TV & Film The TV Room

I have been watching a Japanese TV series called Watashi no uchi niwa, nannimo nai (Have Nothing in My House). The main character Mai comes from a family of hoarders. After their family house gets destroyed in a earth quake, it gets rebuild, but this time Mai sets out rules to keep the common rooms tidy.
Mai is something you could call an extreme minimalist, she dreams of living like an ascetic: living with nothing at all, or with less than the bare minimum. But in practice she keeps what is needed and tries to get rid of everything else. Her husband Tsutomu has stated that Mai wants to throw away everything that doesn't have something to do with preparing food.
I don't know if I'll keep watching the show. I'm now in episode 5. At first, the show was hilarious, but I don't really enjoy drama that much. But I like almost everything Japanese. And Tsutomu is a really nice character. Maybe too nice. Perhaps we'll find out that he lives double life and is an serial killer? And the series is sometimes very funny. And there are cats! But no scratching poles for them, no super cat highways, no multiple litterboxes. :( Hmm. I might get back on watching it every now and then. Maybe.
There are also some helpful tips for those who want to declutter but don't know where to start. Even though, for those I'd recommend Netflix series Tidying Up With Marie Kondo, or books from Kondo and Fumio Sasaki.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched the Marie Kondo show. I had read her book before that.
You have? Wasn't it one of the best shows ever? I have also watched it, multiple times and read her books. :)

It just came to me, Mai and Tsutomu are probably both asexual. I did wonder why I liked their relationship so much. And I also learned that there are only 6 episodes, so the series fortunately doesn't go on and on forever and is easy to get through with.

I thought the one with the woman who had been through a bereavement was very touching.
Yes, it was.
Decluttering can help one heal faster. It gets rid of the stagnant energy in the house and lets everything flow smoother. On the contrary to the belief that items and photos are needed as mementos, I think it's the opposite: the less clutter you have, the easier it's to access all the memories. That's because decluttering clears up not only physical space, but also mental space.

Reactions: PTree15 and Raven
I have been riveted to the George Floyd trial. Doing a lot of crying. 😭 I’ve had to mute the tv several times.
This is the first time I’ve ever followed a trial so closely. I’m finding the process fascinating.

we finished watching SnowPiercer, the series, last night - I only half watched it as I mostly read a book while he watched but being on the same couch I was able to get the gist - not sure how I feel about it

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I have been riveted to the George Floyd trial. Doing a lot of crying. 😭 I’ve had to mute the tv several times.
This is the first time I’ve ever followed a trial so closely. I’m finding the process fascinating.
I can't watch that. The news shows enough and it is very emotional. I watched the Casey Anthony trial back when that all happened. It was local so was especially fascinating.

we finished watching SnowPiercer, the series, last night - I only half watched it as I mostly read a book while he watched but being on the same couch I was able to get the gist - not sure how I feel about it

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
I watched the movie but have not seen the series. I don't think I want to either. The movie was fairly disturbing.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I started to watch the miniseries The Chosen, recommended by a friend. At first I though that it was one of the most cringeworthy things ever. I can't stand it when actors talk "bad English" when they want to portray themselves as non-English. But there are some aspects that I really enjoy. She recommended the show to me because I told her that I can't get through the old testament, but have read the new one and that I find stories about Jesus interesting.
I liked how Mary of Magdalene was depicted as mentally ill and traumatised rather than being literally possessed. That translates better in the modern world. And instead of needing exorcism by some ego driven person, all she needed was that someone would see who she really is, with her flaws and brokenness and still love her unconditionally and fully to start her healing journey.
And it was also interesting how Matthew was clearly depicted as autistic. I actually looked it up if it was meant to be so and I read that it was the filmmakers idea since Matthews book is very detail oriented. Maybe it also was said during the series, but I skipped the parts where the guy speaks.

I'm hooked. It's interesting how people who have a lot of material possessions worry about losing those, but Jesus who has literally almost nothing and is homeless is only interested in Gods will. This is well made. The actors are doing a good job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Season finale of When Calls The Heart. Thank goodness. This season was the worst. They got a new show runner and he destroyed the whole show with his brilliant idea of creating a love triangle for the main character. He ruined a perfectly good wholesome show. I’m so mad. Not to mention it looks like she will not choose the guy I like. :pout:

• Wow
Reactions: Emma JC
Well, it was well done regardless of the outcome. Luckily i do like the other guy too. But it’s just so odd they took that direction with it. But it was very romantic and sweet. As long as my guy finds happiness next season I’ll be ok with it. If they pair him with who they’re hinting at, however, I will stop watching. The actress is great but her character is gag worthy lol.

We have started watching the most recent Will & Grace series.

I'm enjoying season 5 of Mad Men at the moment. Anybody else swoony over Don Draper? Cue love heart eyes emoji :heart_eyes: