderance cause you find out how much it bothers you when they are threatened and bad things happen. And since the creator is Josh Weadon you know that not everyone is going to make it to the end.
I had to stop a few episodes and take some time off cause of the stress.

There are six episodes in the frist season, and I'm pretty sure another 6 episodes will be out next year.

I have been watching "Little House on the Prairie" as I never watched it when it was on back in the 70's. There was a continuation of the original story called "Little House on the Prairie: New Beginnings" after the parents left the show and the focus became Laura and the children were all grown up. Today they went back to the pilot to start over and I have to say, it was pretty bad. After being on for years and years, it did improve and I have enjoyed watching the shows.

Last night I watched How I Became a Super Hero on Netflix.

I liked it a lot more than I expected which is always nice.

I've always liked super hero movies but it seems like the category is getting awfully crowded lately.
It made me think that there must be categories or subgenera's of super hero movies (like there are in murder mysteries and fantasy adventures) . A quick google revealed some articles on it but they were more based on plots. I was thinking of of categories based on background.

Anyway I would put this one in the "super heroes are commonplace" category.

Its also a French movie made by Netflix which sort of surprised me. I guess it makes sense not only for Netflix to show Movies and TV show from other nations but also to make some of their own.

The other thing that suprised me was that I've always thought of Super heroes to be an American thing. So it was unexpected to find that other nationalities like super heroes, too.

I've been watching a lot of old episodes of He-Man / Masters of the Universe recently on YT. I know it's stupid, but it's soothing. The good guys are good, the baddies are evil, and the good guys always win at the end of the episode. There's even someone explaining the moral of the story at the end of every episode, just in case you didn't get it. I think the world could need a little more He-Man / Masters of the Universe these days.

On that note, I saw an article somewhere saying new episodes were in the making, to be released on Netflix, I believe. Although, I'm concerned they will ruin it. It said something about "exploring darker themes blah blah", which makes it sound as if it'll be revealed that He-Man is actually a jerk and we'll learn that Skeletor is evil because he was bullied in school. Not sure I'm a fan of that sort of development!

I've been watching a lot of old episodes of He-Man / Masters of the Universe recently on YT. I know it's stupid, but it's soothing. The good guys are good, the baddies are evil, and the good guys always win at the end of the episode. There's even someone explaining the moral of the story at the end of every episode, just in case you didn't get it. I think the world could need a little more He-Man / Masters of the Universe these days.
See, you just described what Hallmark means to millions of fans. 😍

we watched the first season of Stargirl on Prime - it was a bit slow to start and then was good - season two starts on August 11

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
Stargirl is another one of my secret guilty pleasures.

I started watching it because I like the premise and I also thought the premise had a lot of potential for various things the show could do.

The show takes place in the present but the story is rooted in the past. And the superheroes of the past are familiar looking - I think they might be like the original DC superheroes. Which doesn't work out mathamatecially but hey it makes for an interesting idea.

I guess Stargirl is a real comic book but I've never heard of it or seen it.

Like many CW shows its audience and its main characters are teen-centric.
The teen aspect turns out to be sort of cool. Like many TV shows the story would be over in 10 minutes if the main character did the smart thing. but you can pretty much rely on teens doing the wrong thing.

There are also some cool family dynamics and they even sneak in a little social commentary here and there.

Watched the first episode of the second season.
sort of slow moving. Seemed like an entire plot thread could have been left out, too.
But we got a glimpse of a new super hero and a bit of the next bad guy.

Reactions: Emma JC
See, you just described what Hallmark means to millions of fans. 😍
My sister is turning me into a Hallmark fan. I think part of it has been the pandemic. I wasn't happy watching my usual crime dramas and have pretty much stopped watching anything that smacks of sadness. Too much of it in the real world right now. I've been watching a bunch of Christmas-themed movies my sister has saved (we share a Philo account, which has the Hallmark channel, so she can save the movies as it's in her name). They are completely predictable and sappy, but I'm OK with that right now. Plus, some of the male actors are pretty adorable. :) The latest one I watched was Five Star Christmas. The writing in it actually wasn't half bad. I might even have to find that one on DVD. It's a repeat watch for sure.

Yes I liked five star christmas. I was surprised as I’m not a fan of the lead actress and usually skip her movies. But I thought this one was good.

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Yes I liked five star christmas. I was surprised as I’m not a fan of the lead actress and usually skip her movies. But I thought this one was good.
Yes, I liked the other characters more than hers, haha. That lead actor, I've seen him on other shows, maybe on soaps years ago. I thought the woman who played Chef Francesca was adorable. And the brother and sister-in-law were hilarious.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
we started watching Click Bait on Netflix last night - it is a limited series and there are 8 episodes - we stayed up until almost 2:00am watching it and almost decided to keep going but fortunately common sense prevailed and we went to bed - so I guess you could conclude that we are enjoying it

Emma JC

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou
I've seen the first 3 seasons of Manifest and by the end I was getting tired of it.
but I'll watch the 4th season anyway. just to see how it turns out.
Hopefully it won't be as disappointing as the 7th season of Lost

we started watching Click Bait on Netflix last night - it is a limited series and there are 8 episodes - we stayed up until almost 2:00am watching it and almost decided to keep going but fortunately common sense prevailed and we went to bed - so I guess you could conclude that we are enjoying it

Emma JC

finished it last night and it is well worth watching - I had read some of the reviews where people said they never saw the plot twist at the end coming and thought they had it all figured out..... we also thought we had it figured out.... NOPE

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou