The faux meat thread

Why is there such a priority on making something that tastes "just like chicken".

They ought to be working on something that tastes Better than chicken.

Because these companies target flexitariran consumers.

The rising popularity of flexitarian diets has helped to drive demand for meat-free products. Many consumers perceive that plant-based foods are a healthier option, and this notion is the key driver behind the reduction in meat consumption in recent years.

• Friendly
Reactions: EllieW and Emma JC

Bezos, Gates back fake meat and dairy made from fungus as next big alt-protein

PUBLISHED SAT, JUL 3 2021

• Chicago-based Nature’s Fynd has meatless breakfast patties and dairy-free cream cheese hitting grocers’ shelves later this year, and and other meatless products including chicken-less nuggets in development.
  • The alternative foods sector grew U.S. retail sales 27% in 2020, and bringing the total market value to $7 billion.
  • Nature’s Fynd is building a 35,000-square-foot factory on the site of Chicago’s former Union Stockyards, the epicenter of the 20th-century meatpacking industry.
Nature’s Fynd, based in Chicago, has raised $158 million in funding from investors including Bezos, Gates, and Al Gore. The company’s meatless breakfast patties and dairy-free cream cheese are scheduled to hit grocers’ shelves later this year, with other meatless products including burgers, chicken-less nuggets and yogurt in development.

The alternative foods sector skyrocketed in 2020, growing U.S. retail sales 27%, and bringing the total market value to $7 billion, according to the Plant-Based Foods Association (PBFA), a trade group comprising more than 200 member companies. Meanwhile, shipments of alt-protein products from food service distributors to commercial restaurants rose 60% year-over-year in April, according to research firm NPD Group.

The supermarket had Gardein Seven Grain Crispy Tenders marked way down. I had never tried them before.
Just had them for the first time as an afternoon snack.

Wow. I really liked them. I didn't even have any dipping sauce.

Hopefully they weren't marked down cause they are being discontinued.

There are other similar products. I imagine Beyond and Impossible make similar things. Has anyone tried them?
recommendations? Favorites?

Can you make your own?

The supermarket had Gardein Seven Grain Crispy Tenders marked way down. I had never tried them before.

There are other similar products. I imagine Beyond and Impossible make similar things. Has anyone tried them?

Can you make your own?
I like those tenders, I either cut them up and throw them on top of a salad, or have them alongside a salad, dipped in sweet chili sauce. I'm not aware of any other products similar, though we live in different countries, so you might have more options where you are.

I have some of those Gardein tenders in my freezer. I have had them before and liked them. I haven't had them in a while. There are many different chik'n products. Most are "nuggets". I really like the Incogmeato ones from Morningstar but WalMart didn't have any yesterday so I got the Beyond nuggets to try. I had a coupon for those.

I have some of those Gardein tenders in my freezer. I have had them before and liked them. I haven't had them in a while. There are many different chik'n products. Most are "nuggets". I really like the Incogmeato ones from Morningstar but WalMart didn't have any yesterday so I got the Beyond nuggets to try. I had a coupon for those.
I may have to conduct a taste test.

After a quick google search three seems to be at least 15 different chicken tenders and chicken nuggets out now. A few in restaurants and many available in the freezer sections of stores.
There are also a dozen taste tests on YouTube.
In the past I've found the taste tests to be of limited value. I don't always agree on what some other person thinks taste great.
But is seems like most of the tasters agreed that Impossible and Beyond were front runners. Not that surprising.
I was surprised that Trader Joe's makes one. I've never noticed it but then I never really looked.

I like those tenders, I either cut them up and throw them on top of a salad, or have them alongside a salad, dipped in sweet chili sauce. I'm not aware of any other products similar, though we live in different countries, so you might have more options where you are.
I do the same with the salad, and I love them chopped up in a wrap with lots of veggies and Italian dressing. I just bought some as well because they were on sale. I haven't had them in a while. I've also made them with buffalo sauce, too, which is quite tasty.

After a quick google search three seems to be at least 15 different chicken tenders and chicken nuggets out now. A few in restaurants and many available in the freezer sections of stores.
There are also a dozen taste tests on YouTube.
In the past I've found the taste tests to be of limited value. I don't always agree on what some other person thinks taste great.
But is seems like most of the tasters agreed that Impossible and Beyond were front runners. Not that surprising.
I was surprised that Trader Joe's makes one. I've never noticed it but then I never really looked.
I'd guess more than 15!
I wish the word 'meat' wasn't immediately thought to mean flesh! I don't feel I'm replicating flesh at all, but yes, I am doing the kinds of things people do with flesh, but with plants.
I've loved vegan meats all my life. My grade school served soy burgers, my mother loved trying different foods of other cultures and veg products, so as a teen I stopped eating meat. She really didn't cook so didn't care what I made myself.

My sons grew up eating Boca and Morningstar burgers and chik patties. I remember going to a fast food place when they were little with relatives where they were given real chicken patties and the older one spit it out saying it tasted bad.

I hate when I hear vegans asking why people make things to mimic animals when that's not even always the goal! I've known people who've never eaten meat that eat vegan meats. What do you say to that? My Indian friend was shocked to learn kala namak tasted like egg! OR does egg taste like kala namak? Since it's plants people use to flavor meats, and aging and smoke, maybe it's more why do people use plants to change the taste of flesh?

Can you make your own?

the Seven Grain is good and the best is the Gardein Chipotle Lime - I have tried a few other brands, Gardein is still my favourite

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
chipotle-lime-fingers-93580.png

Reactions: HappyRoxy and Lou
the Seven Grain is good and the best is the Gardein Chipotle Lime - I have tried a few other brands, Gardein is still my favourite

Emma JC
chipotle-lime-fingers-93580.png

The chipotle & lime tenders are also my favourite. However, other brands make excellent tenders/nuggets which are far cheaper compared to Gardein.

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou

Can you make your own?
I like the Gardein Tenders, eat them about once a week. But I will switch my allegiance to Beyond Nuggets if I ever see them available in the grocery store. I've had them from A&W and they're great.

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
I tried the Beyond Chiken tenders and they are very good! Now I will have to have the Gardein tenders to compare them.
I wish I could find them in the grocery store. So far no luck here. There is a place in Toronto that has them but we have to drive into Toronto to pick up the order and hubby hates driving there.

Emma JC
I've tried the Gardein Chipotle Lime ones and don't like them. So I'll stick with the Gardein 7 grain ones till I find the Beyond Nuggets. I like most of the Gardein stuff. I have tried other brands too and for the most part Beyond is my favorite and Gardein is the second in line.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Because these companies target flexitariran consumers.

The rising popularity of flexitarian diets has helped to drive demand for meat-free products. Many consumers perceive that plant-based foods are a healthier option, and this notion is the key driver behind the reduction in meat consumption in recent years.

Or people like me that are vegan but have a non-vegan significant other. Since I don't like meat I would have been happy with just a plateful of veggies but to accommodate my hubby I tried to make the transition as painless as possible by using faux meats. The funny thing is, I do think the faux meats taste way better than the real meat. I don't like real meat but love the faux meats. But if I had to make the transition as a single person, I would not have known as I wouldn't have bought them.