The faux meat thread

Visited some friends yesterday (yea things are getting back to normal - BTW they both had covid back in February). Anyway they are meat eaters and were complaining about the price of beef and pork. After I left them I went to the store to get some cash and milk. while I was there I stopped at the butcher's department and perused the prices.
Now its been a long time since I paid attention to meat prices but they did seem to me to be super high.
A pound of beef patties were on sale for $6 (marked down from $10)
A pound of impossible burger patties were $4 ( marked down from $6)

Impossible sausage was on sale too but almost twice the price of regular sausage.

Can I get you guys to go visit a store and get some prices.
In the meantime, is it to soon to declare that the cows are winning.

In Sainsburys (UK), 200g pig bacon can be as low as 85p (somehow), and the posh stuff goes up to £2.75
120g vegan "This is not bacon"* is £3.00. Most packs of vegan bacon of any size goes for ~£3.00.

*very tasty btw, if you like that sort of thing.

The bog standard meat or veg burgers/mince are about the same price. You can get very cheap vegan or meat burgers/mince (I know which I'd trust more).

However, at the high end, Beyond burgers are £5.00 for two patties, and e.g. 2 Wagyu beef patties are £4.00. We still don't have the Impossible burger over here, but I expect it to be at least as expensive as Beyond.

I prefer to faff in the kitchen, but I buy these products to support them. I do understand why making a very accurate meat is anathema to some vegans, but I'm very glad these products exist and are getting more than a toehold in the mainstream supermarkets.

Let's just say that meat hasn't lost yet!

@Lou you mentioned "
I have this fantasy/nightmare that someday in the future all my friends will feel really guilty or stupid about having not gone vegan with me. And will lambast me for not talking them into being vegan.
I would tell them I tried.
and they would say, you should have tried harder. You knew this stuff and didn't tell us.
I would say, I told you, you wouldn't listen
and they would say you should have made us

and so on." I hear you.

No one ever knocked on my door telling me to become vegan.

I begged my doctor, starting 30 years ago, "how can I bring my blood pressure down", she asked me if I was exercising, "yes I walk 4-8 miles per day", she asked me if I ate healthy, "yes I don't eat junk food or processed food and make almost everything from scratch", and she said, "you need to take these pills and these pills for the rest of your life" and she shrugged her shoulders. It's not a night mare, it's a reality.

I like reading the discussion about the serious concern of cruelty to animals but I ask you because my interest is health, what about the cruelty of not telling people, the human animal, how to eat to become healthy? Isn't that just as important? Is it cruel not to tell them, to give them facts? Cruelty to humans.

I did of course, start eating wfpb'ed two years ago, and my blood pressure is much lower, but why can't anyone get a good answer out of regular doctors even when begging for the information?
Who has a moral responsibility to tell the human animal the facts of healthy eating? If not doctors, then @Lou, it's up to you.;)
:eek::laughing::blush:

@Lou you mentioned "
I have this fantasy/nightmare that someday in the future all my friends will feel really guilty or stupid about having not gone vegan with me. And will lambast me for not talking them into being vegan.
I would tell them I tried.
and they would say, you should have tried harder. You knew this stuff and didn't tell us.
I would say, I told you, you wouldn't listen
and they would say you should have made us

and so on." I hear you.
OMG, I have that same nightmare!
Oh, wait, were you quoting me from somewhere else?
I like reading the discussion about the serious concern of cruelty to animals but I ask you because my interest is health, what about the cruelty of not telling people, the human animal, how to eat to become healthy? Isn't that just as important? Is it cruel not to tell them, to give them facts? Cruelty to humans.

I went vegan for the animals. Only later did I discover it was better for the animals and the environment.

when I do try to convince someone to eat P-B I rarely bring up the ethical arguments anymore. Instead I focus on the health and environmental aspects. Seems like I have the least amount of luck with the health angle. a little more effective on the environment aspects. I think if someone is well read and informed he has heard more about the enviromenental effects of meat. So the ground work is done. The health aspects are fuzzier in mainstream media. but I think its getting clearer.

I have a friend with diabetes and another with gout and another with High blood pressure. I've tried to tell them to eat more PB but yeah their doctors don't tell them they should go PB so they don't listen so much to me. Thus the nightmare.
I did of course, start eating wfpb'ed two years ago, and my blood pressure is much lower, but why can't anyone get a good answer out of regular doctors even when begging for the information?
Who has a moral responsibility to tell the human animal the facts of healthy eating? If not doctors, then @Lou, it's up to you.;)
:eek::laughing::blush:

My health was always pretty good. so my own personal experiences with doctors was pretty non existant. Sleep was the only thing anyone recommended I get more of.

When I did get sick last year, my RD was very positive about my vegan diet. but my credibility with my friends was shot to hell. For a few months I was the sickest of the bunch. So what did I know.

@Lou I quoted you from this thread, just earlier this year.

Vegans, wfpb'ed ....we can get sick. It's not a guarantee. It's a statistical better chance at health.

• Haha
Reactions: Andy_T and Lou
Beyond Burgers were buy one get one free at Publix this week. I think they are around $5.89 a package. Impossible Burgers were also on sale so I got a package of them also. I think they were around $5.

Reactions: Lou
I was at the discount store yesterday and passed on getting more Beyond anything.They had a good selection, and also had Impossible Burgers and ground. I went back this morning--all but 2 Impossible grounds were left and a couple Beyond Burgers! :up:

Personally, I'm not sure I would eat lab grown meat. It may not hurt any animals but it is still meat with all the adverse health effects of meat.
However, I guess I'm pro lab meat the same way I'm pro faux meat. Not necessarily for myself but that in the end it does result in less animals harvested.
Anyway, it seemed all sort of theoretical and far in the future stuff. Till now. Its really happening.

It might work for pet and zoo food. Several years ago, I went to the Big Cat Rescue in Wisconsin, and they were feeding chicken to the tigers. Lab grown meat might be a suitable and humane food replacement for these animals.

Visited some friends yesterday (yea things are getting back to normal - BTW they both had covid back in February). Anyway they are meat eaters and were complaining about the price of beef and pork. After I left them I went to the store to get some cash and milk. while I was there I stopped at the butcher's department and perused the prices.
Now its been a long time since I paid attention to meat prices but they did seem to me to be super high.
A pound of beef patties were on sale for $6 (marked down from $10)
A pound of impossible burger patties were $4 ( marked down from $6)

Impossible sausage was on sale too but almost twice the price of regular sausage.

Beyond Burgers sells an 8 pack for $7.99 at Kroger/Metro Market. 10 pack Impossible Burgers $14.99.

These prices have been the same for quite a while.

I haven't tried any faux meat, or faux cheese, or faux processed anything I haven't made myself. We just added tofu a couple months ago and we are getting used to finding ways to use it.

Reactions: vesper818
Beyond meat chicken tenders

Beyond Meat on Thursday launched its latest meat alternative, plant-based chicken tenders. The company says the plant-based tenders are made with non-GMO fava beans and peas. They contain 14g of protein, are made with no antibiotics or hormones, and have zero cholesterol.​
The tenders aren't available in stores yet and are only available at 400 various restaurants in the US.​
Chicken prices have been rising for some time. Data from the USDA and JPMorgan show average chicken prices are up about 80% over last year, with tenders going for more than double.​

Delivery platform Grubhub has released its third annual “State of the Plate” report and a surprising plant-based meal is the most ordered item in the first six months of 2021. While the spicy chicken sandwich held the top spot in Grubhub’s mid-year report last year, the plant-based sausage wrap is the top contender in 2021 with orders up by 549 percent. Other meatless orders on Grubhub also experienced a boost in the last six months, including barbecue cauliflower wings (up by 302 percent); mushroom and tofu broth ramen (up by 299 percent); and grilled vegetable hummus bowls (up by 242 percent).​

speaking of fava beans... saw this article yesterday and it is very interesting - apparently some people have a hard time digesting fava beans so they have a fix in and part of the reason it is so important is it is good for the environment and also because of the popularity of plant-based eating

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
They didn't explicitly state it but it sounds to me like they are genetically modifying the Fava bean.

The 400 million people worldwide that are "Vicene Intolerant" are approximately 5 percent of the population. Hopefully we will have a choice with what kind of Fava product we buy.

Basically this is the best news for Chickens since they staged that mass escaped from Tweedy Farms.

More on Beyond Chicken. this article is from Vox which totally gets the whole "factory farming chicken is bad" thing.

The breaded tenders work well on their own or as part of a sandwich or wrap, which is how some restaurants are serving them. (You won’t be able to find the tenders in grocery stores yet, but Beyond says it’ll soon expand into hotels, college campuses, and stadiums.)​
Beyond Chicken tenders have 40 percent less saturated fat than a typical restaurant tender, they have no cholesterol, and they’re made with no antibiotics. (Though, like regular chicken tenders, Beyond’s are high in sodium.)​
Plus, when you opt for chickenless chicken, you know that you’re reducing the demand for chickens raised in horrible conditions on factory farms. Those giant, industrialized farms also damage the environment and ratchet up the risk of emerging pandemics and antibiotic resistance — so you can feel good knowing you’re not supporting that system.​
“We call it hedonistic altruism,” Ethan Brown, the founder and CEO of Beyond Meat, told me. “If we can provide a delicious sensory experience for the consumer and they can also feel really great about what they’re doing for the Earth — it’s a win.”​
About 99 percent of all chickens we eat come from factory farms. These aren’t the idyllic, pastoral farms we’re taught to picture as children, with birds free to wander around in the greenery. Instead, chickens are raised in gigantic, noisy, overcrowded warehouses filled with ammonia fumes. Due to genetic selection for larger size, they grow so fast that their legs can’t support their weight. After six weeks of misery, they’re killed.​
“Animal welfare is a really important consideration,” he said. “In terms of just the number of sentient beings — the sheer number of captive beings — chickens are up there. It’s a different thing than beef, for sure.”​

Reactions: Emma JC
Basically this is the best news for Chickens since they staged that mass escaped from Tweedy Farms.

More on Beyond Chicken. this article is from Vox which totally gets the whole "factory farming chicken is bad" thing.

The breaded tenders work well on their own or as part of a sandwich or wrap, which is how some restaurants are serving them. (You won’t be able to find the tenders in grocery stores yet, but Beyond says it’ll soon expand into hotels, college campuses, and stadiums.)​
Beyond Chicken tenders have 40 percent less saturated fat than a typical restaurant tender, they have no cholesterol, and they’re made with no antibiotics. (Though, like regular chicken tenders, Beyond’s are high in sodium.)​
Plus, when you opt for chickenless chicken, you know that you’re reducing the demand for chickens raised in horrible conditions on factory farms. Those giant, industrialized farms also damage the environment and ratchet up the risk of emerging pandemics and antibiotic resistance — so you can feel good knowing you’re not supporting that system.​
“We call it hedonistic altruism,” Ethan Brown, the founder and CEO of Beyond Meat, told me. “If we can provide a delicious sensory experience for the consumer and they can also feel really great about what they’re doing for the Earth — it’s a win.”​
About 99 percent of all chickens we eat come from factory farms. These aren’t the idyllic, pastoral farms we’re taught to picture as children, with birds free to wander around in the greenery. Instead, chickens are raised in gigantic, noisy, overcrowded warehouses filled with ammonia fumes. Due to genetic selection for larger size, they grow so fast that their legs can’t support their weight. After six weeks of misery, they’re killed.​
“Animal welfare is a really important consideration,” he said. “In terms of just the number of sentient beings — the sheer number of captive beings — chickens are up there. It’s a different thing than beef, for sure.”​

I'm much more interested in the breading to be honest. A few years back my son bought Popeyes chicken and picked off some breading I ate. I loved their breading!