The faux meat thread

As usual Vox has a good article to read. This one has a more good quotes than I can put in here. so read it yourself. but to get you a little more interested.

But years of research on the environmental impact of food make one thing clear: Plant proteins, even if processed into imitation burgers, have smaller climate, water, and land impacts than conventional meats. Apart from environmental impact, reducing meat production would also reduce animal suffering and the risk of both animal-borne disease and antibiotic resistance.​
Fossil fuels do make up a far greater proportion of emissions in the US and globally, but even if we reduced energy emissions down to zero, demand for meat and dairy alone could make us exceed critical levels of global warming. That makes shifting diets away from meat a critical tool in preventing global temperatures from rising above 1.5°C or 2°C by 2100.​
With a billion and a half cows on the planet — raised for both beef and dairy — that adds up to about 9 percent of all global greenhouse gas emissions alone.​
every 12 calories from corn and soy fed to a pig provides just one calorie of meat back​

The charts are worth looking at too. This article has some of the facts and figures that I and some other members have been discussing, too.

What a cool company. I guess you can get their products in the EU.

“If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be vegetarian.”​
Convinced the food industry needed to be more transparent about ingredients and processes, Planted made this literal by building an enormous glasshouse around their production in the heart of their Switzerland-based factory.​
Aiming to help consumers manage the switch from animal to plant proteins without compromising taste or nutrition, Planted now offers pulled pork and schnitzel, as well as kebab meat that comes loaded onto skewers ready to be theatrically sheared in front of customers.​
The original chicken is still available and can be grilled, deep-fried, baked, or enjoyed straight from the pack in a salad or bowl.​
“We are solving the problem quite simply with love for animals. Those who love animals reduce or completely renounce the consumption of animal products. Fewer animal products, less slaughter, less animal suffering – it’s that simple.”​

Most of the articles I find and post here are written by and for vegans. (there have been some good exceptions). This article written by a self confessed Carnivore has a different and refreshing perspective. Plus some hot news.

The global population is expected to reach 9.7 billion people by 2050. Industrial meat production in its current form will be completely unsustainable. The ship is going to sail whether I’m on the boat or not. The Consumer Electronics Showcase (CES) in Las Vegas last week proved as much when I met companies that are convinced they have solved the taste conundrum and are ready to usher in the meatless revolution.​

I really like this guy's take on it. In fact earlier in this thread I said almost the same thing.

“We as a population will have made the transition into plant-based foods when we stop trying to make it taste like some other animal,” he told me at CES. “It’s a plant. You need to make it taste as good as it can as a plant rather than trying to make it into something it’s not—an animal.”​

Most of the articles I find and post here are written by and for vegans. (there have been some good exceptions). This article written by a self confessed Carnivore has a different and refreshing perspective. Plus some hot news.

The global population is expected to reach 9.7 billion people by 2050. Industrial meat production in its current form will be completely unsustainable. The ship is going to sail whether I’m on the boat or not. The Consumer Electronics Showcase (CES) in Las Vegas last week proved as much when I met companies that are convinced they have solved the taste conundrum and are ready to usher in the meatless revolution.​

I really like this guy's take on it. In fact earlier in this thread I said almost the same thing.

“We as a population will have made the transition into plant-based foods when we stop trying to make it taste like some other animal,” he told me at CES. “It’s a plant. You need to make it taste as good as it can as a plant rather than trying to make it into something it’s not—an animal.”​
Oh yes! I loved Beyond Burgers until they made them taste "meatier". I hate Impossible because it's "meatier"
I grew up with soy burgers in elementary school, and other soy products. I wanted those foods before I considered being veg!
My sons also grew up with Boca or Morningstar products, particulary the chik'n ones. They didn't like real chicken patties, even though they ate chicken
What's becoming increasingly hard with vegan offerings is the multitude of vegan "types" of diet
We now have "plant based" which is seen more as flexitarian instead of limited, so just like the "plant strong".
You have your WFPB people who complain when they learn there's oil or sugar
You have foodie omnivore focus that restaurants seem to think are threatened if it's actually vegan, but just enough to want to try it--like KFC plant based chicken fried in ..... chicken oil
Then there is what I often face--vegan restaurants and foods that feature food I've never liked. Butternut squash on pasta pretending to be a cheese thing. Undeclared cilantro--I say nothing with cilantro and have to wait for answers, then often get it anyway! Avocado in things that can't be removed and are a focus of the dish, like a plain veggie sandwich and all they had to top it was avocado mayo 🙄
Trader Joes is my worst offender! They offer a meatless pizza where the 'meats' taste of anise. The vegan mayo has avocado. Every frozen entree has sometime I won't or can't eat
Then there is the trend to lump other health trends with vegan. Gluten free. Organic. Soy free. Nut free. When companies can't even learn the basics of making food without animal products, is it really necessary to attempt to please everyone? Seems like a far greater percent of foods labeled vegan also try and appease allergens
Thing is, it isn't hard to just offer vegan friendly options that simply exclude animal products.

Vegan mayo
pasta dishes
vegetables without butter
soups
salads

I just heated Morningstar buffalo chik nuggets. They've changed. I'd been buying these for so many years, and now they not only lack any hint of heat, but are that stringy texture like what you get when you mix just vwg with tofu and bake.
That's fine, and yet another reason it's so hard for companies to please a vegan audience I guess. We've been perfecting how we like recipes for so long we're (I'm) set in our ways. Look at all the recipes for mac & cheese or mayo!

Yeah, I would Never eat it.
But, for those who won’t give up eating meat and for animal food it is a good solution...
There are people who give up animal products completely, and just eat the alternatives. It gets easier and easier to go meat free & vegan these days, even in a rural place like Mississippi.

Not gonna lie, felt a little weird when everyone at work found out I don't eat meat, but I'm over here eating meatless meatballs, vegan chicken tenders, etc, lol.
There was a Christmas party and everyone wondered why I wasn't eating.
My boss is against the alternatives because he feels they're unhealthy, thinks they're full of harmful chemicals.

Last edited:
There was a Christmas party and everyone wondered why I wasn't eating.
My boss is against the alternatives because he feels they're unhealthy, thinks they're full of harmful chemicals.
I have several friends who are the same way. You can’t argue with them. They also believe that “soy is bad for you”.

I have several friends who are the same way. You can’t argue with them. They also believe that “soy is bad for you”.
Their food probably has more harmful stuff, unless they're one of those people who go out of their way to avoid it. I doubt they even avoid soy since it's in a ton of food

I had a McPlant this morning. motivation was part curiosity, and part support for the non-meat industry. But I rarely go to a McDs. One of my vegan friends won't even let me stop there for a coffee on road trips.

I still haven't had Carl Jr.'s Beyond burger. The McPlant is better tasting than an Impossible Whopper.

Pricing wise I'm not sure. Maybe more expensive that BK but less expensive than Carl's. ( I was going to BK on Whopper Wednesday's for a while but I got tired of them).

I pulled into the drive thru just before 11 AM and had to pull over and wait for my order. So I got my burger right off the grill I could really tell it was fresh. BK is supposed to make things to order but I don't think any of my whoppers were this fresh - or tasty.

By the time I got home my French fries were cooling off. I put them in my new air fryer for 2 minutes and they were great, too. Even the coffee was pretty good.

I think I will have to go to Carl's just for the comparison. And one of these days I want to try out KFC's chicken free nuggets - Does anyone know if they have reached California.

California ends its indoor mask mandate today or tomorrow. I feel like I should celebrate with a trip to a restaurant with indoor dining.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
  • Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
There are no KFCs nearby.
There used to be one a block away. (across the street from the BlockBuster.:)
There is one on the way home from the movie theatre. I haven't been to the movies in two years, tho.
I'm not going out of my way but I'll try and hit one up soon.

Reactions: HappyRoxy
Oh yes! I loved Beyond Burgers until they made them taste "meatier". I hate Impossible because it's "meatier"
When did this change happen roughly? Was it years ago, or recently? They seemed pretty meaty when I had one in September 2018 for the first time, and it doesn't seem to have changed much when I tried them again in 2019-2021.

I was in a part of southern Santiago (Chile) a couple of weeks ago, and I had to drop off my car for its annual service at the dealership. Far from the trendy parts of town with all the vegan eateries, but it was lunch time and I had a few hours to spare while they did the service, and too far from home to go back. But when I opened Happy Cow on my phone I found that there were a few vegan eateries within walking distance in this random part of the city that is all industrial and working class in a Latin American city. That seems like progress.

They were small places and the one I went to was tables in the street, not really a proper restaurant, no toilet available.

Here is the website https://www.taoveg.cl/#!

It was virtually all fake meat on the menu though. However I chose one of those veggie pot things with no fake meat.

I usually choose the fake meat in a non vegan restaurant where it is sometimes either that or salad or fries.

The previous vegan restaurant I went to some months back in Santiago they had a different attitude and most of the menu was not using fake meat, which I think is better. However in the fake meat section of the menu they wrote "transitioning" as if to say you're not really a vegetarian/vegan yet if you still think you need fake meat. I think that's kind of patronising to the customers to actually write that.

When did this change happen roughly? Was it years ago, or recently? They seemed pretty meaty when I had one in September 2018 for the first time, and it doesn't seem to have changed much when I tried them again in 2019-2021.
Within the past year I'd say.They now have the 'now meatier' on the label. So far I've only seen it on the burgers-not sure about the ground.
I haven't seen anyone else comment on the change, but I tried them twice and really dislike the new. My sons didn't think they were as good, but definitely meatier. Exactly what I dislike about Impossible

Hasn't hit their sausage, and it better not! I love the hot Italian and the breakfast links and patties

• Informative
Reactions: Jamie in Chile
I guess my taste buds are not that refined because I didn't really notice that big of a change in the Beyond Burgers. I actually don't mind the "meatier" version at all. I think Impossible Burgers are ok too but I still prefer the Beyond ones. I was a the Walmart Neighborhood Market earlier and they have really expanded their faux meat and veg frozen section. There are some new brands to try.

Thanks for letting me know Silva.

To anyone: Is it still like 2018/2019 that Beyond and Impossible still fairly dominant for products that really taste like meat - at least for beef - products where you might barely tell the difference? Or are there tons of products and companies that can do that now?